cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Gas Chassis Choices

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious and with Workhorse out of the Motor Coach chassis business, what might be available besides a Ford, for a gas puller chassis and have heard that some Coach manufactures are building their own?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
27 REPLIES 27

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
-Gramps- wrote:
None of the very few problems with the UFO were unique due to the engine in the back. It quit being made because it cost more than the market would bear and because GM discontinued the big block gas engine.

Was thinking along those lines as well, so where's this big block coming from, with Spartan's idea of a puller chassis? Also, wondering how come it has to cost so much more, with putting the engine in the rear?

In my case it cost more because of the size of the coach not due to engine being in the rear, well that is not exactly true. The first year R&D cost in 2007 made the price a bit higher. WH had plans to come out with a 26-32 foot chassis which would have cost quite a bit less, but they never got the chance to do that.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
-Gramps- wrote:
None of the very few problems with the UFO were unique due to the engine in the back. It quit being made because it cost more than the market would bear and because GM discontinued the big block gas engine.

Was thinking along those lines as well, so where's this big block coming from, with Spartan's idea of a puller chassis? Also, wondering how come it has to cost so much more, with putting the engine in the rear?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
LVJ58 wrote:
myrtle beach rver wrote:
Negative to too big a gasser is after about 36 ft plus a toad getting into gas stations requires prior planning. Backing up with a toad is never advised.

For whatever it's worth, our 2000 gas coach is 37'8" long, and in the 14 years we've had it, no major problems getting fuel with our toad attached.

Granted the layout of some stations are a bit tricky. We usually try to fuel at Pilot or Flying J stations where they have islands dedicated to RV's, also get a small discount on our fuel.

Safe Travels...:)
Some people with have trouble maneuvering a 24 foot coach with a toad. In fact, some will have trouble doing it without the toad.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
-Gramps- wrote:
My coach is 39.5 feet long. Maybe Spartan will come out with a gas pusher as good or better than mine which happens to be a good coach.

Here is a look at the Spartan FREG chassis they have announced.

Spartan Gas Chassis

Wow for sure and would like to see it in production, even though it seems they're sticking to the puller concept, rather than a pusher and there must have been more problems than anyone knows about, with the UFO chassis or maybe it was just a matter of economics. I do remember you having a UFO and good to hear that it's been a good one. You'd even think that they would be in high demand, considering the small amount available by comparison to the gas pullers.
As for the Spartan engine, I would tend to think it's a GM block and wouldn't think they'd start from scratch with this undertaking.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I test drove a 39'-11" Newmar on the F53/V10 chassis, with the wheelbase stretched to 260" because it was a toy hauler. Power was not a problem and maneuvering was surprisingly good for that size coach. It did have more body-roll than I like however Roadmaster has a solution for that. My main complaint however applies to all motorhomes.... Gotta have a toad to do anything once you park! My E350 would be a little too much toad for that rig.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
myrtle beach rver wrote:
Negative to too big a gasser is after about 36 ft plus a toad getting into gas stations requires prior planning. Backing up with a toad is never advised.

For whatever it's worth, our 2000 gas coach is 37'8" long, and in the 14 years we've had it, no major problems getting fuel with our toad attached.

Granted the layout of some stations are a bit tricky. We usually try to fuel at Pilot or Flying J stations where they have islands dedicated to RV's, also get a small discount on our fuel.

Safe Travels...:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
My coach is 39.5 feet long. Maybe Spartan will come out with a gas pusher as good or better than mine which happens to be a good coach.

Here is a look at the Spartan FREG chassis they have announced.

Spartan Gas Chassis

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
myrtle beach rver wrote:
Having owned both workhorse and now a ford chassis on tiffin motorhomes I would say they are similar. Workhorse was quieter and allison trans shifted smoother on acceleration. Pick up from a dead stop was also better under load. At highway speeds ford tends to drift and porpoise less and has good pickup on the highway.
X-2, I've owned both and I agree with this post!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
reubenray wrote:
If there was a gas rig with a bigger engine/chassis/transmission/etc. to support a 40 footer with 4 slides I would jump at it instead of getting a diesel rig.

Kinda what I was hoping for with the UFO gas pusher and before everything went downhill. Also wondering what WH might do with it and if any Coach manufacture would be interested in buying that chassis and assuming it would be for sale. Most sure the idea has came up many times and for whatever reason, it's been a no go so far.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
The Dodge V-10 would be GREAT in a MH, but it is no longer in production. People who have pulled with both the Dodge V-10, and the Cummins 5.9, have said there is very little difference between them, except for the mileage.
Wildmanbaker

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
For right now Ford has all the market. I think the Ford is a great engin. I like to see a little competition. I wonder if the Doge V10 could be made to work.
I had a nice talk with Cummins at Perrey last month and looked at their new V8 diesel right now it is listed at 300 HP. Almost 1000 pounds lighter than the straight 6 more compact. I asked if they had plans on increasing the HP. The answer was basically you have to start somewhere. We all know how things tend to grow to meet demand.
I think the EPA should give an exemption to motorhome use as there are so few on the road and they are driven so few miles every year.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
If there was a gas rig with a bigger engine/chassis/transmission/etc. to support a 40 footer with 4 slides I would jump at it instead of getting a diesel rig.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox