cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old TV compartment, how did you upgrade?

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
In the pic below, you can see where the TV is. I took out the TV/DVD combo the previous owner had there, now I have a gaping hole I need to fix up. Any idea's? Maybe some of you have done an upgrade to an area like this? We have a 19" flat screen that we currently have in the MH closet. Simple enough to pull it out when needed, so I dont need a TV there.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
13 REPLIES 13

drewbtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
We started by removing the old tube tv, but left the "hood" that covered the back of the tv...

We then put in the new flat screen/DVD player on an articulating mount. We saved the door that used to be where the new tv is...

Built a shelf and cabinet for storage as well as having a hidden spot for additional 12 volt plugs for the GPS, XM, Cell Phone, iPad, etc using the door that was removed from above.

And yes we changed out the chairs and made a new table for between the seats along the way.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind
F-53 Chassis, F-460 Updated Interior 240K+ miles

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
We removed the old TV and left the space open for now....well, we put up a small curtain to cover the gaping hole. Inside, we put a small file box to hold important papers. I also mounted a Battery Tender trickle charger that plugs into the old TV outlet. It's energized when plugged into shore power so the chassis battery gets a maintenance charge when the coach is sitting in the driveway. But when the engine is running traveling down the road, the outlet is not energized even with the genset running....I guess to keep the TV from being a safety distraction when driving.....so the trickle charger is not competing with the alternator. I'll eventually get to building a shelf set for that hole that will look a bit more finished.

For the replacement TV, I hung it on the new shelving unit I built to fill in the hole where the jack-knife sofa used to be in the slide. Works great and is about half the weight of the old furniture and the old TV set.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I removed these two heavy TVs and VCR

Cut down the front TV cabinet and installed this

For the bedroom, I had to add a filler

I don't watch a lot of TV but removed a lot of weight and have new storage available.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like it Stallion!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Stallion, I've thought of something similar to yours.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

stallion143
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the old tube type tv and made a shelving system to relace it. I like having extra places to hold remotes, etc. I installed a 43" LCD smart tv in the overhead cabinet just behind the passenger seat. Used a MorRyde bracket that lets the tv pullout and swivel.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Jim.....You can do all kinds of things. Is it a wood enclosure or plastic. I know some used plastic to match the dash. Either way, I would build a door to cover the opening. If it's a plastic opening, build a wood door and cover with black speaker material or something similar.

Once you figure out the material, then deiced what you want to do with the inside. Obviously, it would be a good storage spot. If you make the door hinge at the top and open upward like many upper cabinets, you can put an arm on it to hold the door open where it's level and then set the TV you have on top of it. Make all the connections inside the opening, maybe even install a DVD player inside the opening.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
We put in an electric fireplace in the hole and set 32" flat screen on dash when parked and store in bedroom when driving.

That's a neat idea, I'll have to look into that one.
Only other thing I could think of was maybe some storage pocket/shelves of some sort ( for sun glass, phone, ect.)Maybe a wall mount stereo/blu-ray combo of sorts.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Original tv had been in a cabinet over the dash. The previous owner had moved to a flat screen mounted on back wall next to the dinette which works very well. I got tired of the big space over the dash so I cut it down to match the other cabinets. So I now have a wall mounted tv and a nice storage area over the dash and a wide open windshield area.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Similar set up in our Southwind. We put in an electric fireplace in the hole and set 32" flat screen on dash when parked and store in bedroom when driving.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Jim, I bought my coach new in 2004 and I'm ready for the same upgrade! The Sony TV that's in there must weigh 1,000 lbs. anyway when, I removing mine next year, I'm going to have a flat screen put in by a carpenter. That way any modifications can be taking care of and the wood can be matched up closely if need be.

well maybe 35 lbs its not that big that's a very poor spot for a led tv but easy to mount and no real wood changes are required
I would find a nicer place to mount a bigger tv but no doubt the existing spot works for some

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a cabinet maker build a new front, put it on a hidden hinge then put our computer printer behind it with a wireless modem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, I bought my coach new in 2004 and I'm ready for the same upgrade! The Sony TV that's in there must weigh 1,000 lbs. anyway when, I removing mine next year, I'm going to have a flat screen put in by a carpenter. That way any modifications can be taking care of and the wood can be matched up closely if need be.