cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Buying a Used Class A - Have Questions.

petecory
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone New to Class A's and also to the forums.

I am Currently looking at Used Class As and have really like the looks and layout of the 2001 Winnebago Adventures. I have looked at one so far and wanted to see if there are any problem areas with this make and model I should be on the look out for. I have been reading through the Used buyers post on here and plan to go through that when I go to take a deeper look at the MH.

The one I am currently looking at is on the Ford Chassis, I know it needs new tires as the current tires are from 2006 and the in dash AC is only blowing hot air.

Thank You in advance and I can't wait to start my RV life!
14 REPLIES 14

petecory
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

I wasn't aware that a 1998 even had the V10, so what year did they quit with the 460 cu in V8?

From what I have been reading, the 1998 Bounder was built on two different Ford chassis, it was built on the 1997 Ford v8 and also on the 1999 Ford V10. I was happy to find that they had the V10 especially with this being the 37 footer, I feel the v8 would just not have the power needed. I may be completely wrong, but the v10 sure won't hurt and from what I understand the MPG is pretty close to the same.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
petecory wrote:
After looking at several RVs we ended up buying one from the wife's parents. They decided to sell it and we came out with a good deal on it. And it has been in the family the whole time. We ended up picking up a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder - 37 footer. It is the Ford V10 and is in really good shape for a 1998, based off the others we have looked at in the age range. Even has a Good Sam extended warranty on it!

Thank you all for the input on the Winnebago!

-Cory

I wasn't aware that a 1998 even had the V10, so what year did they quit with the 460 cu in V8?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Ford V-10 has issues with spark plugs breaking off when trying to be replaced. Best to have current owner do tune-up including spark plugs.
Appliances are always issues on some rigs. make sure they all work.
Dash air is an issue but isn't that costly normally to fix. Have current owner get it done by a shop.

They don't break off!!!! The problem is there is only 4 threads on those early V-10's and the plugs and or heads strip easily. Rare, but they do.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

petecory
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at several RVs we ended up buying one from the wife's parents. They decided to sell it and we came out with a good deal on it. And it has been in the family the whole time. We ended up picking up a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder - 37 footer. It is the Ford V10 and is in really good shape for a 1998, based off the others we have looked at in the age range. Even has a Good Sam extended warranty on it!

Thank you all for the input on the Winnebago!

-Cory

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
just info. If yo run the AC then you going to get very close to 45% humidity by the nature of the A/C system and running a dehumidifier will not work. The dehumidifier would have to be way larger than the A/C system.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I would count on you wanting to add Hush Mat or some other high temperature heat and sound shielding. The V10 units can get very loud. The shield will also help with heat. Dash AC is a challenge if you use the roof AC to cool the coach and remove the humidity then properly running dash AC may be able to keep up. The F53 units only have a 80 gallon fuel tank so running the generator will further reduce your range. Humidity is your enemy so keep the windows closed and consider installing a mechanical dehumidifier. Try to keep the humidity inside at less than 35% RH.
FMCA member

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! Your dash air is not necessary because it won't keep you cool anyway. Run the generator and the house air conditioner. Don't worry about the spark plugs because they should be good for about 100,000 miles if your engine is healthy. Change them if you get a misfire which should send a check engine code to the ECM. Sucking water through the air filter during heavy rain can be a problem. I have the Banks air intake system and had to raise the intake duct for the air cleaner to keep from sucking in water.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
Check the air filter. If it a round one with a hose/breather going down toward the ground, these are a problem in heavy rain and they suck in water. Had that problem with my 2003 F-53 chassis Ford fixed it in 04, but it was a pain.
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MR MAC wrote:
I took my 2002 Ford V10 in for new spark plugs, cost est. was $300, service mgr. said the V10's do not brake off, but the V8's can be a problem. They have to work V8 plugs back and forth with 30 lbs. of torque to remove then. The cost for the V8 was $500.

I have a 03 F-150 with the 5.4 liter V8. It has less than 50K miles on it and will probably die along with me, having the original plugs.
They certainly will never be changed, unless one goes bad and begins to misfire, that's for sure.
As for replacement costs, it's ridiculous and only because they want paid ahead of time for all the jobs and just in case they do break one, once in a while.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
petecory wrote:
Hello Everyone New to Class A's and also to the forums.

I am Currently looking at Used Class As and have really like the looks and layout of the 2001 Winnebago Adventures. I have looked at one so far and wanted to see if there are any problem areas with this make and model I should be on the look out for. I have been reading through the Used buyers post on here and plan to go through that when I go to take a deeper look at the MH.

The one I am currently looking at is on the Ford Chassis, I know it needs new tires as the current tires are from 2006 and the in dash AC is only blowing hot air.

Thank You in advance and I can't wait to start my RV life!

Sounds OK, if it's pretty much right and it is new enough (just barely) to have some engine power with the little V10. Dash AC's are prone to blowing hot air and if not today, then tomorrow. Best thing is to forget it, rather than waste your money on it and run the roof air, as they won't properly cool a coach anyway. In fact, I'd give a few bucks more for one that had been properly removed and more engine cooling put in it's place. As for the rest of it, they all have their quirks and don't know of any real deal breakers with the one you've chosen.

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 2002 Ford V10 in for new spark plugs, cost est. was $300, service mgr. said the V10's do not brake off, but the V8's can be a problem. They have to work V8 plugs back and forth with 30 lbs. of torque to remove then. The cost for the V8 was $500.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
The F-53 Chassis is the one that had the spark plug issues, it seems there were not enough threads in the head and the spark plug only had like 2 or 3 threads to hold.
The no dash air is a very common problem with the F-53 chassis too, on mine the metering device was bad, not a hard fix but you have to open the system to replace it, that means pulling a deep vacuum before adding Freon. Most of the folks I know choose to run the generator and the AC unit on the roof instead of the dash air. Better cooling, more even, and cools the entire coach instead of just the drivers area.
Another common problem with the F-53 chassis is they ride like a truck. At least mine did. Even after new shocks, new tires, etc it was still a dog rough ride.
As far as dependability though, the V-10 is hard to beat. But that goes for a lot of other engines too. You will wear out the coach long before you ever wear out an engine.
Just my .02 worth.
Good Luck

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ford V-10 has issues with spark plugs breaking off when trying to be replaced. Best to have current owner do tune-up including spark plugs.
Appliances are always issues on some rigs. make sure they all work.
Dash air is an issue but isn't that costly normally to fix. Have current owner get it done by a shop.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
The a/c is a big issue. If just freon no to bad, but if compressor then big dollars. That would be something they need to fix. Tires are tires and have to be replace as needed. I have a 99 Newmar on a ford and have had no issue with it but that one is a newer engine.