cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome EZ-Pass and towing a trailer

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a question for anyone with a NY Motorhome EZ-Pass that also pulls a trailer.

I just ordered an EZ-Pass for my new Class C by phone.
After spending many minutes on the phone with NY EZ-Pass and explaining that I have a motorhome with two axles and a small trailer I sometimes pull, they have told me I just use the EZ-Pass they are sending for the motor home whether I'm pulling the trailer or not.

That confuses me as I also pull the trailer sometimes with my SUV and I have to use a different EZ-Pass they sent me for for towing it with the SUV.

They could not tell me why I need a second pass for the trailer when I was towing with the SUV and won't need a second pass when towing with the RV. They kept telling me that when towing the trailer with the SUV it adds a third axle. Well it does the same thing when towing with the RV.

Anyone out there with a NY EZ-Pass that tows also? Do you have a different pass to use when towing?

I'm totally confused and pretty sure they did not get it right.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York
12 REPLIES 12

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Received the new EZ-Passes. They sent a white one for the RV Marked "RV 2-Axles over 7000 pounds" and a blue one labeled "RV 3 Axles over 7000 pounds" for pulling a trailer. This spring I'll jump on the thruway for a one exit trip and make sure I'm being charged the passenger car rate. Easy to do from my location.

They also sent a third unmarked white one in a separate package which they were suppose to cancel. Thats going back to them.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

mda
Explorer
Explorer
The EZ Pass for your MH is a special pass to charge your MH at a car toll rate. There are plates that you travel over, or photos that are taken as you go thru the lanes. Some states charge more for a MH than a car. Your truck is viewed as a car in all states so you have a regular EZ Pass for that vehicle. As far as the trailer goes, it doesn't matter which vehicle you tow it with, the toll will be charged accordingly and it would be the same for either vehicle.

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to the MH, I never had an issue with EZ Pass towing my HTT while using EZ Pass lanes. I have never been able to understand the NY State of mind (thank you Billy Joel!) when my NY friends always talk about having that additional transponder for a trailer. When I zip through NY it has never been an issue. One EZ Pass for me and the toad. It does get pricey for sure. Ah, the cost of having a good time!
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in NJ, we had EZ-Pass. When we bought our Pop-up and then our HTT, we didn't inform EZ-Pass that we had a trailer and were always charged accordingly in NJ, PA, DE and MD. Never went into NY with the trailer.

The first time I went through EZ-Pass with the trailer, I noticed the signs on the Garden State Parkway said for EZ-Pass holders towing please use cash toll booths, so I did. The attendant told me I had EZ-Pass and waved me through. After that, I just went through the EZ-Pass lanes. Never had a problem and never received a ticket.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the technology used, but anywhere that takes the Illinois I-Pass calculates the correct tolls. When I am bob tail they hit me for two axles, with the fiver it gets all four axles.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
We pull with one EZ Pass too here in NJ... on the GSP I use the express EZ Pass only lanes and have never had a issue. The trailer is not there sometimes on the bill... We have run the length of the toll road from where we live on the northern most end all the way down to Exit 0 - Cape May and the trailer is with us about 75% of the time as far as the tolls are concerned. I know MA and NY both issue multiple tags for those towing but we have never had a problem.
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Called them again. Second person did not really know either. After reading her the information on the form she talked to a supervisor and I have a second EZ Pass on the way for when I'm pulling a trailer.

They decided that I could use the blue trailer pass I have for the SUV when towing with the motorhome but I told them that I would rather have a separate one for the RV since we have two trailers we might use at the same time and passing one tag between vehicles might be a pain.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have I-PASS in Illinois. Towing or not, I put one of our three I-PASS transponders on the dashboard of the motor home and travel without concern. If there is a problem, the tollway authority simply bills my transponder the proper amount without penalty.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I just pull the trailer. I use the same tag. Let them figure it out. Haven't gotten any nastygrams yet....
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what I thought. Could not get it through their heads.
I'll wait for the tag they are sending and then order the trailer tag using the form from Old-Biscuit's link. Thanks.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
The person you talked too was confused also. When I towed on a Denver, Colorado expressway, I was told it would cost a certain amount. They use camaras and then bill you when you use the expressway. It ended up costing more than I was told because I was towing a car. That person was confused also.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
TA-W68176 (02/2011)
E-ZPass Tag Order Form
Motorhome/Passenger Vehicle Towing Combinations
New York State Thruway Authority.............LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31