cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressors?

armyhockeynut
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recomendations for a portable air compressor that I can use to on motorhome tires?
David - Manassas,VA

USA(RET)27+ yrs, Now a DOD Civ Bus Operator๐Ÿ™‚

17 Thor Hurricane 35M:B

GS Chapter President(2002-4/2010-pres)
VA State Staff(2006-09)
Good Sam Club Life Member

29 REPLIES 29

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gutfelt wrote:
u set tires cold on your Class A MH based on the weights you carry etc and as long as circumstances regarding those parameters stay the same you should never have to adjust assuming they don't leak of course
Sure, but "cold" can change.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I carry mine because I already had it with our 5er and it is a good general purpose compressor for multiple things - airing back up the Jeep tires after off road, winterizing, grandkids stuff, water toys, bikes, and the RV tires. Sure the on board compressor can do some of that, but the engine has to be running and not worth cold starting the Cummins to air up a bike tire.

So its not about not fixing flat tires, but if you are going to buy a compressor you might as well have one that can air up the rig tires, because the on board compressor won't do much better than 100 psi and my portable does 150 psi with a far better CFM than most (fast recovery).
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Iโ€™m still trying to figure why people donโ€™t just fix leaking tires. The last time any air went into any of my tires was when they were put on the rim.
Your air pressure never varies with the changing temperature?

matters not;; u set tires cold on your Class A MH based on the weights you carry etc and as long as circumstances regarding those parameters stay the same you should never have to adjust assuming they don't leak of course

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Mile High wrote:
You guys keep throwing people into the Open Roads threads and they aren't signed in anymore.
That must mean you. You're signing out?
Not till you venture further in, then you realize you're not in rv.net anymore.
I don't understand. I can go to any of these sites without signing in or out at all. I don't know what you mean 'venture further in'. It's just a simple link to one thread.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Iโ€™m still trying to figure why people donโ€™t just fix leaking tires. The last time any air went into any of my tires was when they were put on the rim.
Your air pressure never varies with the changing temperature?

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
gutfelt wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Iโ€™m still trying to figure why people donโ€™t just fix leaking tires.

The last time any air went into any of my tires was when they were put on the rim.

seriously I think some of these guys check their AP so often they cause the problem; in reality they should never lose more than a few pounds in like 3 or 4 years; my right front looses about 5 lbs in a year and my left front zero;I think I put air in the rears like twice in 7 years so I agree with you

This was certainly the case for me. Every once in a while the sand from the Equal tire balancer would stick a valve open. Since I put on TPMS, I haven't had to add air.

I finally dumped the spare tire I've been lugging around for 3 years. I still carry the compressor though.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

The last time any air went into any of my tires was when they were put on the rim.
I take it you never developed a slow leak while on the road or never strayed very far from a metropolitan area with tire service was at your fingertips.

I and am sure others, always have a leaking tire or wheel repaired at a opportune time. However, those services are not always available or convenient at the time and place like in remote areas.

Thus, the discussion concerning portable air compressors.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

seriously I think some of these guys check their AP so often they cause the problem; in reality they should never lose more than a few pounds in like 3 or 4 years; my right front looses about 5 lbs in a year and my left front zero;I think I put air in the rears like twice in 7 years so I agree with you

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
like I tried to explain hit shift when you click on the link and it will open without signing out of current location although the link is the same user name and password and add to that if u use the right settings your current location will always keep u signed in

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
You guys keep throwing people into the Open Roads threads and they aren't signed in anymore. It's hard to unwind out of there if you don't realize it happened. Stop it

That wasn't a real comprehensive thread anyway, I think we can do better here!

WTH are you even talking about??
the guy gave a simple easy to open link for air compressors
so what? it works fine easy to open and close? no different Than any other link out there
if you don't know how to open link without losing your current link click on shift at the time u open other link;; its not rocket science here now
Take a rest Hostage, errr I mean Gutfelt. There was a smile at the end of that sentence. I wouldn't want to start getting greasy PMs from you again.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Mile High wrote:
You guys keep throwing people into the Open Roads threads and they aren't signed in anymore.
That must mean you. You're signing out?
Not till you venture further in, then you realize you're not in rv.net anymore.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Personally, I would not get a 120V AC one. Either get a large CO2 bottle or an off-road 12VDC compressor. The wimpy 12VDC ones you see at Sears/Walmart will take hours to fill up a tire on a Class A.

curious as to why not a 120V? almost everyone has a gen set etc

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would not get a 120V AC one. Either get a large CO2 bottle or an off-road 12VDC compressor. The wimpy 12VDC ones you see at Sears/Walmart will take hours to fill up a tire on a Class A.