cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery switches & window blinds

noisy
Explorer
Explorer
New owners of a '96 Thor Residency. Trying to decipher some of the switches to the right of driver's dashboard. Anybody know what the docking switches do? Has been suggested the operate the lights in the storage bins, but ours don't. Also, trying to find end caps for day blinds. Seems like they're all too big. Need 1/2" width with holes.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
As stated by others, our docking lights will work anytime with or without the ignition on. We have two spot lights on each side of the coach and two in the back for connecting/disconnecting the tow vehicle in the dark.

Our docking light system also works with our "See Vision" system that utilize our existing 'turn-signal' cameras and the rear camera. If I hear something go bump in the night, I can hit the docking lights and see around the coach without exiting as we have a monitor in the bedroom. We also have a camera where a rear view mirror would be located so I can toggle the camera choice to see in the living area too.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I had good luck getting end caps for my miniblind shade at CW. My day/night shades have the manufacturer info in the bottom rail - I needed them restrung a few years back, even though the shades were over 8 yrs old - company did the restringing for free. You might be able to contact your shade manufacturer and get the end caps you need
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Our docking lights are just lights on the side of the coach that light up to aid in walking around / parking / whatever. They turn on like a regular light, just outside and don't require the coach to be on or in reverse.

There is a separate switch for the storage lights. I'd suggest making sure those don't have a manual turn off.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 on each side of our Beaver coach. Ours will turn on without the ignition on. Some RV's require the key in the on position. If your lights are not working you may have a bad bulb or ground. They come in handy when trying to park in the dark.
Let us know what you find out Curious posters want to know.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Noisy,
If they are true "Docking lights", and you have a switch for them, about 99.99% of the time, you can turn the switch "On" but, they won't go actually on until the rig is in reverse. Now, there may be some out there that are wired different than what I just described but, that's the normal operation for them. You can check to see if it works the way I described but, it may take two people. The reason, if you start the engine, put the rig in reverse and, set the brakes to hold it while you check the docking lights, the parking brake may shut them down, not sure. So, a simple answer here is, have TWO people, one inside with the engine running and in reverse, the other outside checking the lights. Worth a try here. Do report back to see if it works this way will you?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
On ours the lites are on both sides and on the rear cap up high. The ignition has to be on for mine to work.
Ron

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
My docking lights are just as described. Turn the switch on and take a walk around the rv.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
On a boat docking lights are recessed floodlights that illuminate the dock as you approach along side. I have seen a few on motorhomes, they are kind of like backup lights but on the sides.