cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No foreign cars with automatic are towable 4 down this year

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at the 2015 Dinghy Guide and noted that there are no foreign cars with automatic transmissions that are towable 4 down in the model year 2015.

The American brands seem to be dominating this category with Ford and Chevy having lots of choices. I noticed that Jeep only has one car with automatic transmission capable of being towed 4 down. This was a big surprise to me.

Finally, most of the cars with automatic transmissions are a bit heavier than ideal for towing.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
30 REPLIES 30

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I believe you are correct. It's not that Jeep only has one vehicle towable four-down, it's that they only have one auto-tranny that's towable four-down and it's available in all their vehicles.

The Cherokee has a 9-speed ZF automatic transmission that is not available on any other Jeep model, and is towable four down.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
There is a good article in the July consumer report magazine about "made in America" cars with the most American parts are some models, not all, of cars by GM,Honda, and Toyota all tied at 75%. So some "American" cars have far fewer American parts than some "foreign" cars. Pretty interesting and informative article.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
I noticed that Jeep only has one car with automatic transmission capable of being towed 4 down. This was a big surprise to me.

I saw that the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Wrangler Unlimited are all towable with an automatic and no speed or mileage limitations. You just have to pay attention to which auto-transmission and four-wheel drive it has.

I believe you are correct. It's not that Jeep only has one vehicle towable four-down, it's that they only have one auto-tranny that's towable four-down and it's available in all their vehicles.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Buy American!!!
As a matter of fact, every motorized vehicle I own today is an American brand. Even the car I own in France is a Ford. But as someone else said, cars today have parts that come from all over the world and Nissan, BMW, Toyota and many other foreign brands are made or assembled in the US now. So I'm not exactly sure what "Buy American" even means today.

Which is exactly why Motor Trend no longer has separate COTY awards for domestic and import. The only question you have to ask yourself is where does the profit end up?

That's not the only question. Vehicles that are made in the US will benefit our Country far more than vehicles made in factories overseas, regardless of where the profit ends up. A Toyota factor in the US is far more beneficial to the US than a Chevy factory in Mexico. The vast majority of the money spent manufacturing cars goes out in employee payroll. That means income taxes in the US and employees spending that money in the US and far more benefits to the US than any factory in another Country regardless of who owns it.

A saw a bumper sticker on a Honda once that said, "My Honda was built in the USA, where was your Chevy built?"

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
I noticed that Jeep only has one car with automatic transmission capable of being towed 4 down. This was a big surprise to me.

I saw that the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Wrangler Unlimited are all towable with an automatic and no speed or mileage limitations. You just have to pay attention to which auto-transmission and four-wheel drive it has.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
There's still REMCO, making the list of potential toads a lot longer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

sure, what could go wrong?
bumpy

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Guide left out the Lincoln MKS that can be towed 4 down by the owners manual.
No change in the 2015 model over the 2014 model I am towing.
It was in the 2014 guide.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Buy American!!!
As a matter of fact, every motorized vehicle I own today is an American brand. Even the car I own in France is a Ford. But as someone else said, cars today have parts that come from all over the world and Nissan, BMW, Toyota and many other foreign brands are made or assembled in the US now. So I'm not exactly sure what "Buy American" even means today.

Which is exactly why Motor Trend no longer has separate COTY awards for domestic and import. The only question you have to ask yourself is where does the profit end up?
I would imagine that the "profits" end up all over the world. There are lots of profits in parts, assembly plants, manufacturing plants, sales commissions, service, banking and financing, advertising and thousands of other aspects of every car sold in the US and cars sold abroad with American parts. But that still doesn't make a car "American." I doubt there is a car sold in America today that doesn't share it's "profits" across the world to some degree.

I'm afraid there is no good definition for "American" car today. I'm not saying that's good or bad.
`

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a publicy traded Co. Could be your mutual fund.?
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Buy American!!!

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Buy American!!!
`

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I thought they were all foreign :@

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll keep the 'Lil Honda for as long as I can. If I were buying a tow vehicle today (from the Dingy towing guide), it would probably be the Jeep Cherokee 4WD as it weighs just shy of 4,000 lbs.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Buy American!!!
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Smart Car still has the original manual with automatic clutch available which is towed four down. They also have a new transmission which is automatic and I don't know if it can be towed. At first blush I say no.
Bob