cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil change at Lazy Days, Tampa and was overfilled

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
In mid January, we took our 2003 Monaco Diesel pusher to Lazy Days Rv, for new tires and an oil change. It has a Cummins 370 Isl engine.

We have had great service from them in the past and neglected to double check the dipstick before we left.

We drove back 30 miles to our rv park and parked the coach for a few weeks.

Prior to a trip hubby decided to check the oil and found the oil reading about 3-4 inches up from the full mark. (too much oil)

We called Lazy Days and were told it was ok to drive back and they would check it. They let it sit for over an hour, checked the oil and said the excess oil showing above the full mark was just where it ran from pulling the dipstick out. We argued but the service manager assured us it was normal. Hubby checks the oild regularly and has never seen it do that before.

We made a 200 mile round trip and everything was fine.

Yesterday, in preparation for another trip, hubby checked the oil after it sitting for weeks and the oil reading was still too high.

This time a warning light came one. It just said warning...nothing else.

I checked my engine fault code and i showed:

ENG PID 100 4 Engine Oil Pressure Low Voltage

We talked to Cummins and he felt sure it was due to the additional oil and that it probably just took a while for the excell oil to cause the problem.

Hubby was able to drain some oil but we don't know if that will correct the problem.

We're not sure what to do. Will the engine fault code clear if that was the problem, or does it have to be reset?

Do we take it to Lazy Days, or to Cummins?

Any advice?

We didn't start the engine last night after we drained some oil so we don't know if the warning light is gone or not. We wanted to give it some time to drain.
13 REPLIES 13

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
It happens because the always new Techs don't read or know how to find out.
Local Fright liner put 38 qts in and didn't drain the old 19 qts out,and lost the seal off the dipstick, and tore up the grill.
Total bill after all was done and said over four states was in excess 2,000.00, and paint damaged by Deming NM place that used a hard brush and Purple Power to clean off oil spray on the back of the coach. Oh and they didn't plug in thee coach when they kept it to change the oil and left on who knows what draining the batteries and causing a groceries in the refrigerator and freezer to ruin.
This was 2012 and no we didn't get even an apology.
Only time I've seen clean oil in a diesel. About 100qts total through the engine during the ordeal. New dipstick assembly new batteries rebuilt grill, and two or was it three oil changes.
We had been through too much already to fool with a Lawyer.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Never have any RV dealer service the chassis, gas or diesel, they are not trained in that department and probably don't even have the correct service manual for the chassis, take it to a certified chassis repair/service shop..

Many RV dealers cant even install the RV components correctly so why have them work on the chassis.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet the over filled condition caused the oil to get whipped with air, causing the oil pressure conditions after some driving. I also think it would have happened and less miles than 250
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I go to a mom and pop diesel shop that has been in business for years. They put in the exact amount of oil I give them, which I purchase at Sams. Everybody's happy.
2014 American Eagle

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Cummins.

If you're heading northwards there's Cummins Coach Care shops in Ocala and Jacksonville.
-jbh-

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It took 250 miles BEFORE you had the Fault. IF overfull was the cause, do you not think that it would happen BEFORE 250 miles??????? I would make the apt at Cummins and have them check it out. They have the Code reader and will be able to determine WHAT caused the Check/fault to come on. The code is stored in the computer. This is CHEAP piece on mind, while you are still in the area. What if they find a blown/leaking seal caused by the overfull condition? Doug

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
Klueck wrote:
In mid January, we took our 2003 Monaco Diesel pusher to Lazy Days Rv, for new tires and an oil change. It has a Cummins 370 Isl engine.

We have had great service from them in the past and neglected to double check the dipstick before we left.

We drove back 30 miles to our rv park and parked the coach for a few weeks.

Prior to a trip hubby decided to check the oil and found the oil reading about 3-4 inches up from the full mark. (too much oil)

We called Lazy Days and were told it was ok to drive back and they would check it. They let it sit for over an hour, checked the oil and said the excess oil showing above the full mark was just where it ran from pulling the dipstick out. We argued but the service manager assured us it was normal. Hubby checks the oild regularly and has never seen it do that before.

We made a 200 mile round trip and everything was fine.

Yesterday, in preparation for another trip, hubby checked the oil after it sitting for weeks and the oil reading was still too high.

This time a warning light came one. It just said warning...nothing else.

I checked my engine fault code and i showed:

ENG PID 100 4 Engine Oil Pressure Low Voltage

We talked to Cummins and he felt sure it was due to the additional oil and that it probably just took a while for the excell oil to cause the problem.

Hubby was able to drain some oil but we don't know if that will correct the problem.

We're not sure what to do. Will the engine fault code clear if that was the problem, or does it have to be reset?

Any advice?

We didn't start the engine last night after we drained some oil so we don't know if the warning light is gone or not. We wanted to give it some time to drain.

UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POST****************************

We started the engine this morning after draining some oil.

The warning light AND the engine code were both gone.
Cummins has no availability for two weeks. The coach is running fine at idle. We are thinking we are ok. Any thoughts?

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
We've been happy in the past with their service work, and I know you have too. With over 200 service bays, you know they are doing something right. They know you and your rig, I wouldn't hesitate to take it to them. Good luck!
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
It's always a good practice to check the work you had done prior to leaving the dealer. A local Ford dealer has screwed up 3 times in the past on a simple oil change, I now drive 20 miles to another to get it done right.

The oil change guy in almost any shop is the bottom of the totem pole. They usually aren't certified in anything automotive, and are entry-level minimum wage people with little true experience.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have drained it a bit myself. This sounds horrible and pessimistic, but I never trust people on stuff like that. When it completely conflicts your gut and it says "FULL" and the oil is way past, I would drain.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the (2) previous posts. Wouldn't let Lazy Days touch it on a bet. I would also go to the RV Service reviews website and leave a post on Lazy Days apparent ineptness.:R

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Doug. Why would you take it back to Lazy Days when you suspect they did the work improperly. I would find a good Cummins Coach Care shop and let them check it out.

An oil change is a pretty simple service task. If they can't get that right, I would not be using them for any service.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Which is the correct choice? You have no confidence in Lazy Days and they are NOT a real chassis expert. Cummins is. GO TO CUMMINS. I doubt excess oil would cause this type problem after driving 250 miles with no fault codes. BUT, you NEED am expert check out and cause and repair. Cummins is that source on a 14 year old engine. IF Cummins can state that overfull was the cause and they fix the problem. You then have the Ammunition to go to Lazy Days to get your money back for the Oil Change and demand that they pay for your current repair. Doug