cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motorized awnings

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
in case anyone is interested, i just had my 19 ft motorized dometic awning completely removed and replaced with a new unit. took 2 months of back order on the awning itself. everything was replaced. total cost was just under $3k installed. i have a 31 ft sunseeker motorhome.
14 REPLIES 14

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
That's a little steep price for motorized awning replacement imo.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a power awning. Wish it was a basic manual one like I had on my 1995 Gulfstream Class C. My particular electric one is somewhat basic, with manually adjustable arms, and will not roll itself up when it gets windy.

There is also an interlock that I found out about the hard way a couple of years ago, where it turns out the switch for it will not operate if the chassis engine is on. It was a putrid hot day in south central Virginia dry camping, and had started the engine to run the dash A/C while I finished up with packing a few last things. It would not roll up. Ended up taking it apart and manually rolling it up with some help, which required taking the motorized end off the arm, then reattaching the arm and holding it all to the side sort of where it was supposed to be via bungies and light duty tie-down straps (always carry at least 4 for surprises like this!). Troubleshooting it a couple of weeks later, I figured out the issue was operator error. Of course, no documentation from Forest River or Dometic that the lockout of the switch was a thing.

While it's a novelty to open and close it from that rocker switch by the door, IMHO its an unnecessary complication on a 24' Class C.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
๐Ÿ™‚ This kind of rv quality makes us thankful for shady trees.

Someone here once took a sawsall to his broken awning during a camping trip. :B
I have had a few malfunctions on the manual C of C models. The scissor models that pull straight out like a shade , have even more problems.

I always carry tarps and an e z up awning. And my go to tool , a SAWSALL.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Solera awnings
I have to unscrew a holding screw then use a cordless drill or ratchet to roll it back in. I would need to stand on a picnic table or carry a folding ladder to reach the deployed awning motor for access.

Solara = Lippert = Overpriced Garbage. Even more so than Dometic or C of C, and thats saying something.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solera awnings
I have to unscrew a holding screw then use a cordless drill or ratchet to roll it back in. I would need to stand on a picnic table or carry a folding ladder to reach the deployed awning motor for access.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
whemme wrote:
I donโ€™t understand the desire to have a motorized awning. What do you do when those awnings refuse to retract on demand from there unfurled position?

You break out the pull strap and slide it into the groove of the tube, then retract the awning almost the same way as you would a manual one. It is still spring loaded just like a manual. the push to deploy is given by the gas assist lift shocks on the arms and all the motor does is provide enough additional force to overcome the spring force which retracts it.

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t understand the desire to have a motorized awning. What do you do when those awnings refuse to retract on demand from their unfurled position?
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2007 rig was equipped with a manual box awning.

The good things about it are....
- very reliable
- non-intrusive (no vertical sides mounted to the rig)
- a one person operation

The good things about a motorized awning
- opens and closes in a jiffy
- push-button opening and closing
- auto closes during a storm

The only thing I don't like about the motorized awning are the vertical side rails.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ouch......$3000!! Replaced my fabric awning about 2 years ago due to age/wear and spent maybe $300. Rarely ever use mine, so, I guess if you're doing it quite often, it could be a helper ๐Ÿ™‚

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I planned to do when I bought my first (used) RV was replace the manual awning with an electric. My previous roll-up awning experience was with the old style where you had to get a person on each side to roll it up and down simultaneously, and sliding the slides up or down took some real muscle.

But then I started to use this one (with the rollup strap that lets a single person set it up), and now I don't want the complexity of an electric one - it only takes a few minutes to set up or take down the awning.

Though I haven't had the strap slip out of my hand while rolling it up yet - if that happens I may change my opinion ... ๐Ÿ™‚

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jk31668 wrote:
it was the original and 10 years old. got caught in a rain squall with high wind and pulled the rear end right out of the wall and ripped the canvas. i have progressive ins. and they paid 100% for a new one.

Good deal.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
it was the original and 10 years old. got caught in a rain squall with high wind and pulled the rear end right out of the wall and ripped the canvas. i have progressive ins. and they paid 100% for a new one.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jk31668 wrote:
in case anyone is interested, i just had my 19 ft motorized dometic awning completely removed and replaced with a new unit. took 2 months of back order on the awning itself. everything was replaced. total cost was just under $3k installed. i have a 31 ft sunseeker motorhome.

what happened to the old one?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish mine was manual.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad