cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My DW says I'm anal/OCD.....am I?

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Been getting the rig ready for a big trip. I've taken care of all maintenance and fixed everything that wasn't right. Lubed the chassis, wire brushed rust and painted it, fixed a cracked water fitting, replaced a drawer catch, serviced the air dryer, etc. However, since buying our Journey last fall, one thing has bugged me: The PO had been hit with some hail and the rear radiator looked like somebody had been throwing marbles at it. Lots of bent fins!

I know it is purely aesthetics, but it bugs me whenever I look at it! So yesterday I took the rear grill off, got a chair and started the painstaking process of straightening them out. About three hours work later, it looks great. DW looks at it and says, "whatever you want to spend your time doing....but I just don't see it." My neighbor even came over to see what I was doing and rolled his eyes and said basically the same thing.

Just wondering if anybody else has done this? In the end, it is a great feeling to know everything is in top shape....at least for the time being!

Hoping everybody has a great summer, and safe travels!

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
62 REPLIES 62

FreeIndeedJ836
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff,
You are right on brother! Whatever we do, do it as right as we can or go home... Your coach will serve you well with your eyes of perfection on it.
I'm not anti-social, I just have a strong aversion to B.S., drama, and pretending:)

Revconguy
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has accused me of breaking things on our MH just so I can repair/rebuild them. Especially if a I can make them BETTER than new. It's like a therapy to me....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
You are not alone. I check and make sure everything is ready for even the shortest family trip/s. From airing up the tires to putting the correct torque on the wheels. I even have our fiver washed before every trip so we look nice when arriving at the campground. Attention to detail is the key to keeping a unit nice. Preventative maintenance can save you a headache later too.

x2. I wish I could spend more time working on our RV to correct the 'little things' that need corrected.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
You are not alone. I check and make sure everything is ready for even the shortest family trip/s. From airing up the tires to putting the correct torque on the wheels. I even have our fiver washed before every trip so we look nice when arriving at the campground. Attention to detail is the key to keeping a unit nice. Preventative maintenance can save you a headache later too.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Are you OCD?

No, you are a person that wants things to be "right." His possessions in good,well maintained condition.

A perfectionist? Maybe, but it is a good thing.

Carry on.

Add me to the list.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Are you OCD?

No, you are a person that wants things to be "right." His possessions in good,well maintained condition.

A perfectionist? Maybe, but it is a good thing.

Carry on.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First, you can buy a special "Comb" at most auto parts stores made for that job, greatly speeds it up, different spacings let it work on radiators and air conditioners of differing makes and models.

Second, not OCD, Good practice, you see the bent fins obstruct air flow and reduce the efficiency of the radiator, So your straightening them thus improves air flow through the thing and thus improves engine cooling lessening the chance of an overheat... Thus it is REQUIRED you straighten them for best engine life.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
good for you... i am the same way and hear the same thing... keep doin what you are doin.. it works
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Escargot wrote:
DW looks at it and says, "whatever you want to spend your time doing....

This is the phrase from your DW's comment that she got exactly right.

A good and considerate wife would have helped. please convey my sediments to her.
bumpy

+2 :D:D:D

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Escargot wrote:

A good and considerate wife would have helped. please convey my sediments to her.
bumpy

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Now you and the radiator can breathe easier. If you aren't working on them you aren't using them.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that straightening out the fins would produce better cooling and also make it easier to wash out the fins at a later date as they tend to get dirty.

If you take care of the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves...ie pay attention to the small things and you'll be in good shape later.

Not anal at all.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I see from your profile "retired Air Force".

I'm glad there are guys like you, whatever your military job was, who took pride in doing it well, and doing it right, and paying attention to the details.

I thank you now for your service. I don't expect those attitudes to go away any time soon!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
LOL!....I've done the same with my A/C units and no EVER sees them 'cept ME! Takes one to know one.....but...I'd do it again...I call it therapy.....:W....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG