cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More things equal more problems

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winnebago Vista 35F that has a second bathroom. The black tank for this is opposite from the main black tank so it uses a macerator to pump it over to the main drain side. Went to dump so I am at the main drain and DW is stationed at the valve by the macerator.I tell her to pull the valve and I am on the other side starting the pump. She says it is leaking a little bit. I figure no big deal as it will only take 30 seconds to empty. Went over to her side to find about 3 gallons of the nasty water sitting in the storage compartment. Sopped it up the best we could. Got home and used the shop vac and bleach water to clean but it has that felt carpet in the bootom of the compartment that still smells. Any ideas on how to clean it up better and remove the smell? How easy is it to pull up the carpet? Can't see exactly where it was leaking but it is just the valve connected to a reducer that goes to the pump.Looks to be a rubber boot with clamps that may be the problem. Will investigate further this weekend but warranty visit to Forest City had already been scheduled for other isssues. Add one more to the list!!!
13 REPLIES 13

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Rather than cleaning the carpet, maybe it should be removed? It doesn't sound like a good place to have carpet installed.

Bill
x2. I wouldn't put carpet back into that location.

I just commented on another thread about using a sanicon vs and slinky. I believe the KISS rule applies here.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that the best thing to get rid or odors in Oxyclean. Mix with very hot water and sponge it on. Then you can blot up the extra and let it dry.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or, there is another called Nature's Miracle available at most shops like Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, and is available online if you wish to order that way. It really works very well.

ncfd410
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F the first time I tried to dump using the macerator. Fortunately it happened in a Camping World RV parking lot. Fixed, but the said the black pvc pipe was not put together correctly, and the pump was too close to the valve. Have not had any problems since. Shop vac to pick up mess, after hosing out. Febreeze, charcoal to absorb moisture.
Sounds like an installation problem.
Ed and Muriel
2013 Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 35 F

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
My lowly Georgetown has totally separate holding tanks and valves/sewer connections for the two bathrooms. Winnie cheaped out on that one. Ooops, a macerator ain't cheap. What was that design guy thinking?
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

jtrent6415
Explorer
Explorer
erstanfo wrote:
get an enzyme cleaner used to clean up pet stains. It will dissolve any of the organic matter.

We use Petzyme and it breaks it down and gets rid of the smell.
2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
baking soda is another great odor neutralizer....dump it in the area dry and brush it in and let it sit
Janet N Texas

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
get an enzyme cleaner used to clean up pet stains. It will dissolve any of the organic matter.
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple green will get rid of the smell and most other growing things. Rinse well. Your are talking about the thin felt. Not full carpet.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought we all learned in the 70's that carpet of any kind in the bathroom - or in this case a wet bay- was a bad idea.
2013 ACE 29.2

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a deoderizer like Fabreze will get rid of the smell.
With having done a good job of cleaning along with bleach, you may have missed a hidden area where there is still some nasty water look for holes or cracks where it may have flowed.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rather than cleaning the carpet, maybe it should be removed? It doesn't sound like a good place to have carpet installed.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. More things can sometimes be more problems. With 5 children, my wife and myself, we learn to "wait and share" for the 1 bathroom.

For the carpet, you need to seriously clean it. Professional carpet cleaners can help you with this.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.