cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Motorhome Selections

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I've listed information below about the motorhomes I'm interested in and have listed them in no special order. They are all bath and a half and all have an MSRP within $10,000.00 of each other. With the exception of the Thor Miramar with a shorter WB but same quality level as the Challenger.

I know with automobiles the best ride comes from weight and wheelbase and would guess the same is true of motorhomes. The Forest River Georgetown XL and the two Newmar's have 26,000 chassis and the Newmar 3953 has a Wheel Base of 260.

Since they all have the same engine. Will the motorhomes with the bigger chassis suffer in power because of the added weight?

I'd also like to know if you have a preference on what side of the coach the bedroom slide is on and why?

I'd love to hear from you and especially those who currently have or has had one of theses coaches?

Thank you all

Forest River Georgetown XL 360DS - 37.6L - 242WB - 26,000 CH - 10 Gal HW - 5.5 Gen - $181M
Newmar Canyon Star 3710 - 38L - 242 WB - 26,000CH - 10 Gal HW - 10 Gen - $185M
Newmar Canyon Star 3953 - 40L - 260 WB - 26,000CH - 10 Gal HW - 5.5 Gen - $189M
Thor Challenger 37LX - 38.1L - 252WB - 22,000CH - 6 Gal HW - 7 Gen - $178M
Thor Miramar 34.1 - 35.10L - 242 WB - 22,000CH - 6 gal HW - 7 Gen - $156M
Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 37.6L - 252 WB - 24,000CH - 10 gal HW - 7 Gen - $171M
34 REPLIES 34

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
To answer one of your questions, the fewer slides you have on the patio side is better for use of your patio.

Also, you don't want a long overhang in the rear. The longest wheelbase is best.

After all your posts the past month on this project, I'm sure you investigated each one thoroughly for livability and maintenance/repair issues. Onward......
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Dutch Star Don. Regardless of which coach you choose, make sure you evaluate its livability beforehand. Some of the newer floor plans leave little room to walk to the back of the coach when the slides are in, just as an example. How you plan to use it, how much you plan to drive it, etc. should factor into your decision.

All the manufacturers have quality control issues, some more than others. However, some seem to do a much better job of dealing with the issues. While none of us has objective data to offer, opinions can be offered. IMO, Newmar and Tiffin would be higher on my list than the others you listed.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Mondooker"......I can't help you with your choice because it's all about your budget, what's acceptable quality to you and the floorplan you like. My sister and BIL just went shopping for a new Class A gasser and looked at similar coaches. They were all ready to sign on the dotted line with Tiffin, when my long legged BIL had them close the big slide and found he didn't fit in the front seat with the slide in. Make sure you check simple things like the above.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar or Tiffin. if any have a non -fiberglass roof, get the other one.
bumpy

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
1 4 and 5 not even in the same league

Others are fine
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks