cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

poor radio reception

ken0304
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 class c motorhome on a ford e450. I have poor radio reception out of the city. I replaced the radio with a new one, but still lose the signal. I have checked the antenna and everything looks good. Has anyone had the same problem.
8 REPLIES 8

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some RV manufacturers move the antenna forward on the front fender, to get it more distant from the cab-over framework. I thought this might have been part of Ford's RV Prep option package.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ken0304 wrote:
I'am sure the higher the antenna is the better, but I don't know where to buy one with a long enough cable. Anyone knows where please let me know.
higher is not necessarily better on AM, but distance from the interfering source is.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

2KGeorgieBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't already done so, can I suggest that you seriously consider using satellite radio, such as XM or Sirius? We live in the Colorado mountains and have had XM radio for close to 18 years. It is in all of our vehicles, the house and the RV. We would never go back to regular commercial radio again. Reception is never a problem and there is an abundance of program choices. Just an idea.

ken0304
Explorer
Explorer
I'am sure the higher the antenna is the better, but I don't know where to buy one with a long enough cable. Anyone knows where please let me know.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 is the same. The people who have solved it have installed an antenna on the roof of the MH. I'm thinking about it.

We had a trailer that had the radio antenna attached at the upper sidewall, with a 90* mount to point it skyward. That worked too. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know how high above the roof the antenna needs to be.

I also don't know if it needs to be on a metal ground plane, such as a fender.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully it's just a ground that needs buffing up, but it's amazing the trash coming out of the engine CPU these days, and that antenna is awfully close
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1998 Ford E350 and the antenna was mounted on the right front fender and never lost reception. I would check the wiring from the antenna to the radio. Simple things like is the antenna wire loose to the radio or is a bit of rust interfering with the antenna's ground.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the antenna on the right front fender? Thats your problem.