Did you mean: 

MONACO PUSHER 40' RADIATOR OVERHEATING

moondoggie2
Explorer
Explorer
OVERHEATING ISSUES WITH MY MOTOR HOME
IT IS A MONACO POWERED BY A CUMMINS IT IS A SIDE RADIATOR MODEL
REPAIRS MADE TO IT SO FAR ARE AS FOLLOWS:
RADIATOR HAS BEEN FLUSHED AND DIRT BLOWN OUT FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH COMPRESSED AIR RELIVING THE OUTSIDE DIRT.
THERMOSTATS IN THE MOTOR HAVE BEEN REPLACED
WATER PUMP PRESSURE CHECK DONE.
HYDRAULIC LINES THAT COME FROM THE HYDRAULIC PUMP AND ATTACH TO THE HYDRAULIC RADIATOR FAN DRIVE HAVE HAD THE LIMITER VALVE REMOVED AND THE FAN RUNS AT A FAIRLY HIGH SPEED.
THERE IS A 50/50 MIX OF ANTIFREEZE.
THE RADIATOR FAN BLADES HAVE A ADJUSTMENT ON THE FAN AND YOU CAN ADJUST THE BLADE PITCH ALLOWING MORE "PULL" BUT THIS OPTION HAS NOT BEEN PREFORMED.
THIS HAS BEEN VERY FRUSTRATING AND I WOULD LIKE ANY ONES ADVISE
THANKS
31 REPLIES 31

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Side radiators are like any other mechanical part, they can break. So instead of getting defensive on side radiators why don't some of you come up with an answer as to why this engine is overheating. We all know that the reason why some rear radiators were over heating. Now this person wants to know why his engine is over heating and he describes his coach as to having a side radiator. Who cares if it is a 1998 or a 2014. The problem is still there and all he is asking for idea's as to what it could be. GEEZ!

By the way side radiators are right behind the rear wheels and they do suck up a lot of dirt and grim that is kicked back by the wheels. This radiators are also hydraulic and could have a problem there. They are not perfect, they can give problems just like any other thing that is mechanical.

Well Ray, I see the OP stated what year his is. And, it does make a difference on what year it is. If it was a new 2014, we know it's not old hoses. Things have become more computerized from older units.

The more details a poster can give the better answers they will get.

Safe Travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
06 330 ISC Cummins still have the slobber tube as I directed mine into a container.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
moondoggie2 wrote:
OVERHEATING ISSUES WITH MY MOTOR HOME
IT IS A MONACO POWERED BY A CUMMINS IT IS A SIDE RADIATOR MODEL
REPAIRS MADE TO IT SO FAR ARE AS FOLLOWS:
RADIATOR HAS BEEN FLUSHED AND DIRT BLOWN OUT FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH COMPRESSED AIR RELIVING THE OUTSIDE DIRT.
THERMOSTATS IN THE MOTOR HAVE BEEN REPLACED
WATER PUMP PRESSURE CHECK DONE.
HYDRAULIC LINES THAT COME FROM THE HYDRAULIC PUMP AND ATTACH TO THE HYDRAULIC RADIATOR FAN DRIVE HAVE HAD THE LIMITER VALVE REMOVED AND THE FAN RUNS AT A FAIRLY HIGH SPEED.
THERE IS A 50/50 MIX OF ANTIFREEZE.
THE RADIATOR FAN BLADES HAVE A ADJUSTMENT ON THE FAN AND YOU CAN ADJUST THE BLADE PITCH ALLOWING MORE "PULL" BUT THIS OPTION HAS NOT BEEN PREFORMED.
THIS HAS BEEN VERY FRUSTRATING AND I WOULD LIKE ANY ONES ADVISE
THANKS

You very likely have the same set up I do. Under what conditions does it overheat? Flat terrain at 70F? Pulling hill at 11000ft at 90F? What gear are you in when you overheat? What RPM do you operate the motor at? Are you towing?
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slobber tubes: Cummins told me that starting in 04 the slobber tube was guaranteed to not leak oil as it trapped the oil and returned it to the engine. The design change was obvious including the oil return line. This was a EPA requirement. Just information.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
The part about the limiter valve being removed doesn't sound right. This controls flow between the radiator fan and the power steering.

A few years ago I had a problem with overheating and increased steering effort. Spartan tech service had be check the function of the limiter valve but it turned out to be a bad hydraulic pump so I never got to the point of inspecting and cleaning the valve. Something else to consider.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
GoldenHVAC: Where is a side mounted radiator going to get all this grime from that will be washed out? The slobber tube is nowhere near it.

All the dirt, hay and grass is thrown up from the rear wheels as the radiator is behind them it gets sucked in.

If you do not believe it wash out your radiator. When I do mine 2 times a year all kinds of stuff comes out. Just did mine and spent 1-1/2 hours to get the water clear running out.

I have seen many posts on the internet about side radiators running hot when climbing.

Pogoil.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobR wrote:
Another potential cause can be a radiator hose collapsing and restricting the flow of coolant.
Another good thought with a 17 year old rig.

Do you know the history of any cooling maintenance?

BTW Some of the cooling system changes you described like increasing the hydraulic fan speed sound like someone is trying to mask the problem because they don't know what else to do.

Monaco tested their rigs in the Los Vegas area. They towed a dolly and could simulate any grade in the heat for any distance on flat roads. They had multiple instrumentation to measure the engine. My 2 Monacos never exceeded 204F on grade in 115F air with cab AC running. Just some information.

Bob

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Another potential cause can be a radiator hose collapsing and restricting the flow of coolant.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you taken the MH to a good repair shop that understands diesels and RV's?

Friends tell me that Massey's in Phoenix is excellent. I have no personal experience with them.

Click

Bob

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor just had overheating issues with his 2004 Dynasty, Cummins, side radiator. Bad thermostat, bad fan control board, radiators needed a professional steam cleaning.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

moondoggie2
Explorer
Explorer
I am adding the engine information, is a 8.3 Cummins
the year on the coach is a 1997
thanks again Jim

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
From personal experience and expense I can say that rotting of the radiator core from road chemicals used in snow removal is a known problem with side mounted radiators.

The problem is enhanced since the radiator is the last unit in the stack and rarely gets flushed well after coach use in those conditions. While many of us may make an attempt to clean the cooling stack we can't do a very effective job due to the way they are assembled and installed. The mounting hardware and shrouding make a thorough cleaning a hit and miss affair at best.

My comments don't directly address the OP's problem, but may be useful to someone who is encountering cooling issues.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
Deano56 wrote:
as a new member I would not worry about posting in CAPITALS, I sure wouldn't take that as shouting, maybe frantic, so dont run away because there are many decent people here that have helped me. Is your temp gauge going into the red or where exactly is your temp?

I AM SO HAPPY EVERYONE APPROVES OF CAPITALS I WILL START ALL MY POST WITH THEM

Never mind - it isn't worth it :R

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
moondoggie2 wrote:

IF it's a dirt problem this likely didn't help. Keep in mind that you have 2 or maybe 3 layers of the 5 radiators. It's not easy to get the between radiator sections cleaned.

The air is drawn in so blowing from the inside out could be more useful if using air helps at all. Much better to use repeated applications of simple green as suggested above.

The radiator could have internal blockage and would need to be removed and repaired/replaced.

Bob