cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pantry door flys open in transit

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
I have the kind of pantry with the wire baskets that run in tracks. My pantry door flew open twice yesterday when driving a winding mountainous road. This has never happened before and it is dangerous when the baskets come flying out of those rails. Any suuggestions on keeping that from happening again? I wonder if there is a way to secure the baskets themselves while in transit? BTW yes, the door was securely closed both times.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N
18 REPLIES 18

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
crimmps49 wrote:
We use the child locks for cabinet doors. They work great!

X2
Tuba Pete

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our HR had that problem. It had latches at the bottom but that wasn't enough. The baskets broke also at welds.
Bungee cords and placing the heavier stuff in the bottom baskets helped some.
It had shocks and we had an air hitch or it would have been worse. I40, at the time, would just about open all the drawers and cabinets..

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
The childproof latches work great. I just bought a used TT in Feb. Had just finished installing childproof latches for my daughter in her house. When the seller told me he had 2 doors that sometimes came open I decided to try the CP latches. Work great. One suggestion...get the kind that rotate so you can turn off the latch feature when camping, otherwise they can be as annoying for us as for the kids. Just have to remember to rotate before moving.

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
crimmps49 wrote:

Bingo! That'll work! The pantry cabinet is a single door cabinet not the pull out type.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some marine push in/out latches that a number of "B" makers use. When the button is in, the door is latched, period. Well, barring a failure of the latch or the strike.

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Style-Spring-Barrel-Hardware-http://www.amazon.com/Style-Spring-Barrel-Hardwar... inside the pantry door. When traveling, I change the position so the slide out shelves stay in place and don't push the door open.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drive slower!....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
louiskathy wrote:
Is the pantry door a pull out or is it hinged?
Pull out: Put eye screws on both sides of the pull out and string a bunge cord across to hold the door in place. If the bunge needs more support... put the bunge inside a stiff plastic tube and then hook the ends into the eye screws.

To keep a hinged door closed... You could put the two eye screws so that they overlap. (One in the side of the door and one next to it.) Then just drop a nail into them or make an "L" shaped pin.
If they were built right in the first place, you shouldn't have to do that stuff! My coach is 19 years old closely approaching 20, and I don't have to do that stuff.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:
I have zip ties I use to secure a couple things while towing, once I need it I just cut the zip tie off and I'm done.

In the long run, velcro ties would be cheaper and just as good.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't drive on that road anymore.
2013 ACE 29.2

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Is the pantry door a pull out or is it hinged?
Pull out: Put eye screws on both sides of the pull out and string a bunge cord across to hold the door in place. If the bunge needs more support... put the bunge inside a stiff plastic tube and then hook the ends into the eye screws.

To keep a hinged door closed... You could put the two eye screws so that they overlap. (One in the side of the door and one next to it.) Then just drop a nail into them or make an "L" shaped pin.
Kathy

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I have zip ties I use to secure a couple things while towing, once I need it I just cut the zip tie off and I'm done.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the pantry door latching hardware. That stuff wears out eventually, and yours is over 8 years old now. Just like the stick house. Lots of places out there sell that kind of hardware.