cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might buy new so you don't have to.

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying my first RV. Class A. Lower 30s gas unit. I think I am going to wait till mid Feb, so I don't have to worry about******freezing, figuratively and literally in Lower Alabama. Plus it will give me time to talk myself out of it. Basically, why would a unit be 40k cheaper 5 hours away? I am sure both stores could tell me why their's is best, but I want to have an opinion when I get there.

List 5 things you couldn't do without on your home away from home.
23 REPLIES 23

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had new & used RVs since 1969. The most problems came on new ones. I will never buy new again. I have also had 54 cars since I started buying cars in 1958. The new ones were the biggest problems for having to go back to get something fixed. New or used plan on a couple of trips for shakedown to see what needs something before your long trip.

Some of the differences from entry level to moving up are insulation that affects both heat and sound, AC being ducted or not makes a huge difference in noise when running, quality of interior finishing also shows up with higher price used coaches. True they all use the same chassis but fit & finish is done by the body builder.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a 15K warranty????????? does anybody actually pay that?
bumpy

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
One could have additional options on it, like hydraulic jacks - 2 a/c instead of 1, washer & dryer, or just plumbed for one. Many things...

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
In no particular order.

1. After market hydraulic jacks. Coach came without.
2. Double front slides to increase the living area. Spend 95% of awake time up front and having a larger area makes the coach a bit more comfortable.
3. Satellite TV for those days that the weather didn't get the memo concerning my travel plans.
4. Second AC the former owner installed. Really helps on those 90 degree midsummer days.
5. Extend-a-stay propane adaptor to allow a propane grill rather than charcoal. Still carry some for Dutch oven cooking but not nearly as much.

For the OP, good luck with your shopping adventure. Take your time and I would expend your search circle to something like a day drive from home base.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
travellandmark wrote:
timmac wrote:

I know your thinking new but there is lots of 2 to 4 year old slightly used motorhomes that will save you thousands compared to new.

I just get scared since within 2 months of owning it I am taking across country with my wife and kids. 40 days for my 40th birthday. I don't want any problems on that trip. I don't want to buy an RV and then put on a new set of tires or fix someone else's problem. When I look at a couple year old models the price just isn't that far off from new. A 15k warranty with a never been slept in smell is kinda what I am thinking. I change my mind every third day though as I read through here and see other deals out there.

I bought a 19 year old coach and drove it on a 6K+ trip and had no problems. I towed a vehicle behind it just in case I did run into issues. Don't be scared. Find one that fits your needs and jump in with both feet. The water's just fine.

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
travellandmark wrote:
timmac wrote:

I know your thinking new but there is lots of 2 to 4 year old slightly used motorhomes that will save you thousands compared to new.

I just get scared since within 2 months of owning it I am taking across country with my wife and kids. 40 days for my 40th birthday. I don't want any problems on that trip. I don't want to buy an RV and then put on a new set of tires or fix someone else's problem. When I look at a couple year old models the price just isn't that far off from new. A 15k warranty with a never been slept in smell is kinda what I am thinking. I change my mind every third day though as I read through here and see other deals out there.

No guarantees that you will not have issues with a new RV on your 1st trip.
Next, no guarantees that future issues will be fixed by your potential "15k" warranty.
Depending on your level of RV experience, You may want to take at least a couple of short 2-3 day trips to get familiar and/or work out bugs with rig.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
In no particular order
Full body paint
Side radiator
No curb side slide/ bedroom ok
Fiberglass roof
Toilet in its own room
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ccxnola wrote:

Now..my five desirable things not found in many motorhomes:
1 - Ice Maker in the freezer (It's a bad day when I do not have ice for my evening Scotch!!)
2 - A usable Spare Tire - NEVER leave home without one!!
3 - Automatic Levelers (My first RV the levelers were 2x12 boards nailed in steps - followed by DIY levelers (the little bubbles never seemed to get level) and now - press the button, wait awhile and all is fine!!)
4 - SAT TV - when you are away from the major cities, it's nice to know what is going on in the world - even if it does not matter very much;
5 - An easy to erect FLAGPOLE to fly the Stars & Stripes without all of the effort to get it out of the storage, section it together, raise it and secure it to the rig and raise the flag - plus put out and hookup the directional spot-lights for the nighttime.

well I certainly agree with all except for the flagpole. I've gotten by all these years with them only at the S&Bs.
bumpy

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
x2 tinmac
New or used you want to do shake down runs before your big trip. Yes, statistically new would seem to be much safer bet. Could you rent one for your trip?

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you buy new, or used, a couple shake down runs close to home are a MUST DO! Speaking with 25 years of rv'ing experience, never take a new to you rig and just hit the road.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
travellandmark wrote:
Looking at buying my first RV. Class A. Lower 30s gas unit. I think I am going to wait till mid Feb, so I don't have to worry about******freezing, figuratively and literally in Lower Alabama. Plus it will give me time to talk myself out of it. Basically, why would a unit be 40k cheaper 5 hours away? I am sure both stores could tell me why their's is best, but I want to have an opinion when I get there.

As others have offered: SERIOUSLY consider a low mileage used unit of a better caliber for about the same money!! A NEW rig will be one-third (READ IT AGAIN) one-third less valuable after you drive it away from the dealer. (OK, I may be a bit high on that, but not far off!!) Have a look at a good low-miles Diesel-pusher for the same $$ as you plan to spend and I am confident you will be MUCH happier in the long run!!
My five things in my home away from home (that I MUST HAVE):
Flush Toilet - Comfortable Bed - Heat & Air Conditioning - TV with DVD & CD and MOST IMPORTANT - a place the Lovely Lady in my life also enjoys!!
Now..my five desirable things not found in many motorhomes:
1 - Ice Maker in the freezer (It's a bad day when I do not have ice for my evening Scotch!!)
2 - A usable Spare Tire - NEVER leave home without one!!
3 - Automatic Levelers (My first RV the levelers were 2x12 boards nailed in steps - followed by DIY levelers (the little bubbles never seemed to get level) and now - press the button, wait awhile and all is fine!!)
4 - SAT TV - when you are away from the major cities, it's nice to know what is going on in the world - even if it does not matter very much;
5 - An easy to erect FLAGPOLE to fly the Stars & Stripes without all of the effort to get it out of the storage, section it together, raise it and secure it to the rig and raise the flag - plus put out and hookup the directional spot-lights for the nighttime.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
I never hear anyone talking about energy usage and converters/inverters as being a deal killer. Power must not be an issue when using the battery bank or generators. I have no idea about power/supply/generation/ or such. I am very handsy but do not like dealing with electrical stuff and want that done for me. After working on a 175 work boat I love the humm of a enerator with a 24 count battery pack, but am clueless with what it all means.

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:
One thing that I thoroughly like are automatic levelers. I did not have levelers on my class C; not sure I would buy without levelers.

Ray

Definitely want levelers. but there is so much discussion on here about them that would almost be my first question on any purchase.

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Full body paint, black tank flush, recliner, engine brake, day and night windshield shades.

I like the black tank flush and engine brake. Things I never would have thought of.