Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie class A owner, time for tires

Useroverdrive
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I have a new to me 1989 28' Mallard Sprinter, P-30, 454, auto, 49500

miles that has bridgestone LT215 85R16 tires all the way around.

They look like they're right off the showroom floor.

I bought the mh march of 2013 and drove 200 miles home after buying

it. I checked the DOT info on one of the steer tires and it shows a

manufacturing date of oct 2002. Once I confirm the other tires mfg

dates, I will be looking to replace all of them I'm sure.

Can a few members give me some tire recomendations? I want to replace

the tires with the same size LT 215 85R 16's but want to know some

company names/model numbers to research.

Many thanks in advance,

DS
10 REPLIES 10

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Michelin. Buy a quality tire of any brand and you should be OK. I bought some cheaper brand once and they didn't last very long at all.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is true. It depends on what your RV needs and your rim width. I run max pressure to compensate for the softer sidewall. Even running max pressure, the ride is softer than steel. On a 28 foot coach, it probably doesn't handle that bad to begin with.

Of course if you wanted to, you could go to a 17 inch wheel. It would give you several improvements. You would loose unsprung weight, both in switching to an aluminum rim, as well a a nylon tire is lighter. Softer sidewall would improve ride, 17 inch would improve handling. All it takes is dollars.
IRV2

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons that I recommended all steel carcass tires for your application is the very tall side walls of the 85 series tires. Fabric cord tires will flex more and make you driving experience less than optimal. I had a set of 16" Coopers on my MH and the side wall flex was more than I was willing to deal with. Other will tell you that they can't tell the difference and I believe them. I can.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Useroverdrive
Explorer
Explorer
I checked on the xps tires and they do have my size.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Michelin XPS Ribs but don't know if they come in your size.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forum!!!

FMCA offers a pretty good discount on Michelins. I run Michelins on the steer and Goodyears on the drive and tag. Check out their prices.

My opinion is never buy tires based on price alone. Your safety, your family's safety and those who share the road with you depend on you making the smartest choice when purchasing tires. Personally, I like Michelins and Goodyears because I've visited the tracks where they do their testing and it was pretty impressive. Some folks like Hankooks, Toyos and even Double Coin....to each his own....Michelins and Goodyears are the only tires formulated for RVs. The others are truck tires...your choice....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running Firestone Transforce for about 8 years now (multiple sets). They are nylon belted, which I have no problem with. I see no advantage with steel belts, and nylon tends to run cooler, which means a higher speed rating. Rubber bonds much better to nylon than it does to steel, so you tend to have less problems with tread separation - a common complaint on RV tires. Experience has shown that road hazards seem to still penetrate steel belts anyway, so I'm not sure what good it does.
IRV2

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
HANKOOK. I'll buy them again. They're good tires.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, an all steel carcase tire is desirable on older chassis using 16" tires. Both Michelin (XPS) and Bridgestone (R250) make such a tire. Both are pricey tires. Ford used the Michelin XPS as OEM on their F53 chassis from 1988-1997.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Mississippi
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO - Top line Michelin; Mid line Toyo. Michelin offer softer ride, Toyo is lower price and still a good tire.
S. Keith Winfield,CPA
Carol Winfield, copilot
2013 Entegra Coach - Anthem 42RBQ
Ford F150 Crew Cab