cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible Big Repairs, Used Motor Home

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
If I buy a 2 - 4 year old used diesel pusher motor home (to avoid huge front end depreciation), what are the big things I might get hung with? Motor repairs, transmission repairs?? How much might that be, how to avoid it?
24 REPLIES 24

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
To me, I consider a to 2 to 4 year old DP to be almost new.

I purchased my 02 Newmar Dutch Star DP (see below) in early 2010. Put on 32,000+ miles since then, for a total of 93,000+ miles currently on the odometer. No major problems, only run-of-the-mill stuff and standard maintenance issues. Only major problem was due to my fault for reassembling a major component (hydraulic cooling fan motor) incorrectly (even though I knew better how it should have been done correctly).
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
This is very helpful. I didn't make it clear; my main worry is about the engine and transmission of the motorhome, as this is what I have no experience with. Through my 5th wheel, I know all about refrigerators, AC's, water pumps, etc. I figure the big items would be the engine/transmission?

30,000 miles in 14 years, oil, filters and tires .. Cummins 8.3 ISC Allison 6 speed. Spartan chassis.

One major PITA, a loose ECM causing the engine to quit as it felt like it. more trouble shooting than money spent.

Our Cummins/Spartan/Allison is 10 years old and no engine/transmission problems. 70,000 miles on it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
This is very helpful. I didn't make it clear; my main worry is about the engine and transmission of the motorhome, as this is what I have no experience with. Through my 5th wheel, I know all about refrigerators, AC's, water pumps, etc. I figure the big items would be the engine/transmission?

30,000 miles in 14 years, oil, filters and tires .. Cummins 8.3 ISC Allison 6 speed. Spartan chassis.

One major PITA, a loose ECM causing the engine to quit as it felt like it. more trouble shooting than money spent.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Engine and Tranny are the big ticket items for sure. Get used samples of all fluids, engine oil, coolant and transmission oil. Hydraulic oil, too, if hydraulic fan cooled. Results will give you a snap shot of condition. Make it a condition of sale. For peace of mind a warranty may be worth it. Most of the house stuff is no different than your 5th wheel unless your MH has an Aqua-Hot. That is also a big ticket item.

I was pretty nervous about those items as well. We went from Travel trailer to Class A. Make no mistake you need to have some resources around, cash, warranty or credit card. You should also plan on ~$5k to make it yours or for incidentals. Things you didn't find on the walk through. Most RV elated engine problem are due to poor maintenance of the coolant system.

IMHO tires are the telltale, anyone who goes cheap on the tires skimps elsewhere, too.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with most of the replies. Look at engine, tranny and chassis maintenance records, any service you can not verify, have it done or DIY. Oil, chassis lube, filters (Engine air and oil, fuel, coolant, air cleaner, Air dryer etc)
At 2-4 years years unless it has been grossly mistreated the problems should be minimal. If the interior looks neglected, the chassis probably is also...
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
After eleven years on my ISB Cummins I had to replace my turbo because of electrical problems. Other then that I replaced a alternator and a transfer pump the latter two under warranty. The turbo went at 88,ooo miles and cost around $3800 total. Other then that repairs have been very minimal and none to any drive train parts.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:

With this in mind my earlier comments about an extended warranty still apply. I would get one and sleep easy!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
If I buy a 2 - 4 year old used diesel pusher motor home (to avoid huge front end depreciation), what are the big things I might get hung with? Motor repairs, transmission repairs?? How much might that be, how to avoid it?

One must know how handy you are, lots of stuff can be repaired or replaced by the owner.

2-3 year old diesels I would not expect any big repairs after the infant mortality is over. keep oil and fluids full they should run the life of the coach. same with the transmission.

Coach appliances are the luck of the draw. they can fail at any time

The coach is totally the quality of the build, and if the manufacturer is still supporting the unit.

Monaco, Beaver, Safari, and several other companies built some wonderful units, but you are at the mercy of the industry to support them in a major repair. but when they are in good condition they can be supported by the simple appliance replacement and or upgrades. keep them insured, when a major accident occurs grab the money and find another.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a certified engine and transmission facility and they can check your repair history using the serial. Number. Also can do a plug in diagnostic history of what's in memory. Check refrigerator fall any recall. Go to chassis certified dealer to have them check for recalls.

5thwheeleroldman wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Double entry
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
All the replies so far have been good. In my mind, I would be looking for any signs of water intrusion or damage. Any discoloration on the ceiling or of the wood of the cabinets especially where they meet the ceiling or floor. Look for screws with rusty heads on them. That's also an indication of water leaks. I know my next suggestion will be attacked by many but if you are buying from a dealer consider an extended service plan (extended warranty). That will cover catastrophic events like a blown engine or transmission. Some will say save the money and put it in the bank for repairs but a blown engine may cost 20K. That's a lot of money and the peace of mind that the agreement provides is worth it to me. Just my opinion!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
A aftermarket warranty for a year or two might be a wise investment
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend that bought a used diesel motor home. He had the same concern so he bought a Good Sam maintenance contract. Not sure of the name but not the emergency road service. As it turned out he had no problems but he bought peace of mind for the first year or two, then dropped the contract.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler