cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tires on Wednesday

artillery6
Explorer
Explorer
Having new tires installed on Wednesday. Used the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and saved over $110 a tire. Replaced Goodyears that were 7 years old and starting to river. I'm an aviator and know for a fact that if you don't take care of machines they can hurt you. Be safe. The FMCA Michelin deal really saved me a lot of money and is so easy to use. Did the whole thing right in the tire shops office in less than 5 minutes.
26 REPLIES 26

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We also went through the FMCA Michelin tire program with our previous 2008 coach changing out all 8 tires in May of 2013 with tires dated 2006-4206 (7 yr. old tires). I received $50 each for the take-off's. A good deal all the way around.

Seven years is my personal limit as my old tires still had a little value and good tread with 57,000 miles. I knew that we were going to change coaches so I got to use the new tires for 1.5 yrs. before we sold it. It also gave value to our coach because of the newer tires.

Goodyear tires rivering just don't give me the warm fuzzy's. It seems tread wear like rivering would also build up heat as that has to stress the tire (only a logical observation not technical).

Taking tires to the maximum life just doesn't seem safe to me and that would be all I would be thinking about... a blow-out.

Everybody has their comfort level, I'm with the OP, he did good.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
all you cranky people,,go back to bed, the guy needed new tires and he bought the best, so did I.

Not true.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I always find it amazing how one person's best is another's worst nightmare. :S
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
all you cranky people,,go back to bed, the guy needed new tires and he bought the best, so did I.

Click

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the cranky people up early comment.
I just bought new Michilins for my toad and saved $600 over the same tires at the same dealer for the same tires without it. Consumer Reports rated these car tires far superior over the next available brand.
I have Goodyears on the RV with no problems seen. Two years old. The last set lasted 7 years.
Other MHs in th past have had good luck with Michilins
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replace my tires at approximately 50,000 miles which is usually in the 3-4 year range. I am sure that I could get more miles, but I prefer the ride and traction that the newer tires provide. I have had excellent luck with both Goodyear and Michelin tires but I also carry an air compressor and check my tires each morning before hitting the road.
By changing my tires at 50,000 miles I also am able to negotiate a decent trade in value that more than makes up for going another few years with the tires and keeping them past the point where they lose any trade in value.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
Gee, cranky people up early.

I have had excellent results with Michelins in various applications. Not cheap, for sure, but the FMCA plan seems legit.

Damage reports alone have made me cautious about tires. I have heard several times of $10,000 to $15,000 of damage from a blown tire. Delays waiting for repairs, hazard to others, guilt, having your nerves damaged, scaring a spouse out of RVs completely...

If you are not confident with tires you are on, you SHOULD replace them. These vehicles are not bicycles.

Matt B

You said it right and I didn't notice an estimated mileage by the op. Who cares if they are 1 year old or 7. Don't the miles matter? The op is running it and he knows what he is comfortable with. I have had great luck with Michelins on my cars. SO smooth.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last blowout I had cost me $1400. Two tires blew out within 100 miles of each other and were less than two years old and had about 10,000 miles on them. My previous set of Goodyears lasted four years before they started blowing out.

I think that the decision to go to Michelins was good insurance.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, cranky people up early.

I have had excellent results with Michelins in various applications. Not cheap, for sure, but the FMCA plan seems legit.

Damage reports alone have made me cautious about tires. I have heard several times of $10,000 to $15,000 of damage from a blown tire. Delays waiting for repairs, hazard to others, guilt, having your nerves damaged, scaring a spouse out of RVs completely...

If you are not confident with tires you are on, you SHOULD replace them. These vehicles are not bicycles.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
That is nice that you saved some $$.
I'll buy another brand and save a lot more $$$.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
You replaced them 3 years early. The G670's easily will go to 10 years.
And rivering doesn't hurt ride or cause any problem.

You replaced tires that have a 7 year sidewall cracking warranty. For tires that have 0 warranty on sidewall cracking.

Let us know in 7 years how that worked out for you.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am