cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSA Ready Brake Issue

rlaramore
Explorer
Explorer
Have been using a Ready Brake system to tow my jeep behind my class C and am ready to switch to something else. I am finding that when I am going around a curve in the road (not corner), like down a mountain pass, and apply the brakes in the motorhome the jeep does not brake at all. If I straighten out the motorhome/jeep it works fine. Its like its binding around corners. I know this is happening because my toad brake indicator light does not come on, and I can watch the brake controller with my rear camera and see it is mot moving. My tow bar setup is completely level and there is no play in the receiver going into the motorhome. I have talked with NSA and they tell me it won't work going around a corner, but should work going around curves in the road. Not a lot of help. Anyone else had this issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Ready Brake on my use to have Motor Home for years with out any problems. Towed a Ford Ranger with it. And I also had the indicator light inside the MH. The unit I had was the one that went in between the receiver and the tow bar itself. On one of my many trips I was going north on the 515 in Las Vegas taking an exit ramp onto the 215 going around kind on a curve and the traffic came to a stop right in front of me. I jumped on the brake pedal and just about put the MH sideways in the roadway. And yes the brake indicator light was on.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming that you have the Ready Brake that is not part of the tow bar.
There will be slack in the cable when the toad isn't in line with the motor home. I don't think there is any easy way to avoid that but you could try less slack in the cable. I added a cable guide at the pivot point (the hitch ball), and that helped quite a bit by keeping the cable from going slack when turning.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
No issues here - entering 3rd full season with ReadyBrute, already over 15K miles. Thinking the jeep is more the issue - meaning it is slowing down on its own so no need for ReadyBrute to engage. Have you tried to intentionally brake harder than usual on a downward grade corner to see if it will engage? Ready Brute really is a proportional braking system - only brakes when and as much as needed.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
I can’t recall having to brake very had if any going around a curve.

I usually do my braking before the curve and hold speed or accelerate through the curve.

I will stipulate that I have mine set loose so that it doesn’t activate on long downhills when the exhaust brake (DP) is doing all the work.

I don’t want the toad brakes dragging all the way down the grade, only when I use the service brake hard.

Good driving habits. I also use my tow /haul mode and apply my brakes to slow down to the speed i am looking for and then let the engine do the work.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can’t recall having to brake very had if any going around a curve.

I usually do my braking before the curve and hold speed or accelerate through the curve.

I will stipulate that I have mine set loose so that it doesn’t activate on long downhills when the exhaust brake (DP) is doing all the work.

I don’t want the toad brakes dragging all the way down the grade, only when I use the service brake hard.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rlaramore
Explorer
Explorer
Been using it for a year. Cable adjustment is fine and it slides in and out fine. Works great when I'm going straight. Can see that it's not sliding in when going around a curve with my rear camera.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the same set-up and haven't had an issue. Although I do not have the light to tell me the Jk is slowing down I can feel it. When I first got my system it would not activate. Their tech department had me push the plunger in a few times using a 2 by 4 to break loose any debris or weld/paint that may have been inside, it worked. Is your hitch sliding in and out ok. Could there possibly be some rust inside. The cable is adjusted ok?
As you know the whole idea behind this product is the weight of the vehicle pushing against the hitch (surge brakes) At an angle it seems like less force is being pushed directly against the hitch, maybe check that the lever is sliding completely in and out without restriction. How long have you been using this system.