cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching fibreglass siding?

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure I'm not the first and probably not the last but today I backed into a mailbox. Didn't hurt the mailbox much but I did some damage to the back of my older fibreglass RV. Now I have about a 4"x6" section to repair. Any suggestions on how to go about it? I googled it but didn't find much about siding repair other than aluminum and was really surprised that I wasn't able to find small repair panels either.
8 REPLIES 8

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I like that option, Terry. Maybe you could a decorative metal plate (brand name badge or some art work) over it and seal it well.

Jose

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Best bet. Take it to a Glass man that knows what he is doing. Glass work is not real hard, but if you don't know how to do it. You can really mess it up.

X2.
Making a ugly DIY repair looks worse than the original damage itself.

x3
it's one thing to fill knicks, etc., with white bondo type material, but to repair a flat panel by slapping fiberglass cloth on it, your patch job will look like a patch job.
bumpy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course there is always the "Put a dummy vent over it" Could be more trouble than fixing the cracked area.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the flat wall the repair will be fairly simple. It's the painting or blending in that will be the problem. Body shop would be the best look.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Some additional reading on fiberglass repair on rv.net is here.
fiberglass repair info on rv.net

Here's a google search result with some hits on fiberglass repair.

fiberglass repair google search

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
Best bet. Take it to a Glass man that knows what he is doing. Glass work is not real hard, but if you don't know how to do it. You can really mess it up.

X2.
Making a ugly DIY repair looks worse than the original damage itself.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
The procedure would be the same for a repair on a fiberglass car like a Corvette or a boat. A boat repair center would be a great bet as there are many in your area.

There is a lot of information on the web about fiberglass boat repair.
That will show you what is needed. It is not difficult with the right materials, tools and time.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers