cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Board Generator will not come on !

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
Dear husband feels our on board generator is locked up. It will not engage. Have any had this happen and how costly ? We have appt. to carry to shop this coming week.
Drive Class C four winds siesta 2007.
Thank you. I am afraid our camping budget is about to hit rock bottom. Wish I had gotten warranty thru Good Sam. Hindsight!!!!
11 REPLIES 11

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info , one persons interpretation of locked up means it won't turn over another it is it won't start.
When he tried the start button to start it , did it do absolutely nothing, just clicked or cranked over and didn't start ?
How long has it been since the MH was last used , is the battery/ies charged up.
Fuel tank at least 3/4 full, all breakers/fuses ok . Oil level in Gen ok

Like others have stated do all the basic checks yourself that you feel you can do.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Campncouple wrote:
Dear husband feels our on board generator is locked up. It will not engage. Have any had this happen and how costly ? We have appt. to carry to shop this coming week.
Drive Class C four winds siesta 2007.
Thank you. I am afraid our camping budget is about to hit rock bottom. Wish I had gotten warranty thru Good Sam. Hindsight!!!!

Has he tried starting it with the start switch on the generator, or just with the remote switch in the MH ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
On occasion ours would not start till the rv was started once the rv was running the generator started no problem

Your problem sounds like the house battery was too run down to start the generator, without a boost from the MH engine.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
On occasion ours would not start till the rv was started once the rv was running the generator started no problem
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
there is a breaker switch that can trip and gen will crank but not start. just inside gen cover panel by oil fill plug and looks like a light switch.

but i too am not sure what you meant by 'locked up'.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

BobK53
Explorer
Explorer
In our Jayco Greyhawk 31FK the Onan generator quit working and would not start about a year ago. We tried everything that I could think of, but it would not start. We took it to an RV repair place. They had to drop the generator from the RV to find that some rats had nested on top of the generator. They had chewed through the electrical wires.
We live in southern Louisiana, at the edge of the Atchafalaya basin. When it rains everything is standing water. The rats, from the nearby sugarcane field were looking for a dry spot. Now I start the generator every week and let run for just a couple of minutes to discourage any freeloaders. Probably not your problem, but it can happen. The repair cost $900.00.
Sometime after the generator ordeal wind came up while in an RV Park in San Marcos, Texas. It caught the awning and destroyed the forward support arm. That cost $1,200.00. There was no wind prior to what caught the awning.
Bob Keeland and Joy Young
Arnaudville,Louisiana
2011 Jayco Grethawk 31FK

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

A word of warning - make sure anyone inside the RV knows not to touch the remote start button while you have your arm inside the generator box.

I'd also disconnect the spark plug(s). Last thing you want to do is manually crank over the engine like and old Model T!
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure your oil is not low, Onan's have a low oil shut off circuit. If your oil is low it will not crank. Yup had it happen once.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We had our Onan seize up one time after I made the mistake of stopping the generator without letting it run for a few minutes to cool down after removing the load (air conditioner). The next time we tried to start it, it wouldn't crank.

I removed the generator access panel and reached in to see if I could turn the cooling fan. Yep, it was seized. Fortunately, I had a 3/8" socket set and the right size socket to fit the bolt on the fan. That broke it loose and it has started fine since.

A word of warning - make sure anyone inside the RV knows not to touch the remote start button while you have your arm inside the generator box.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

ronfisherman
Bad, loose or dirty battery connections would be first thing I would check.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
need to check battery connections, and by locked up do you mean you can not turn it by hand? find some one close with a bit of knowledge to help you. could be a very simple thing. if your fuel tank is below a quarter of a tank it won,t run.