cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help in Choosing MH Length

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
First of all since this is my first post, Hello! I've been lurking on here for a while and finally decided that I had enough questions and things to add that I would sign up for an account and make this my first post.

My wife and I are in our 30's and looking to go full time for at least one year. We plan to spend our time traveling across the country spending however long we want at each location (could be a day or a week - maybe longer). We definitely want to go to the National parks and want to be able to take our MH into those parks when possible. So far it seems that 35' might be the limit we can go given this limitation but I wanted to ask those who have been on the road and experienced this first hand. We've decided that a Class A is the way to go and are still undecided between a DP or gasser. Our preference is a used DP as they amenities tend to be much nicer but it seems to be very hard to find a 35' and under DP with the upper end amenities. We're finding the things we like happen to be 36' and up.

So we're in a quandary. Our priority here is to see/camp at the best locations and get into the parks. If we can do this in a bigger rig, awesome - just wondering what all of you have experienced (or can you point me to some nice DP rigs that are '35 and under). I've searched and come up with the info mentioned above.

Thanks and good to "meet" you.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/
31 REPLIES 31

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38' Newmar with the Ford 3752 Chassis with 362' HP V10 Gas and 5 speed Trans. No problem crossing the Rockies with Jeep in tow. We have been to all mainline states except 6 on the east coast and have no problem parking.

35 is about the breaking point in coach length to include a W/D. which we find a must. Thirty-eight gives more living area and ours has 3 slides. The quality of coaches is to be found in the higher end coaches and not necessary connected to whether one is a gas or diesel. Diesel and gas have to do with the chassis manufacturer not the house builder. There are both cheap and quality houses built upon each chassis. House quality depends upon who built the house. Newmar is built by the Amish. They are renown for their quality craftsmanship.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
What is your budget and what floorplan do you like? Those 2 things are far more critical than length. There are countless places to camp and many here can attest that length is less of an issue than you think it will be. If you want 35 then get 35, but floorplan is the most critical decision. After all you will be living in it. Make sure you like the floorplan while traveling too as that seems to be important from your last post. Many nice floorplans are cumbersome going down the road just to move around (can't open the fridge, bedroom is cut off, cabinets are cut off etc). Find one you like, then shop for pricing and models based on that. And BTW there are PLENTY of DP's everywhere from 32-45'. Many new short DP's by Thor (Steer clear of the Palazzo), FR, FW, Winnie, Newmar etc. As others have said, longer wheelbase is a factor as is weight. I know the Excursion for example has a shorter wheelbase than some of the others. But there are PLENTY of MH's in all lengths.
2013 ACE 29.2

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your observation is correct about a short diesel being harder to find. The second issue that many on this forum warn about is the ride quality of a shorter DP because of the shorter wheel base and lighter front end. Ideally for getting into SP's, NF's, and and NP CG's a 32 ft with two slides or a full wall slide is ideal. The other issue is the HP/WT ratio is better for the gas at that size. In general 36 ft or over I would go with a DP, engines are bigger to offset the heavier wt, ride quality is reported to be better.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on going with a toad it will make a difference in what you can tow. Gas chassis will tow less than a DP. My limit is 4000# but has not been a problem. Without a toad you will be severely limited in where you can go with any sizeable MH. It takes me about 5 min to hookup alone.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the used Country Coach models are 36 foot and under. Not sure what your price range is but here is an example
http://www.rvt.com/Country-Coach-Allure--2004-La-quinta-CA-ID5175249-UX76363
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
1st and only motorhome but i have a 40DP newmar london aire and LOVE IT! , We have 2 small kids and a mother in law and just got back from Des moines,ia , no issues stayed at couple Corp lake camp sites no issues

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 35' DP. I purchased the size intentionally because of limits in some state parks in California. I've never not been able to stay anyplace I wanted to stay. However, I think I would have been just as well off with a 38 footer. Now that I'm able to use it more, I do wish I had at least a 38 footer, but I could survive traveling for months at a time in the 35er too.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to RV.Net! I suggest that you make a price that you can afford for a RV then stick to that price! Next for what you can afford check out the coaches that have a floor plan and colors that suit your wants and needs. Narrow the search down to 3 RV's then pick the coach that has the most extras! Good Luck, I own a 36' Winnebago with a Workhorse been RVing since 1976!

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. This is some great info and joust what we were looking for . Some things I think I should clarify. When I spoke of amenities, I was referring to the interior of the couch - leather, nice tile floors and the overall finish. When comparing a gas vs DP she likes the DP every time due to the interior (but if we found a gas with the same interior, we'd be happy spending less).

Also, a 5th wheel is most likely not in the cards. We have two huge dogs we'll be taking on this trip and we'll also be moving through places fairly quickly. We'd like to have access to the coach while on the road and let the boys have more room. We also want to be able to pull up and go much more quickly than you can with a 5th wheel (unless I am mistaken). Same goes for the Class C MH...not big enough for what we are looking for.

All that said, it doesn't sound like getting something a few feet over 35 would really handicap us.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry to hear of your loss, William. Our prayers to you and your family....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
I have a 38' Newmar Mountain Aire and the amenities are there in my gasser. I love it. This is our 4th. MH and we had everything but a 5th. wheel since 1969. My daughter wants me to sell this MH and get something smaller because my DW died last Fri. I will use the MH and don't want a smaller one. My AC is so quiet with the Newmar system I don't have to turn the TV up to hear. We have yet to find a place we can't get into with our size MH.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you are doing ok. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38' Newmar Mountain Aire and the amenities are there in my gasser. I love it. This is our 4th. MH and we had everything but a 5th. wheel since 1969. My daughter wants me to sell this MH and get something smaller because my DW died last Fri. I will use the MH and don't want a smaller one. My AC is so quiet with the Newmar system I don't have to turn the TV up to hear. We have yet to find a place we can't get into with our size MH.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you're from Los Angeles, you probably already know you're going to be really limited as to State Parks. The National Parks are a little more forgiving. That said, it's been our experience that we've enjoyed the parks much better when traveling with our toad rather than the coach. For instance, it was nice, from a viewpoint vantage to travel Yellowstone from the East entrance to the West entrance. Then we stayed at Grizzly RV Park right outside the West entrance and enjoyed two full weeks visiting within the park. Remember too, that the length of the space is only one consideration. A large motor home does not bend in the middle. The entrance roads, interior roads, trees and boulders may limit the size of the rig that can be accommodated. If you're limiting yourselves to State and National Parks, I would recommend a nice Class C for your travels.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't count out a 5th wheel and truck. Usually cheaper to buy truck and trailer than a MH. With that set-up you have vehicle to use also. I am not against MH, just for your consideration

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 39ft.; been using it quite often in the state & private parks up and down the east coast and some into the Midwest. With that said we found that some of the older private campgrounds weren't able to accommodate the larger size. 36 foot is a great size as it's seems to be the most common. That was the size we had targeted, but ended up with an extra 3 ft. no regrets either.
The smaller diesel pushers are uncommon due to number of reasons, but can be found. Good Luck keep us posted
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations