cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mountains on I40 from New Mexico to Las Vegas

boss302
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be traveling from Albuquerque New Mexico to Las Vegas on I40 with a gas 36 ft. Pace Arrow. Should we be concerned about any mountains or this interstate highway. Is there anything that is different from any other interstate. Are we going to be running into a lot of really high elevations. Thanks for any info that you can give us.
17 REPLIES 17

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
they are paving areas of i40 west of flagstaff now, both sides. there are areas of traffic backups, but nothing difficult.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Driven that route many times. You should have no problems. You will have a few hills, but it should be no problem for your motorhome. Take the cut off at Kingman to go to Las Vegas, Nev.

X2

US 93 is in excellent condition and most of it is now a divided highway.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Easy travel area. We go that route in early January and late March every year. We will avoid the route if there is snow in the forecast!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Driven that route many times. You should have no problems. You will have a few hills, but it should be no problem for your motorhome. Take the cut off at Kingman to go to Las Vegas, Nev.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I 40 is fine, there is a hill going into ABQ but it's just a long downhill. Flagstaff to Williams is the biggest hill though around Clines Corners NM is a pretty good one but you can run them all at the speed limit which is 75 MPH except through ABQ and be careful there.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven that section in a 30' class A with 460 and we have driven it in our 36' class A with V10 no problem with either. Worse case you won't go up at posted max speed, but you won't be able to get out and walk faster either! Enjoy the trip.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

gperky
Explorer
Explorer
No mountains, but plenty of pot-holes last year.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman wrote:
Also, if you take I25 north you can be in Las Vegas in a couple of hours.

David

Good one.

boss302
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going from Albuquerque NM to Las Vegas Nevada. I think that there might have been come confusion because I see now that there is also a Las Vegas New Mexico. In case any of your answers would change about the mountains. Again thanks for all the informative answers.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
"really high elevations" No
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
No issues this time of year and stay in Black Barts in Flagstaff.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if you take I25 north you can be in Las Vegas in a couple of hours.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on WHEN you're coming or going....I-40 can get heavy winds, rain and SNOW. Right now you won't have any issues...come December it's a******shoot, Jan-March you'll probably get snow....west coasters don't call them mountains, only hills....you won't have any issues with the grades. Enjoy the trip....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned over I40 this past week. Really will be easy trip. No high passes or difficult climbs. There's a Pilot in Belmont with RV lanes and some of the cheaper fuel (gas) in area. And stop at the Flying-J in Kingman before heading on in to Vegas, again really cheap gas.