cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need E-450 rear axle repair in Seattle area

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have recommendations for a place in the Seattle area to work on the rear axle of my '03 E450? I had carrier bearings replaced at Randy's Ring and Pinion 40K miles ago and I've got metal in the oil again and a weaping pinion seal. I normally do all my own work, but this is a bit too heavy duty for me.
16 REPLIES 16

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
If I was in your shoes, I'd go back to Randy's. Close to home, decent reputation. I'd discuss the previous job only lasted 40K, and inquire if they could do a job which lasted longer. It is possible some other place not knowing the history could bypass the checks (housing, cleanliness, care in assembly etc.) which would make the job last longer. Randy's would be in the mode to insure a better outcome.

OTOH if you think the thing is jinxed, and I've had a couple like that, you may want to have a good low mile used swapped in.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
Metal could also be coming from wheel bearings as gear oil follows axle to wheel bearings then run back to diff.were they inspected last time? the synthetic I used to sell said 70-140w on the bottle. Dave

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm suspicious about the gear oil that was installed with the previous rebuild. It's listed as PENB140W at $5 a quart. I think they used dino oil instead of a full synthetic that Ford specifies.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Just reviewing my repair order from '06, they replaced carrier and pinion bearings a mere 50,000 miles ago.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Any idea if you have limited slip? That actually sounds exactly like clutch pack material. My plug gets the exact same buildup. If you do have limited slip, that metallic sludge is perfectly normal.

I'm pretty certain it doesn't have limited slip. I would have noticed that when I pulled the cover off 40K miles ago.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I normally don't give second chances to a shop but Randy's is the best around and will take care of you.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
If the bearinga are bad again....btw both times at 40K miles....I would bet the truck was in an accident and the rear housing is bent. Go back to Randys and have them check if they are bad....if so replace the entire rear assembly with a used one.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
I think I have some noise that sounds a lot like tires singing; however, I've about convinced myself that it isn't the tires since the sound is from the rear and I have the same tires all around. No vibrations at all. I've cleaned metal off of the fill plug magnet several times in the last 10K. It'll build up to about 1/16" thick on the magnet. I've got powder, small glitter, and some black flakes that don't look like metal but they are magnetic. I'm in Lynnwood, just barely. Probably 2-3 miles from Randy's which I also drove by almost everyday before I retired.

Any idea if you have limited slip? That actually sounds exactly like clutch pack material. My plug gets the exact same buildup. If you do have limited slip, that metallic sludge is perfectly normal.

BTW - that same sludge can build up on the speed sensor. I have to periodically clean my sensor off too, because that sludge can trigger the ABS light when it gets too thick.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have some noise that sounds a lot like tires singing; however, I've about convinced myself that it isn't the tires since the sound is from the rear and I have the same tires all around. No vibrations at all. I've cleaned metal off of the fill plug magnet several times in the last 10K. It'll build up to about 1/16" thick on the magnet. I've got powder, small glitter, and some black flakes that don't look like metal but they are magnetic. I'm in Lynnwood, just barely. Probably 2-3 miles from Randy's which I also drove by almost everyday before I retired.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
I don't think there was any particular event that caused the first failure, probably a manufacturing defect is my guess but it was already making noise when I bought it with 40K on the clock so I'm only guessing. There hasn't been any particular event that would have cause a second failure and I really do baby the drivetrain. I'm not inclined to go back to Randy's again since it seems their previous repair only lasted me 40K. Randy's is just a couple of miles from my house, so their location is a real plus for me.

With multiple failures, and knowing now that you bought used, it's very possible it was simply abused before you bought it. Either towing WAY too much, or maybe even doing something dumb like running conventional gear oil back there. I think you'd have a really tough time finding a shop that would be as good as Randy's. And, if it was abused good chance the metal is coming from a part other than the carrier bearings. But if it is carrier bearings, maybe you can get them to give you a break on the new repairs? Even if you went to another shop, good chance they'll source the new parts from Randy's anyways.

Do you have any other symptoms, like noises or vibrations? What does the metal look like?

BTW - You must be in Lynnwood or Mukilteo? I drive by Randy's almost every day:)
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Be sure to have Randy's Check for a bent axle. Could have been an initial manufacturing defect.

Curb strike, or jacking the rear end from the differential can also throw an axle tube out of alignment.
2015 Ford Focus ST

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to have Randy's Check for a bent axle. Could have been an initial manufacturing defect.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in the repair business I found many times bearings going bad in rearends with low mileage.Never used to see this in 100000 miles .

I think its due to poor quality of bearings used today.Even found many bearings and races with made in %$#^&% on them.

That said I would go back to man who repaired it last time and at least let him examine it.JMO dave

ps.

I always used name brand bearings but some still not usa made

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub ... your situation reminds me of my '05 E450 transmsision failure this past summer at only 51K miles.

Both situations are frustrating and both failures "should not have happened". :M
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C