cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint checking - What years

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided that it is time to upgrade. A lot of the coaches that we are looking at are perfect other than the paint checking found on so many older coaches. My question - is there a specific time frame they used the paint that succumbs to checking? We have been mainly looking at Beaver and Monaco products.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.
34 REPLIES 34

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
I had a checking problem along the roof radius line on the side that gets the most sun when parked at our house. It seems to b a problem with some 08 Monacos and HRs with full body paint. The clear coat started peeling off like it was sun=burnt skin. I was told by the body shop that repaired it that clear paint and pigmented paint expands and contracts with temp changes at different rates so they separate over time. The darker the paint the worse it can get...you see this with a lot of black cars.

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
Well, FWIW, we went and looked at a 2009 American Allegiance today. I think we are looking to go a little more up than this one with our upgrade. However, point of this post is...it was a 2009 and had paint checking all over. So...I guess the problem wasn't completely solved by the 2009 model run. Shoot!
Michael

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
Steve and Sally, you have a Newmar and Newmar is replacing the sidewalls and repainting for significantly less than $30K. If the checking is an issue for you, I would give them a call.

Thanks for the tips but my quote was from Newmar. We purchased our coach used. It was a one owner coach and it was traded in back to it's original dealership from which we ended up purchasing it. After getting home and going thru all the paperwork, I believe the factory and dealership had this coach more than the owners. It was overwhelming going over the work orders and some of the things that the owners were requesting repaired. I mean simple things that were probably driving Newmar nuts. I believe this coach is targeted at the factory and they don't want to see it again. I called to get a quote on the upper front nose to be painted and cleared as it's peeling again. Quote $3300. :E (it had been painted at the factory before along with some other areas). I thought that was crazy. Another call for something else the same treatment. It's OK with me because overall this coach has been GREAT. We for sure don't regret owning it at all and have enjoyed the 8 years we've owned it. As said though thanks for the tip and even if it was 1/2 that much being a gas rig I doubt I'd recoup what I would have to pay. Thanks!
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve and Sally, you have a Newmar and Newmar is replacing the sidewalls and repainting for significantly less than $30K. If the checking is an issue for you, I would give them a call.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
LongWeekends wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. So I guess I am still looking to see when this became an issue and what year it resolved for the various manufacturers. Is this info available?

From what I've read about the subject, anywhere between 2003 to 2008. This involved the fiberglass panels that were used from a certain manufacturer. It had nothing to do with the paint applied outside of the darker colors creating the problem sooner than the lighter colors. The surface temp on the panels is what creates the checking situation. It's strictly a cosmetic condition and you could have possibly have the sidewall sections replaced, that is if your wallet is thick enough. Ours would cost $30K for a re-skin and full body paint. NOT!
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"tooltime"....The transition from lacquer to water base was the cause of some of the clear coat issues, but the cracking/crazing was a fiberglass issue.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
The issue was across many manufacturers since many of them used the same siding material. I have seen it on many, many makes and models.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
toolttime wrote:
The new one now use a water based paints and don't have the problems.

It wasn't the paint, its the fiberglass.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
The new one now use a water based paints and don't have the problems.
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
The black on my 2008 Tiffin and the clear coat are both issues. it is stored outside. And the side that faces the afternoon sun is much worse than the other side.

And realize there are different quality paints and clear coats. You can buy clearcoat for $150 a quart. You can also spend $600 a quart. There is huge difference in the quality of products.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys again for all the replies. Was this issue pretty standard across all manufacturers or did some have a fiberglass process that avoided the checking problem?
Michael

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
imgoin4it wrote:
The small fibers in the fiberglass siding material releases, comes loose and raises from the panel. When it is under a painted surface it raises the paint, slightly at first which causes the bumps that one can see when looking at the paint in the right light and at an angle. Eventually the tiny fiber may break out of the paint and cause a slight "chip". Sanding and repainting is a temporary fix because it will just occur again. Sun and heat speeds up the process. People in the industry believe the checking or etching problems were solved with the 2009 models
Sounds like what you are describing is a side wall made out of chopped fibers that are close to the surface with very little or no gelcoat. I can see a continuous long fibers in my 1996 side wall(polyester resin) right on the surface, but no checking as described. Do you know what the Mfg's changed in their laminating process to fix this problem?

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
The small fibers in the fiberglass siding material releases, comes loose and raises from the panel. When it is under a painted surface it raises the paint, slightly at first which causes the bumps that one can see when looking at the paint in the right light and at an angle. Eventually the tiny fiber may break out of the paint and cause a slight "chip". Sanding and repainting is a temporary fix because it will just occur again. Sun and heat speeds up the process. People in the industry believe the checking or etching problems were solved with the 2009 models
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am still trying to understand this checking issue. Those of you that say it is caused by the fiberglass how does it cause the checking? Is there something on the surface that the paint does not adhere well to or is it the difference in expansion of the fiberglass and paint? or something else?