cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH Fire in Florida didn't know how to use escape window

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are several interviews with the good Samaritan that turned around to rescue these RV'ers when he saw a foot sticking out of one of the windows.

The mother and daughter said they did

NOT

know how to use the escape window and were trying to get out thru a smaller opening window and could not.

1.....Visual proof on why it is important to have an escaped ladder mounted somewhere near the window.
2......Visual proof why everyone in your RV knows how to use the escape window BEFORE you head out.

It looks as if the father in shock was trying to unhook the toad to drive around to the window to try and get his family out.

If that man did not turn around to help these people get out of this RV, IMHO there might have been fatalities.

And by gawd LEARN/TEACH everyone in your RV how to use the escape window.

EVERY person that rides in my MH gets my "In Case of Fire Drill". They are shown where all the fire extinguishers are, yes there are several from front to back, AND how to use the escape window.

Thank the Lord for that good Samaritan who turned around and that all got out safely.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/28737191/local-man-helps-rescue-3-people-from-burning-rv-in-lake-c...

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/28721208/fl-man-rescues-mother-daughter-from-burning-rv

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

19 REPLIES 19

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Can putting nitrogen instead of air in the tires, like so many suggest to do, cause this type of horrific fire from just a blown tire?
Unlikely to make much of a difference in the final outcome. Something caused the tire to go but the tire being the ignition point is a bit unlikely. The tire blew out for any number of reasons and could have damaged something that caused the fire. Considering there appears to be a liquid on the road burning under the driver's side tire I wondering about the generator. No mention if it was running or not and we'll probably never know.

Sorry to see the coach go and BZ Ross Thompson the RV Doctor. He can add life saver to his title. I'll keep him in mind if I ever need a mobile RV mechanic in the Orlando area.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us just have the regular windows but with a red handle to open for regular use and it is for crawling out also not the whole window opens, but just slides to the right half way!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
BTW. Did you all hear the owner say in the video that this horrific fire started when the front tire blew out? He said it exploded and caught fire by the time he walked around to the front? And he could hear more explosions.

Can putting nitrogen instead of air in the tires, like so many suggest to do, cause this type of horrific fire from just a blown tire?

I would guess that he had a dragging brake in the front which caused the heat to cause the tire to blow. Even if the tire was so far under-inflated that it blew, it should not have been hot enough to burst in to flames.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
BTW.

I think our air is mostly Nitrogen already. 78.09%.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
If you have window awning straps anchored below the window, the strap will not allow the window to open fully. Read that on the Escapees site. Changed my anchor to the window frame. It now will hold the window open while I get out.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BTW. Did you all hear the owner say in the video that this horrific fire started when the front tire blew out? He said it exploded and caught fire by the time he walked around to the front? And he could hear more explosions.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks for the tip on the silicone.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
Check the windows every year and lube the seal when you change your smoke alarm batteries.

NOT just any grease...sparkplug boot release silicone from NAPA, made for rubber and will not eat the seal. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for posting those tips. Good to know what type of lube to use.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
I check both escape windows every year to make sure they work. My only problem is I have never explained it to my wife. You bet she knows now.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
hottubkid wrote:
cyntdon2010 wrote:
In 5 year I have never opened my Fire escape window.

were camping in 2 weeks. its on my to do list.

Thanks Rockhillmanor. your post might save a life

Just be sure when you open the escape window to test it, that someone is outside to catch the window. Many of them fall away from the coach and would hit the ground and break. Don't think they are cheap. But do open the window to break the seal. I had a salesman try to show me how and he couldn' open the window because of the seal

Yes on above. My '04 Vectra owners manual says "Do NOT test for proper operation. Use care when exiting emergency window, as broken glass may be present in the exit area."
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Check the windows every year and lube the seal when you change your smoke alarm batteries.

NOT just any grease...sparkplug boot release silicone from NAPA, made for rubber and will not eat the seal. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

If there's a fire, my wife gets thrown out first closely followed by yours truly....

Sounds like a win-win situation.
Your DW gets out quickly, then your fall is cushioned.
Does she know your plans? :B

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had to use mine either but you can bet money that I know how to use it. not knowing is like having a seat belt cutter and storing it in the trunk of the car.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:
In 5 year I have never opened my Fire escape window.

were camping in 2 weeks. its on my to do list.

Thanks Rockhillmanor. your post might save a life

Just be sure when you open the escape window to test it, that someone is outside to catch the window. Many of them fall away from the coach and would hit the ground and break. Don't think they are cheap. But do open the window to break the seal. I had a salesman try to show me how and he couldn' open the window because of the seal
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV