cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Motorhome Selections

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I've listed information below about the motorhomes I'm interested in and have listed them in no special order. They are all bath and a half and all have an MSRP within $10,000.00 of each other. With the exception of the Thor Miramar with a shorter WB but same quality level as the Challenger.

I know with automobiles the best ride comes from weight and wheelbase and would guess the same is true of motorhomes. The Forest River Georgetown XL and the two Newmar's have 26,000 chassis and the Newmar 3953 has a Wheel Base of 260.

Since they all have the same engine. Will the motorhomes with the bigger chassis suffer in power because of the added weight?

I'd also like to know if you have a preference on what side of the coach the bedroom slide is on and why?

I'd love to hear from you and especially those who currently have or has had one of theses coaches?

Thank you all

Forest River Georgetown XL 360DS - 37.6L - 242WB - 26,000 CH - 10 Gal HW - 5.5 Gen - $181M
Newmar Canyon Star 3710 - 38L - 242 WB - 26,000CH - 10 Gal HW - 10 Gen - $185M
Newmar Canyon Star 3953 - 40L - 260 WB - 26,000CH - 10 Gal HW - 5.5 Gen - $189M
Thor Challenger 37LX - 38.1L - 252WB - 22,000CH - 6 Gal HW - 7 Gen - $178M
Thor Miramar 34.1 - 35.10L - 242 WB - 22,000CH - 6 gal HW - 7 Gen - $156M
Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 37.6L - 252 WB - 24,000CH - 10 gal HW - 7 Gen - $171M
34 REPLIES 34

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would pay attention to which basement compartments are difficult to reach when the slide is out. On mine, the only difficult to use basement compartments were for items/uses not commonly necessary to use.
I haven't checked but I "assume" someone has cautioned you to see how usable the unit is with one or more slides in. I never put my living room slide out for just an overnight stop. the bedroom slide only blocked one drawer so we just used that drawer for occasionally used stuff.
bumpy

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Wow first time ever on this site that I have seen comments about slides on the patio side I guess I will have to get rid of my 30 ft slide on the passenger side - not over my dead body - hint the more slides on both sides the more room and better it will be
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I'll also make sure I don't buy a coach with the kitchen on the slide. That just seems like trouble!

I had a kitchen slide for about 14 years. absolutely no problem, wouldn't scare me a bit.
bumpy

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at a brand new 2004 Fleetwood Excursion motorhome at a FMCA rally in Pomona CA. Fleetwood had brought out all of the RV's from their factory for the RV show, along with technicians to show prospects how to drive a diesel motorhome. It was very informative to get training on how to use the air brakes from a factory designer!

Anyway I was looking through one of them early in the morning and a salesman asked if I was interested, but I was just looking. It was after a couple of hours, and the wife wanted to get more information, and take a test drive that I was told that the $167,000 MSRP would be discounted to only $118,000 for the 'Show only' price. The salesman who I had talked to earlier came up to me and offered the same RV at a lower price, because he wanted the sale.

It was a RV that they did not have to order, finance while it is on their lot, pay the shipping fees, or anything, in fact the RV would never reach their lot in Oxnard, but would be given to the customer right there and then, so all the difference between what I paid and what Fleetwood would charge the dealership would be pure profit for the dealership and salesman.

So don't expect to get a 30% discount, however do expect to be able to get a 20%+ discount. Don't let your emotions get in the way. They will make you feel guilty, and say "If you can only afford a $150,000 RV, let me show you some gas models over here". It is not that you are 'cheap' or anything, but why give up $10,000 to prove that you are wealthy enough to afford driving a $189,000 RV? Normally the dealership will discount a RV $10,000 without batting a eye, as they have plenty of profit built in, and will make "Something" by completing the sale, while making nothing if you buy the unit down the street instead.

I would agree with one of the posts above, that says Newmar and Tiffan are well above the others in terms of quality and longevity.

Think about how the RV will fit on your RV site. Will you bump your head on the bedroom slide if you are draining the tanks, or plugging in the power?

I think I would like all the slides on the drivers side, so that I will have maximum space on the passenger side, where my picnic table will be, along with the awning. However the dual slide living room is really nice, and a slide that is only 18" deep will not really interfere that much with your space on either side.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
I would lean toward the Newmar based upon the general history of this list over the past decade. I thought during their factory tour in 2004 that they had good quality control. There will be fixes on any new coach during the first six months.

My sweetheart also wanted (expected) a new coach in 2005. It is always best if the "Director of Decor" is happy. She also sat one time in our floorplan (PAQ) and said this the ONLY coach for us. Enough said.

We have a bedroom with the head of the bed on the driver side. I do not sleep well if the bed is tilted down toward the top, so this is the best solution. While RV sites in most motorhome parks are fine, we have been in many locations when it was difficult to raise the passenger side fully to level.

With the head of the bed slightly higher, that is fine. A bed on the other side would be a major problem for us on some of our sites. We were at the Rose Parade with our grandchildren and parked on a street with the passenger side of the coach considerably lower. With the bed on the driver side, it was fine.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
One comment that overlooked from 2gypsies when he said, "The fewer slides you have on the patio side is better for use of your patio"! That's another one of those things I'd of not thought of but how true it is. I'll also make sure I don't buy a coach with the kitchen on the slide. That just seems like trouble!

The slides are not that invasive. The slides sit rather high and you can sit under the slide in a chair (depending on the coach). The space that you gain on the inside, to me, is more important than what you might lose outside.

You are in the coach more than you are outside. A kitchen in the slide is really a non-issue. Get the floor plan that works best for your family.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
rr2254545 wrote:
1 4 and 5 not even in the same league

Others are fine

I agree !
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
For that money a used DP is a much better way to go IMHO!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
One comment that overlooked from 2gypsies when he said, "The fewer slides you have on the patio side is better for use of your patio"! That's another one of those things I'd of not thought of but how true it is. I'll also make sure I don't buy a coach with the kitchen on the slide. That just seems like trouble!

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
I am 4 days into my new Newmar Bay Star 35 ft. and love it. I traded a C for this A and am really happy with it. I looked at the DP's and with a $400.00 oil change and not to mention the cost of the tires I walked away with the V-10. I picked it up in Jacksonville Fl and returned home to SC and was very pleased with the ride and power. I had looked at a Tiffin Alegro Bus but could not see paying that for a unit that would be sitting in my yard 6 months of the year. Good luck on your choice.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all and thanks again for your input.

My wife was against my motorhome plans and I was able through some months to move her in my direction. My initial thought was a used DP and through some comments here on the forum I started looking at gas models. I was very surprised at how nice the high end gassers are and my wife was delighted.

She also wants a NEW motorhome, I'll not spend time on that other than to say I'm buying a new motorhome? ๐Ÿ™‚

I can buy any of the coaches listed above for $120,000 and change and some for thousands less. There is no chance to buy Newmar's low end Ventana with an MSRP of $260,000 for anything near that kind of money. I understand the DP direction but for now to get me into a motorhome I'm not going to rock the boat. As my wife said the other day "I know gas and I'm comfortable with that"! That's so much better than "No - No - No"! I'd be very surprised if we don't end up with a DP later, but for now I have to ease my favorite girl forward.

Someone said "The bedroom slide is better on the street side", what side is that?

Thanks again

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
1 4 and 5 not even in the same league

Others are fine

Nothing at all wrong with #1, i would rule out 4 and 5 because of the 22k chassis. Number 6 is ok if you like to spend a lot time in Red Bay Al.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Newmar sure has a huge selection of floor-plans per model (10 for the Canyon Star).

Mondooker, I hope that you find the perfect coach!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
They are all high dollar gassers. If I was going to spend that much money, it would be for a DP, not a gasser.
2014 American Eagle

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The bedroom slide is better on the street side. It is much quieter when it doesn't extend into tour neighbors patio. We have had both and there is a huge difference if you are a light sleeper
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows