cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor home insurance

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Who is your RV insurance carrier. I have been with Good Sam since 2001 and this year my premiums jumped from 788.00 to 938.00for 6 months. I called God Sam and they quoted $636.75 per yr. with Progressive and $498.82 with Allied per year. Sounds fishy to me.:)

Does anyone have State Farm on their RV?
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
26 REPLIES 26

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
You can't compare premium rates unless you are getting the same coverage. The premium for a 5th wheel trailer worth $40,000 or $50,000 won't be the same as coverage for a Class A diesel pusher worth $250,000 to $350,000. Also what are the coverage limits? 50,000, $100,000, $250,000? What is the deductible? $100, $250, $500, $1,000. All of these variables make a huge difference.

As far as insurance companies are concerned State Farm writes the most policies of all of them. This includes, auto, home, rv, boat etc. Foremost is a division of Farmers and is good on recreational vehicles as is Progressive. USAA, Gieco are also good. Safeco, Allied (a division of Nationwide) are good too. AARP is broker for Hartford, they are not bad either. The question is not just the premium but will they pay a claim? All of the above are reputable companies. All will offer multiple policy discounts if you have your auto, rv , and home insured with them.

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
$817/Yr (before annual dividend) with AMICA Mutual Insurance Co.
Full, replacement coverage w/$500 deductible & an agreed value of $45K.
Great company to work with - have insured everything with them for 40+ years.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

bronccat
Explorer
Explorer
New Mexico Roadrunner wrote:
Have you looked at AARP?

Don't think I'm old enough

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
Who is your RV insurance carrier. I have been with Good Sam since 2001 and this year my premiums jumped from 788.00 to 938.00for 6 months. I called God Sam and they quoted $636.75 per yr. with Progressive and $498.82 with Allied per year. Sounds fishy to me.:)
Does anyone have State Farm on their RV?

I'm going to try Allied when mine comes due. Son-in-law has a high end DP real fancy, He got allied and it is about 300 dollars cheaper that what I pay with Farmers and our coach is 9 years old.

New_Mexico_Road
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at AARP?

bronccat
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Monaco Knight 38PDQ (purchase price $71,500). Our annual quote was as follows:

$442 for the 6 month policy. $1,000 deductibles for comp and collision. It will include $40/day for car rental and $200 towing

We have good credit, clean driving history, multi-car / home discounts.

This just seems high to me.... thoughts?

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Fiesta wrote:
Full coverage, or just liability? Probably 4X as much. Deductibles change everything too. Vehicle value on full coverage makes a BIG difference. Had liability only on 05 MH, $400. '15 DP with full coverage, $2500 ded. $1850 premium.
Use the same numbers then compare.

Yeah, I forgot that, my deductible was $1000 for the policy above.

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
Full coverage, or just liability? Probably 4X as much. Deductibles change everything too. Vehicle value on full coverage makes a BIG difference. Had liability only on 05 MH, $400. '15 DP with full coverage, $2500 ded. $1850 premium.
Use the same numbers then compare.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Gieco has been very, very good to me. Excellent service and follow up, including road service.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
ugh wrote:
willi4nd wrote:
We pay about $4.00 per month, around $50/year. But our TT is a 2015 Trailrunner...its not a biggun

Edit...just saw this was in the Class A forum, my apologies

Who is your insurance?

Kentucky Farm Bureau

We had Allstate for the longest time, the wife shopped insurance companies last year and KFB came back with the same coverage for a much lower cost.
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive tried to weasel out of paying for my windshield by saying I didn,t have "glass coverage". I messaged them a pic of my policy where it said all glass was covered with no deductible and they paid......What I have noticed with them is coverage has a way of disappearing without telling me or changing the cost. Its just not there anymore.

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
I got quoted $1100 a year from Safeco for a 2006 DP coach we would pay a little less than $100,000 for. That included 100/300/100 liability, collision, uninsured, underinsured, roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
willi4nd wrote:
We pay about $4.00 per month, around $50/year. But our TT is a 2015 Trailrunner...its not a biggun

Edit...just saw this was in the Class A forum, my apologies

Who is your insurance?
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
Don't skimp on coverage when you do get it. You may need to file a claim and end up in severe shortage.
X-2, insurance is to protect you! We havie Geico Insurance. Sure treated us right when my coach was hit by a runaway truck and the driver had no insurance. They called us everyday fixed everything right and didn't raise out rates! Great customer service and service overall!