cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer floorplan designs

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is insulted or otherwise taken aback by this, my apologies. DW and I go to the Atlanta RV show every year to check out new designs and pre-shop for when our old Bounder may go belly up. For the past few years I have noticed a design trend that seems to be mostly prevalent in mid to high range coaches. Is it necessary to have as many as five large TV sets in a living space as small as a class A RV? It almost seems that the designers are trying to see that you can always touch one TV from another. The particular locations of some of the sets is another discussion. Are there any "amens" or "grrr...you are wrongs"?
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad
25 REPLIES 25

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
One TV is enough for us in the living room to watch the Oakland Raiders during football season. We have one in the bedroom that we don't use due to the fact that is our quiet place, but we did use it when our grandkids came over. I don't like outside storage bay TV's that I can hear and don't want too!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
They are trying to appeal to a new buyer. More people are addicted to their TV, and if you are to get them out of the house, you have to provide everything from the house they think they need. Since the days of three broadcast networks, there have been people who needed to be watching at least three TVs at a time. Several of these people have lived in the White House.

I'm one who can do with zero TVs, but I'm often using two or more computers at once, have been for 35 years.

I had no idea George Bush was addicted to TV. Are you sure?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I love our TV's and especially our dvr's that allow us to record what we like and watch without ads. We also enjoy many sports and record those as well. By recording we are not slaves to any time schedule. I do watch some news and weather. For us it is all entertainment which we control. Of course we enjoy going to a good film from time to time as well and the big screen including Imax is best for some. I do like the TV in the middle of the lounge area and not at ends. Really allows for a much more efficient and home like arrangement for us.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
You'll get a definite Amen from me. They put three large screen TVs inside our coach, one large screen outside and two DVD players in the bunks. I very rarely watch any of them and I discourage the kids from watching as well.

The only good news is that TVs have gotten slimmer.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we bought our motorhome new we immediately took out the bedroom TV and sold it.

We used the living area one for renting movies, not watching TV.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
My 14 Itasca came with three, one outside which has never been even turned on, one in the bedroom which will only pick up local, so have only used it once, and the primary which is mid ship. As much time as I spend at the front dinette, I'm tempted to have a small flat screen installed over the dash.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Amen! Our TT had a space for a flat screen, but only last year (our 2nd season in the trailer) did we put one in. When we bought the TT, we opted not to have the TV (biggest reason: their cost vs. walmart!). Point is, we have 1, only need 1. BTW: our house has only 1 as well. Yes, the kids complain after a trip to their friends house, but they can call Dad cheap all they want. Truth is it is not about being cheap but being reasonable...we just don't need more than 1.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
ummmmmm, what's a TV ??...we don't have one in the class C and don't want one!...now if we were fulltiming we would have ONE!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We had in motion DTV installed in our first coach and was such a waste of money. I think in a year we used it about 3x. We rarely watch TV when camping or travelling. My 11 year old son is actually against it unless he's watching a moving on a long travel day. What I have noticed in newer models is TV placement is bad in a lot of cases. To each his own. They seem to be responding to buyers so I would imagine the majority like all the TV's. That and they are so cheap now and more functional than the wall art that usually appeals to no one but the designer at the factory.
2013 ACE 29.2

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:
Okay, I've looked at quite a few new RV's lately and I've never seen five "large" TV's in the living area. I've seen the trend of having two with one over the dash and then one back in the living area, but never five in the living room area. Are you looking at tour buses or something?

I believe the OP is talking about the entire RV when writing "living area". The bedroom, living room, cab area, outside compartment, etc., not just the living room area.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, I've looked at quite a few new RV's lately and I've never seen five "large" TV's in the living area. I've seen the trend of having two with one over the dash and then one back in the living area, but never five in the living room area. Are you looking at tour buses or something?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are trying to appeal to a new buyer. More people are addicted to their TV, and if you are to get them out of the house, you have to provide everything from the house they think they need. Since the days of three broadcast networks, there have been people who needed to be watching at least three TVs at a time. Several of these people have lived in the White House.

I'm one who can do with zero TVs, but I'm often using two or more computers at once, have been for 35 years.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason for so many TVs in new RVs is that they may be cheaper than any other type of wall covering except paint.

We are down to one nice quality TV that is at eye level in the living room. That is all we need. My wife and I spend much more time on our computers, iPads, smartphones than TV. The space where the bedroom TV used to reside is now a covered cabinet we store blankets in.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
For those who don't like all the TV's in these new coaches, you're going to really hate that they took out all the cigarette lighter plugs and installed USB ports! :B
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab