cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Class C owner stability control??

stew9483
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from my first trip in our NEW Thor Chateau 31E Motorhome and I must say there were a few white knuckle experiences. It was rather windy the first day. So I have went and purchased a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer and a Hellwig rear sway bar hoping this will help out a lot. Have any of you tried these products on your Class C? They came highly recommended and I want to enjoy this RV not be scared to drive it. We bought it to head across country and to enjoy the camping life style again. We had a travel trailer back in the 90's and loved it. Now the kids are grown and its our time. Hope to get these installed next week before our next trip.
22 REPLIES 22

stew9483
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I am use to pulling travel trailers so yes the MH is a new beast for me. On my way home I handled it a lot better but it did take some getting use to. My tire pressure is around 65-70. I plan on getting the unit weighed soon to determine correct pressure for each axle. Was also hoping that by going with the steering stabilizer and the rear sway bar it would help with the passing 18 wheeler s and cross winds. I love this new motorhome. This newbee just has a lot to learn. lol. Thanks again for all the comments.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Its to bad vehicles leave the factory the way some do too !
I completely don't understand why any MH over 19ft would come unequipped with a rear sway bar, heavy duty shocks and an alignment after it leaves the MH factory for starters !

Granted our MH is older 2005 , but when I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and installed the rear sway bar it was like driving a different MH.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Not to get into a debate about tire pressures and charts, but I have found out by experimentation, that on our 32 ft. class c (Tioga), that with 72 front and 80 rear, it rides the best.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
After reading several posts such as this I was a little fearful of how my rig would handle but I'm extremely happy with it. I wouldn't spend a nickel on improvements. It drives fine fully loaded or fully unloaded, towing or not towing. I really wonder how much of this has to do with those that have never driven anything bigger than a pick-up. I think some of the things mentioned will stiffen things up a bit (especially the hellwig sway bar) but it ain't no car.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Plus 1 on the tire pressure, especially the front. I'll bet that they are aired up to 80psi, way to much for the load on the front. Had similar handling issues when ours were at 80, Michelin guide recommends 65 for our weight on front. After lowering the pressure to 65-70 handling was much improved.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
stew9483 wrote:
Just got back from my first trip in our NEW Thor Chateau 31E Motorhome and I must say there were a few white knuckle experiences. It was rather windy the first day. So I have went and purchased a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer and a Hellwig rear sway bar hoping this will help out a lot. Have any of you tried these products on your Class C? They came highly recommended and I want to enjoy this RV not be scared to drive it. We bought it to head across country and to enjoy the camping life style again. We had a travel trailer back in the 90's and loved it. Now the kids are grown and its our time. Hope to get these installed next week before our next trip.

Your post illustrates the necessity for a thorough test drive Before buying any RV, new or used. Any rig, especially a new one, that needs thousands of dollars of of suspension modifications right off the dealers lot is the wrong product.

A simple check of the tire pressures before the test drive is essential. You can split the difference between the dry weight and the GVWR as a starting g point (for an empty coach) and set the psi accordingly based upon the tire manufacturers recommendations. Run from any dealer who balks at doing this.

A test drive should include some serious interstate time at a variety of speeds, hopefully on a windy day. How does it respond to passing 18 wheelers? How is the visibility (blind spots)? A run up and down a healthy grade, 6% would be ideal but probably not available). Does it track in a straight line without steering input? It should.

Often merely getting the tire pressures correct and perhaps a proper alignment (which most rigs do not come with), will negate any need to spend thousands of dollars on after market bolt on solutions {which may or may not work}.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.

:C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those parts will help considerably. The Hellwig bar will help reduce sway, and when Fords sway the sway causes false steering. The Reflex will help keep the front wheels centered in your lane. It does that with a spring, so installation is critical.
Then do this $10 thing. With it loaded and fueled, including passengers, weigh it at a truck stop. Then adjust tire pressure to actual axle weights, using a chart like Michelin's. It works across brands, so long as you match the specs of the tires exactly.
AND inquire about having the front end aligned. Since it's new, Ford or Thor should pay for it but a good personal investment even if they do not. Request that the CASTER angle be set "high", at least 5-degrees, not the 3-degrees that's the center of the range. Go as high as 7-degrees if you can.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB