cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach Reccomendations

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
First let me preface by saying I did do a search but I just couldn't glean exactly what I was looking for. So - Thinking of heading to Myrtle Beach over Thanksgiving break. First - is this feasible being a major holiday? Second - never been there let alone camping. I know there are quite a few CG's but I would prefer something nice. Many look like parking lots. Doesn't have to be on the beach but that's a nice to have. Doesn't have to be a resort either but decent sites. Thinking of heading out Friday before, 21st and back Wed 26th. Major travel days I know. Just looking for warmer beach getaway within a day's drive from Md.
2013 ACE 29.2
24 REPLIES 24

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't even read the thread. But if it hasnt or has already been said, MBTP. (Myrtle Beach Travel Park) U will not have to worry about getting ran over by GOLF CART(S).

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

pnordan
Explorer
Explorer
We go to the area at least 3 times a year and always go to Huntington Beach SP. It is just below Murrels Inlet, water/elec. It is less hectic than Myrtle Beach SP. Dunes between the CG and beach, 1 mile of undeveloped beach. Across US 17 is Brook Green Gardens, worth the trip itself.
May be hard to get a reservation this late but worth a try.
Paul & Kristina
Lucy & Curly
2004 American Coach Tradition
2004 jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
First let me preface by saying I did do a search but I just couldn't glean exactly what I was looking for. So - Thinking of heading to Myrtle Beach over Thanksgiving break. First - is this feasible being a major holiday? Second - never been there let alone camping. I know there are quite a few CG's but I would prefer something nice. Many look like parking lots. Doesn't have to be on the beach but that's a nice to have. Doesn't have to be a resort either but decent sites. Thinking of heading out Friday before, 21st and back Wed 26th. Major travel days I know. Just looking for warmer beach getaway within a day's drive from Md.

We usually head into the State Park if there's availability and there should be unless they've closed some spots for the winter. Once in a while, there's a special going on at the KOA and take advantage of those too. If you want the beach, then Ocean Lakes is the really big one and shouldn't be such a nut house in NOV. We have learned to stay away from that mad house in the summer, so next all around choice for beach on the north end of town, might be the Apache, even though pretty tight. There's also Lakewood and Pirate Land close to Ocean Lakes at Surfside to the south.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go to Myrtle Beach every Spring, and have done so for the last 15 years. We know the place well. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'd look at Ocean Lakes, Pirateland, Lakewood, Myrtle Beach Travel Park, or Apache. Those 5 IMO, are 'bout the best it gets at Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach State Park is nice, too, but its location right on the flight path of Myrtle Beach Airport, makes it a bit too noisy, IMO.

JMHO, but when you go to Myrtle beach, if you aren't beachfront or at the very least within easy walking distance to the beach.....For us it really defeats the purpose of going. Thats why we don't stay at some of the places already mentioned (KOA, Willow Tree).

We really, really like Ocean Lakes better than any of the rest, if for no other reason because they allow you to pick exactly which site you want, and they guarantee you that site. On their website, they show specific notes as well as physical dimensions (length and width) of every site. Sooo, you will know exactly what you're getting for your site, and can pick a site that works best for what you want. None of the other campgrounds in Myrtle Beach offer that.

Pirateland is a close 2nd, IMO, with the shelters they provide at each site, and the lazy river they offer. We've stayed there when we couldn't get the site we wanted at Ocean Lakes. Lakewood is pretty nice, too, we've stayed there a couple times. Those three are all located just south of Myrtle Beach, right next to each other.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We are KOA VIP members so that makes perfect sense to book there. Thanks everyone.
2013 ACE 29.2

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
parker21 wrote:
Willow Tree RV resort in Longs, SC. We stay here and get a rental car from Enterprise delivered to us. Only minutes from N. Myrtle and everything that goes with it, yet quiet. I think it is better than Ft. Wilderness in Disney World. www.willowtreervr.com

My family and I stay at the Myrtle Beach KOA a few times a year for 4-5 days at a time. We like the UPPER section (note the lower section can be difficult to get in and out of...and has lots of full-timers there. Not the same "camping" feel as the upper section). They are pull-thru sites and are shaded and in the woods. Feels like camping vs. being in an open field at the beach. We cook outside most meals, have campfires every night, etc. -- and this setup works very well for us. Plus most people in that upper section are doing the same. It's only a few blocks from the beach. We bring our bikes and bike up to the bike path and boardwalk. Off-season you can bike on the boardwalk which is nice. We were just there 2 weeks ago and it always shows us a good time.

With regard to your comment above about Enterprise delivering a car to your campsite, I called Enterprise in Myrtle and they said they would come and pick me up...but wouldn't deliver the car to the CG. Can I ask what your experience is here? Do some Enterprise rental agencies do this but others don't? Which Enterprise did you use? And what kind of rates do you typically get? Reason I ask is because we're contemplating switching from a 5th wheel to Class A...and would rather not put a toad behind the coach. If Enterprise will delivery a car to us at the CG that simplifies things greatly.

Thanks.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
If you gots little kids PirateLand which is next door to LAKEWOOD is a great camp ground for kids with the Pirate scenes on their inner Lakes......

I grew up with annual treks from Northern NJ to Pirateland. I have some of my best memories from those family vacations. I used to go to the now torn down amusement park between Lakewood and Pirateland.

As we got older, we would rent houses or condos in Myrtle Beach but nothing beats the campgrounds for avoiding the crowds and relaxing. In both Lakewood and Pirateland you never have to leave - which is why we went there. Walk to the (uncrowded) beach and a private, quiet setting.

Once my Allegro is fully restored (read: road worthy for long trips) I plan to take it back down there to share the experience with my own kids.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

FC
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the KOA as it's set into a great treed area. Two blocks to the beach and can walk to many different restaurants. We have also stayed at Ocean Lakes and Lakewood, but prefer the KOA.
Jm2cw
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

Another M.B.T.P. Vote here.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RVChippys
Explorer
Explorer
2 votes here(my wife and I) for Myrtle beach Travel park.Address 10108 kings road Myrtle Beach SC.Walk 200 feet to the ocean and very clean.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA about a month ago for Bike Week. Great place and will be going back in the Spring.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to M.B. Travel Park for over 40 years. Have tried some of the others, but this is still our favorite. It is quiet, you have your choice of treed sites or sites on the ocean or their lake; shopping and restaurants/shows close by. There is no development adjoining the beach north of the park so not real busy for exploring.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean lakes or Lakewood, both are good RV parks.. we always stay at one of the two.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes is our favorite. It is clean, you can get a site on or near the ocean and most sites have concrete pads. Indoor pool and many other amenities.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park on the north end is also nice. I don't believe they have added concrete pads but it is otherwise a nice, ocean front RV park.

We've never stayed at Willow Tree but it has a stellar reputation. It is just that we go to MB to be near the ocean and Willow Tree is miles away.

If you like live shows, both the One show at Alabama Theater and the Carolina Opry are really great. They will both be doing their holiday shows during that time.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA