cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer gas class A ride quality

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So in the process of looking for a new gas class A I was thinking about ride quality. I`ve read that some ride harsher than others (everything we are looking at is a Ford Chassis). I know the older ones can ride hard. just wondering what some of you felt about the ride.

BTW, I we really like the Forest River Georgetown with the bunk slide, (probably the 3 slide model).

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
27 REPLIES 27

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
We don't really camp anymore we rv big difference. Our04 Allegro Bay on workhorse was a good drive on flat and through the mountains. Our new 13 Allegro on a ford is a good drive on flat, less porposing than the 04. I was worried about the mountains, pulling our toad, but 2 weeks ago we went north on I 26, I 40 and I 75 it handled them well and yesterday we came back from up north down the 6 and 7% grades just fine. I liked the Allison tranny better, but the Ford did just fine.Fuel mileage might be a little better with the Ford, but its hard to tell. Both coaches were Tiffin both had good quality. One tv was enough in our 89 Coachman, two tvs were better with our kids, 4 tvs is definately overkill with just the two of us.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
I am very impressed with our new class a.
Our '02 c seemed to get pushed around more, got very hot in the cabin from the engine bay, and was not near as quiet. The difference in power between the two is also pretty dramatic going to the favor of the heavier, but newer, class a V10.
We kept our tires at 70 psi on the c and 100 psi on our a, fwiw.
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

Hbrown
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Would that be through a Ford dealer?
Harry and Marilyn
Murphy, NC

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Doug156 wrote:
I've had two class A's, both Fords. The older one (2003) was a rough ride and a fight to drive. My 2014 is a dream to drive, smooth, less engine noise and with the better transmission. I would not hesitate to recommend the newer Fords.

That said, make sure to test drive a few and see for yourself.. Good luck

x2
Our first was 2004 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS (36') and current is in sig. The Tiffin is miles above the Aurora was.

I think this is for a few reasons. Better chassis construction over 10 years ago. The Tow/haul tranny assist is great for engine braking in the mountains. Tiffin also does 'Dynamat' style insulation (Aurora did not have this) from bow to stern, which reduces noise and heat/cold transfer.

A key to my thinking here is to look at each class of gasser. Yes, there are different levels and some different levels within a mfgr. Not all gassers are equal. I believe Tiffin and Newmar make great products.

Happy hunting.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a modification to increase the tension/stiffness on your anti-sway bar. That may be the first action you take and certainly the cheapest.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
CHP = Cheap Handling Fix
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hbrown wrote:
Suggestions would be appreciated. We purchased a 2012 Allegro 34TGA and did so from an individual in FL. So, the test drive was benign on flat roads. Since then we have taken it to and through a lot of curvy roads and it sways like crazy. Tire pressure is where it needs to be. It is a Ford V10. What can I do to improve handling and where should I go to do it?

Thanks,

CHF
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Hbrown
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions would be appreciated. We purchased a 2012 Allegro 34TGA and did so from an individual in FL. So, the test drive was benign on flat roads. Since then we have taken it to and through a lot of curvy roads and it sways like crazy. Tire pressure is where it needs to be. It is a Ford V10. What can I do to improve handling and where should I go to do it?

Thanks,
Harry and Marilyn
Murphy, NC

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2004 Winnebago with a Workhorse chassis, Allison Trans and a big block Chevy engine. I put new Bilstein Shocks on last year and they really smoothed out the ride. I had a set of Monroe Shocks on before the Bilsteins and they were not doing the job. I get a slightly rougher ride with my coach do to I run higher tire pressures on my coach.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Georgetown with the bunks and two slides. I love the new Ford engine and have no complaints about the ride and handling. The coach handled much better after I increased the tire pressure to the recommended 92 psi vs the 78 psi it was set at upon delivery. I also did the CHF which made a lot of difference in the handling as well. DW was amazed at how well this MH handles compared to our old one. Getting pushed around by passing trucks is almost nonexistent.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted a lot about ride. Generally I want soft but stable. My 2015 on 2014 chassis is better than others. Quieter and tranny is smoother. I have learned that tire pressure is first thing to get right. Then change out the stiff Bilsteins. I prefer Koni FSD. My experience is to get something big enough it has the larger tires 22 inch. Rear trac bars make a difference and steering stabilizers are nice. I have gone the full distance twice with Kelderman Air Ride which I recommend if you are willing to spend the money. I prefer the gas coach so am willing to put some of the money saved by not doing DP into ride and handling mods. I have learned that most new coaches in test drive have over inflated tires.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2005 Workhorse rides (or rather road once and will again) nice but personally I like a stiffer suspension (rougher ride) because it gives me more control over the vehicle. That said, to each his own.

In many cases you can "Adjust" the ride by changing shocks, and improve the drive by adding add-ons like Trac bars, stabilizers and even sway bars on many RVs I did the first two. made a BIG!!! difference.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two class A's, both Fords. The older one (2003) was a rough ride and a fight to drive. My 2014 is a dream to drive, smooth, less engine noise and with the better transmission. I would not hesitate to recommend the newer Fords.

That said, make sure to test drive a few and see for yourself.. Good luck
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it