cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help...Transmission "skipping"...Trying to get home.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Fleetwood Flair V-10
Transmission skipping / slipping / short shifting, overdrive button light blinking, service engine soon light on and I'm getting the following code:
P0720 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor
Here's a brief story behind this...About 5 years ago and 20k miles ago I was on my way out of town towing about 5k with me when suddenly the overdrive button light started blinking and the trans started slipping / short shifting..etc. I pulled over, shut off the coach, unplugged the two plugs on the drivers side of the trans (one toward the top and one lower) I blew them out, plugged them back in, started the coach and drove away...no blinking light, no erratic trans issues...nothing. Fast forward 5 years and 20k miles and the problem is back. I tried the same thing...removed the two plugs, blew them out, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner, plugged them back in and the problem went away for 57 miles then came back. I've found some info that suggest bad grounds and or faulty PCM's and etc...I intend to investigate these issues....BUT..here's my problem; I'm away from home and need to travel about 400 miles...It seems the problem only occurs when pulling away from a stop and if I manually shift it the problem doesn't seem to be an issue. Do you think I'll be okay making this 400 mile trip, mostly highway miles? If it does 'act up' would I be okay to disconnect the battery to clear the code to get some mileage then repeat if necessary?
21 REPLIES 21

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
dreamco wrote:
Raymon wrote:
dreamco wrote:
Raymon wrote:

I am not familiar with the codes. When I had my c-class with a Ford chassis, one of the things I did after only a few thousand miles, I changed the transmission fluid to full synthetic. It was just a personal decision I made based on my automotive experience and knowledge. I know some people will most likely disagree and say that I wasted money. It gave me peace of mind when climbing long, steep grades in the Rockies.

Ray

I'm definitely converting to full synthetic on my next service...probably as soon as I get home.

the tranny fluid already is full synthetic.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
FuzzyKnight wrote:
This transmission does not like to tow any thing!!! If and when you do tow any thing do not use OD. It will burn that baby up!! Ask me how I know - 5k later!!
Good luck I hope you make it home!!

In the summer I mostly tow two 3-seater watercrafts and a zieman trailer, about 3,000lbs...in the winter I tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a sport utility vehicle and two quads...about 6,000lbs

I almost never use overdrive when towing either...the exception being those long slight downhill grades.

Thanks Fuzzy!

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:
dreamco wrote:
Raymon wrote:

I am not familiar with the codes. When I had my c-class with a Ford chassis, one of the things I did after only a few thousand miles, I changed the transmission fluid to full synthetic. It was just a personal decision I made based on my automotive experience and knowledge. I know some people will most likely disagree and say that I wasted money. It gave me peace of mind when climbing long, steep grades in the Rockies.

Ray

I'm definitely converting to full synthetic on my next service...probably as soon as I get home.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
Not a Ford guy, but I would assume there are 2 identical sensors, one on the input and the other on the output. Swap the sensors and see if the problem changes, or the error code changes to the front. That will let you know if it is a wiring problem or a sensor problem without spending money.

I couldn't find two sensors that looked alike or find anything that would suggest their is an input shaft sensor.
Good idea though...

Explorer
Explorer
FuzzyKnight wrote:
This transmission does not like to tow any thing!!! If and when you do tow any thing do not use OD. It will burn that baby up!! Ask me how I know - 5k later!!

????????????

The tranny behind the V10 is not the same tranny as behind the 460. I've pulled my 5000 lb toad over 35,000 miles (including crossing the Rockies) and the tranny is running just fine. I did, however, change the fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic when I bought it with 32,000 miles on the clock.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:

Ray

X2
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Fuzzy, Fuzzy, Fuzzy!!!!!

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
dreamco wrote:
Raymon wrote:
You did not mention whether or not you have ever had the transmission serviced. Ford requires the transmission fluid to be changed every 30,000 miles. If not, the transmission will "stutter" when climbing hills or towing. If your fluid has not been changed, I would start there because it should be changed and it just might correct your problem. If changing the fluid does not correct the problem, then you can do the things other posters have suggested.

Ray

Hi Ray,
The coach has 48k miles on it...first trans service was at 18k, second was at 36k so I'm probably due for another anytime.
Do you think it would code p0720 if it needed a service though?

Ray

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Ford guy, but I would assume there are 2 identical sensors, one on the input and the other on the output. Swap the sensors and see if the problem changes, or the error code changes to the front. That will let you know if it is a wiring problem or a sensor problem without spending money.
IRV2

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:
You did not mention whether or not you have ever had the transmission serviced. Ford requires the transmission fluid to be changed every 30,000 miles. If not, the transmission will "stutter" when climbing hills or towing. If your fluid has not been changed, I would start there because it should be changed and it just might correct your problem. If changing the fluid does not correct the problem, then you can do the things other posters have suggested.

Ray

Hi Ray,
The coach has 48k miles on it...first trans service was at 18k, second was at 36k so I'm probably due for another anytime.
Do you think it would code p0720 if it needed a service though?

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
don/lou wrote:
Replace the speed sensor its on the diff on drivers side top front
About 45.00
Don

The code p0720 indicates a fault with the output shaft speed sensor. Isn't that the sensor located at the top front left (driver side) of trans?

don_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the speed sensor its on the diff on drivers side top front
About 45.00
Don
Don & Louise

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I found this thread; it looks like a few people replaced the sensors and that did not correct the issue...grounding and or PCM appear to be the more common culprit...I'm still going to start with the sensor replacement since it's really all I can do while on the road with limited tools..etc.