cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open alcohol containers

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
In many states, it is illegal to carry open alcoholic beverage containers in motor vehicles. Does this apply to RV's? We'd like to carry the vino in the notch in the front door.
25 REPLIES 25

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
They will search everywhere.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
CTD wrote:
Good suggestions and we will make sure our alcoholic beverages remain behind the front seats. I assume it's OK to carry a sealed bottle in the passenger side door pocket.

why would you want to do that? IMHO it is just asking for trouble.
the term common sense was used in this thread, follow it.
bumpy

CTD
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions and we will make sure our alcoholic beverages remain behind the front seats. I assume it's OK to carry a sealed bottle in the passenger side door pocket.
2012 Roadtrek Agile

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I keep our wine and whiskey in their parking spots under the sink in the galley. That is NOT in the passenger compartment by any stretch of anybodys imagination including in SoCal. It would be patently obvious to any police officer that an RV is for touring and camping and when the campsite is set up you have a drink or three before dinner. If I am entering the US I never bring booze as it is CHEAPER there and I don't bring fresh fruits or veggies or meats either--they are also cheaper Stateside, I do carry the stuff though when touring around. I would challenge any ticket received for having alcohol in an rv in the LIVING quarters which is behind the CAB. Having an alcoholic drink up front in the door pocket etc is simply asking for trouble. IMHO

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
CTD wrote:
We use our Roadtrek to transport me wherever we go, I have to lay down due to an injury. When we go out to dinner (yes, I stand at the high tables) there is always a half bottle of wine left over. We put it in a bag, then stuff it in the passenger side, door pocket to keep it from flying all over in stops. Now reading this thread, there is NO where in the van we can legally put it. We live in Calif. Crazy.

Roadtreks have a fridge. Put it in there. It doesn't have to be on.

Definitely keep the hooch out of the cab and driver areas.

CTD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the offer of help getting rid of the wine! ๐Ÿ™‚ We wouldn't intentionally violate the law and we want to comply if reasonably feasible. I can see where the passenger side door pocket maybe a touchy area, so we might try the closet idea or just try common sense.
2012 Roadtrek Agile

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I did make a mistake on the above thread. It used to be that hearses were exempt from the open container law as well, as long as it is kept behind the driver/passenger, but I doublechecked the Texas law, and that exception isn't present.

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have been doing to carry up to 6 bottles, opened or not, with a minimum risk of spilling. I use a cloth shopping bag for bottles (a cloth shopping bag with cloth dividers that you can buy in some liquor stores). I put the bottles in the bag and hang the bag from the rod in the closet behind the driver. I set up the length of the rope used to hang the bag so that the bottom the bag just touches the floor (prevent swinging and minimize the weight on the rod). There is always enough coats and jackets in the closet to protect the bag and bottles.
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Just let me know where dinner is and I will handle the left over wine so you don't have to transport it :B We carry open containers in the house part of the MH all the time. I don't think an officer is going to be comfortable with having an open container near the driver or passenger seats but in the back I doubt there will be a problem.

I have been on many trips where the passengers are quit buzzed when we reach our destination and entered the coach sober. Always keep it in the back and always have two sober drivers in case of emergency.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I think You will be ok.

CTD
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has one glass of wine, then dinner, that's why we have a half bottle plus left over. No buzz driving, and we're sure not about to tell the cop we have anything on board. In the interest of caution, we will transport the bottle in a laundry basket wrapped in a towel back on the bed. Of course that's where I'm laying down so here is the open container by me! We don't have outside storage but I guess we could pull a utility trailer? ๐Ÿ™‚ Now we have an open container in public! Geez.
2012 Roadtrek Agile

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Section 23226.CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

(a) It is unlawful for any driver to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(b) It is unlawful for any passenger to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.
[COLOR=]
(c) This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
California, since a RV doesn't have a partition (like some cargo vans), alcohol is illegal in any part of the van.

That thread you quote is quite a piece of work. :h

But, I don't think your summary is correct. The thread I cited has a message that quotes the relevant CA statute, which explicitly says that "This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper."

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22703994/srt/pd/pging/1/page/3.cfm

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
If you are really concerned you could put it in an outside storage space, assuming you have one.
Wayne