cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potential RV'ers from Alaska

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
My sister and husband want to RV for winter in southern US, but are afraid to leave their home in Anchorage for fear it will freeze up over the winter. Their concern is based on using a boiler to heat their home, and they are concerned about HOW TO take care of it so they can relax and enjoy being out of the cold. I told them that I would see what others are doing that come from like conditions.:h
any help/guidance appreciated
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013
14 REPLIES 14

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are many Alaskans and Canadians that we meet in the south in the winter so there is a way and I'm sure they don't all have housesitters. Hopefully, some of them will reply. Alaska is a whole new ballgame compared to the lower 48 states as far as deep cold for a long period of time. But I know it can be done.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
I know of people here in Wisconsin who snow bird to the south and they just hook an air compressor to the water lines and blow everything out. It seems to work quite well. Shut the water and heat off and head south.:)

Do they have hydronic heat?

Being a native Californian myself I don't know if you can "blow out" a complete hydronic heating system?
Thanks, Kay

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I know of people here in Wisconsin who snow bird to the south and they just hook an air compressor to the water lines and blow everything out. It seems to work quite well. Shut the water and heat off and head south.:)

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
becker wrote:
Gary and Cathy......

I don't know where you live but it seems to me the easiest and most worry free solution would be to get a responsible next door neighbor to check on your house daily..... or a relative...... or anyone you would feel comfortable doing the task. There are three of us with RVs here in my neighborhood and that's what we do..... and have been doing it for years...... never a problem..... with a cell phone you could talk to them daily, if necessary. If there happens to be a problem that arises (or either of you have a question) you can get in touch with each other immediately. This solution is no big deal. Who picks up the papers and gets the mail for you?..... they can do it. You can even re-route your phone number to your cell phone.

Like I said "it's no big deal", just come on down here to Texas. Everything is great (except the humidity), but you get used to it. We have tons of "snow birds" who come down here every year and they love it.

What's funny is you want to come down here and we want to go up there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We live in Idaho...so no big deal when we leave and we already go to SCW Az. I was asking for my sister who has a hard time understanding there are a lot of people doing already what they want to do...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
They never go on a vacation during the winter? Did the house freeze up while they were gone for two weeks? Does their furnace have a habit of dieing?

When still working we'd take two two week trips a winter to Mexico. Now that we're retired, we've spent most of the last two winters outside. Never had any problems.

I wouldn't winterize the house - too much hassel. There are other simpler and less expensive things to do. There are devices that will call your cell or someone else's phone if the temp in the house drops below a certain point. There are lights with temp sensors that can be set up to shine at the neighbor's house if the temp goes too low. Have a neighbor check the house. Hire a security monitoring company. After the initial equipment install, the house is monitored for flooding, temperature, break-ins, etc for $25 per month.

It sounds like they either don't want to leave and are looking for excuses, or they just worry too much.

Bill
They are ones that at times I think they only want to leave, but really don't as they seem to find excuses...but that is there business...They have hired house sitters to come in for a 2 or 3 week period...but they bought Mom's house in Yuma ans at least are planning to go...but are looking to have a full time house sitter...I however like the idea of the monitoring system...that is what we do, but being from Idaho our winters are not as severe...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
We sort of have the same issue with an older home in Wisconsin. DH has been here 35 years and once he came home and found that something went out causing the water to run the holding tank dry forcing the pump to run constantly. You run the risk of either flooding the basement or burning out your water pump....and that can happen anytime of year. Winter time only adds to the potential issues.

I know a couple who had a home on the market in the winter and one bedroom got too cold and the pipes froze in that room and messed the whole works.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a neighbor check daily.
Thanks, Kay

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

becker
Explorer
Explorer
Gary and Cathy......

I don't know where you live but it seems to me the easiest and most worry free solution would be to get a responsible next door neighbor to check on your house daily..... or a relative...... or anyone you would feel comfortable doing the task. There are three of us with RVs here in my neighborhood and that's what we do..... and have been doing it for years...... never a problem..... with a cell phone you could talk to them daily, if necessary. If there happens to be a problem that arises (or either of you have a question) you can get in touch with each other immediately. This solution is no big deal. Who picks up the papers and gets the mail for you?..... they can do it. You can even re-route your phone number to your cell phone.

Like I said "it's no big deal", just come on down here to Texas. Everything is great (except the humidity), but you get used to it. We have tons of "snow birds" who come down here every year and they love it.

What's funny is you want to come down here and we want to go up there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
They never go on a vacation during the winter? Did the house freeze up while they were gone for two weeks? Does their furnace have a habit of dieing?

When still working we'd take two two week trips a winter to Mexico. Now that we're retired, we've spent most of the last two winters outside. Never had any problems.

I wouldn't winterize the house - too much hassel. There are other simpler and less expensive things to do. There are devices that will call your cell or someone else's phone if the temp in the house drops below a certain point. There are lights with temp sensors that can be set up to shine at the neighbor's house if the temp goes too low. Have a neighbor check the house. Hire a security monitoring company. After the initial equipment install, the house is monitored for flooding, temperature, break-ins, etc for $25 per month.

It sounds like they either don't want to leave and are looking for excuses, or they just worry too much.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind how big a task it is to winterize a house -- it's not an RV. You need to find every single bottle/jar/package with liquid anything in it and either get rid of it or put it where rupture won't harm anything.

I'd rather hire a housesitter to check on the place periodically, set the temp to 50 or so, and head on out.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change boiler to antifreeze from water. What they use in many of the outdoor wood furnaces.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
I agree, winterize the house, there are companies that do that here, I'm sure there are some there.

I agree...the problem is her "Plummer" said they couldn't do it reliably...I say they can by adding glycol to system in a set amount much like a radiator in a car...but would like to know how others do it so I can point her in the right direction...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, winterize the house, there are companies that do that here, I'm sure there are some there.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winterize the house. My inlaws did that at the farm in Iowa.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts