cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MIchelin Tire Recall Replacement Question

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
When you had the tires replaced under the recall did the tire shop charge you for anything ? IE mount balance etc ?
21 REPLIES 21

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
The Feds allow this because otherwise people would have to stand in a hot mold to change the serial plate.

Pretty much what I thought. The rest of the DOT stuff is part of the main mold, along with the tread and all the other info and graphics. Then somebody/some 'bot adds the date.

That mold may have been built in the Holy Land! I visited a Kibbutz in northern Israel and asked what they did up there, Agriculture, Right? They said - Oh, we make Tire Molds here. Michelin was one of he names.

One or both of the codes on the duals, might be on the side(s) facing each other...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
OFDPOS wrote:
....For some reason they only put the DOT date on one side of the tire. ......

The Feds allow this because otherwise people would have to stand in a hot mold to change the serial plate. Somewhat dangerous.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Danford50 wrote:
I just look on my motorhome which has Michelin tires Lt2257516 load range e looking at the dot line my rear tire show the dot number but no production date or were else do I look for the production date at on the tires

For some reason they only put the DOT date on one side of the tire.
Like another posted may have to crawl underneath and see if you can read the date code on the other side of the tire.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danford50 wrote:
I just look on my motorhome which has Michelin tires Lt2257516 load range e looking at the dot line my rear tire show the dot number but no production date or were else do I look for the production date at on the tires

On the other side.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Update;
Talked with Michelin Customer Service rep and was advised it is a recall and the customer should not pay anything out of pocket.
I mentioned was charged for mount & balance, $96.00 ,Ca state required Environmental fee @ $1.75 a tire = $10.50 and $141.60 for 6 Certs.
She said the only thing the customer should have paid for was the 6 certs. IF the customer wants the extra road hazard warranty, that was on the customer...
Michelin reimburses the tire shop for the mount/balance etc.

I feel the tire shop took advantage of the customer.

More later...

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
tatest wrote:

The link goes to a recall notice for P-metric tires in 18, 19 and 20 inch sizes, rather than the heavier tire models used for RVs. Has there been a recall of the 16" Load Range E sizes used on RV cab-chassis and 3/4 ton and 1 ton E-series and Express vans?

Yes Here is the one for 16s

Thanks. Mine are all a different batch, a year newer. Still need to be replaced on tread wear before I start dealing with winter driving conditions again.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had all 7 replaced at Discount Tires 2 years ago. $0 cost to me. Best RV deal I ever got as I bought the RV the day before knowing that the tires were recalled.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Paid $0 two years ago for the six and the spare mounted and balanced. All fees and taxes were paid by Michelin directly to the tire center. Had a stem on the inside go bad about a month ago and they replaced that for $0 also because the tires and stems were replaced there.

Sounds to me like your previous owner got taken.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have a follow up post hopefully by next Friday the 21st.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
tatest wrote:

The link goes to a recall notice for P-metric tires in 18, 19 and 20 inch sizes, rather than the heavier tire models used for RVs. Has there been a recall of the 16" Load Range E sizes used on RV cab-chassis and 3/4 ton and 1 ton E-series and Express vans?

Yes Here is the one for 16s
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:
Droptop351 wrote:
I wasnt aware of any recalls on the michelins do you have any other information on which ones are affected?

Only certain sizes and serial numbers are affected. Look at this to find out if you have a claim.
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/safety-recalls/latitude-tour.html

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
I got six with no cost at all. One of the replacements developed a bubble and was replaced a few weeks ago. I got a prorate from the date of the tire replacement, not the original date.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky Easier to get to :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C