cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to replace all window treatments. Suggestions?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
So I've come to the conclusion that we really need to swap out our window treatments to something that will actually block out the light when we are sleeping. Right now we have just the fabric pull downs that don't seem to block hardly any light at all.. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I need something other than tint. I like to still be able to see out during the day but would like something better. Also want to get rid of the wrap around curtains in front windshield. Give me some options that work awesome and won't cost $1000's...
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

22 REPLIES 22

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
mkane wrote:
dalerussel wrote:
As a cheap fix, we cut some reflective window insullation to the size of our bedroom window. We put it underneath our shades when we want it dark. It also helps with temperature control while parked. Camping World sells rolls of this. We also use this in our front windshield under the curtains.

You can also get Reflectix insulation at Lowe's. $43 for a 4' x 25' roll.

Careful with this quick fix if you have doublepane windows. Others have reported problems with the windows after putting reflective material up in the window. Seems it reflects the heat into the air gap and causes leaks!

We have used beach towels in the bedroom between the pleated shades and the surround. Really helps with heat and cold, especially cold nights because the window is over the head of the bed and the cold comes straight down on our heads with out the towel. Hold them in place with swim noodle.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
We went to a home improvement store and ordered shades that were made to fit. I insisted on getting the most insulated shades they had. We have had them for 2 years and it makes a big difference in keeping the heat in/out of the windows.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Georgetown XL has the MCD roller shades with the power front shade and we love them. They are a little pricey but light years ahead of the pleated day/night shades we had in our fifth wheel.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

mkane
Explorer
Explorer
dalerussel wrote:
As a cheap fix, we cut some reflective window insullation to the size of our bedroom window. We put it underneath our shades when we want it dark. It also helps with temperature control while parked. Camping World sells rolls of this. We also use this in our front windshield under the curtains.

You can also get Reflectix insulation at Lowe's. $43 for a 4' x 25' roll.

Bags4266
Explorer
Explorer
Just did my coach. Used blinds.com. Wait till they have sales, usually always some brand is on sale. To do the whole coach with roman shades, black out backs for the bedroom was just over a thousand. Nine shades in total

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to the MCD website and price out the shades. They give you prices by computing a general length by width. I added MCD shades to my last coach. I added nine window shades Day/Night and a powered front shade. The total was $3500.00 doing my own install. The power front shade was $1100.00 of the $3500.00.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
JoeTampa wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and look at their total blackout pleated shades. We put them in the bedroom and they were perfect for sleeping. They also raised and lowered like a regular blind would...no strings like the original pleated shades.

That's what I did:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27925522.cfm

How do these attach at the top?

Any reason you bought these over just pull down rollers?

Ours easily fit where our old pleated shades fit - inside our existing wood valance. It was just a narrow metal strip screwed in.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pull down roller? If you mean like the plain vinyl shades that were used many years ago....the ones we bought are more pleasing to the eye.

What he said. Plus, they don't have to be coaxed to go up (tugging juuust the right anount); they go up as far as you push and come down as far as you pull, and that's it.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
JoeTampa wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and look at their total blackout pleated shades. We put them in the bedroom and they were perfect for sleeping. They also raised and lowered like a regular blind would...no strings like the original pleated shades.

That's what I did:

Ours easily fit where our old pleated shades fit - inside our existing wood valance. It was just a narrow metal strip screwed in.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pull down roller? If you mean like the plain vinyl shades that were used many years ago....the ones we bought are more pleasing to the eye.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
MCD shades are not cheap. But they are sure nice.

Second that. We put in one MCD and they are nice. Then went to Blinds Chalet http://blindschalet.com/ . the shades actually made by United shade. We order 2 from them for our hallway. the day night roller solar shades. IMHO they are as good as the MCD at 1/2 the price. But make sure of your valance depth. When we order we didn't know they make a narrow shade which we need for our valances. their shades are custom but they are going to take them back and put on the narrow mounts . no cost except the shipping to them. that's good customer service.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
JoeTampa wrote:
2gypsies wrote:

That's what I did:

2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:
2gypsies wrote:

That's what I did:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

That's what I did:

2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Not a solution for blackout curtains, but we removed a couple of venetian blinds in the bathroom and galley that remained perpetually closed collecting dust and replaced them with vinyl films purchased from Home depot or online. A stained glass film and blue sky and clouds film lets the light in and brightens up the room.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty