Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Furnace Exhaust Fumes Inside Coach

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I’ve been looking to buy a 2015 Winniebago Vista 36Y. I live in Northern NJ and couldn’t find one locally. I located one at Ray Wakley’s RV Center in North East, PA, some 6 hours away, and liked the unit very much when I saw it. While walking through it, I asked the salesman to turn on the furnace, and when he did, the coach filled with smoke, not so you couldn’t see, but enough that we had to turn on the fan and open the windows.

The salesman immediately called their top service guy in, he didn’t think it was a big deal, and said new coaches often had coating that had to “burn” off, and as part of their setup, they run all appliances for 6 to 8 hours. It wouldn’t be a problem and they would fix it.

The salesman offered that the rig had been on the lot for over a year, and maybe an insect had nest in the exhaust. It’s a 2015 but the MH is new.

Do these explanations sound logical? When he first turned the furnace on, I went outside to feel the exhaust, to see if was getting hot and it was, and the exhaust felt forceful. So I’m not so sure about the insect nest theory. As to coatings needing to be burned off, has anyone ever heard of this. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should unburned coatings be filling the inside of the coach?

The generator was also running really rough, it’s an Onan 5500. I’m figuring stale gas, but could the carb be gummed up after a year of not running much and I’m sure no Stabil was added.

I like everything else about the rig, the price is right, and I had a really hard time finding a 2015 close by. I put a deposit down, and the dealer is assuring me all will be made right. But I certainly don’t want to be in a coach with propane fumes and would like some advice as how to proceed.

Thanks.. Paul
13 REPLIES 13

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.. thanks Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Paul James wrote:
@DOUGRAINER Doug, if the genset is running smoothly while it's under load, can I assume that it will be ok? Assuming I maintain it going forward.

@ DUCTAPE Hadn't considered the main engine having problems with stale gas. When I test drove it, it was very smooth, and when I was in the coach and it was idling, I couldn't even tell it was running.

NO, It should run smoothly on NO load and with Load. Doug

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
@DOUGRAINER Doug, if the genset is running smoothly while it's under load, can I assume that it will be ok? Assuming I maintain it going forward.

@ DUCTAPE Hadn't considered the main engine having problems with stale gas. When I test drove it, it was very smooth, and when I was in the coach and it was idling, I couldn't even tell it was running.

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks AISTQM1, I've only heard good things about them, nice to hear it from someone who has done repeat business with them. I liked them a lot when I was there, seem like good people to me. Steve Rizzo was my sales guy, liked him a lot, I assume you know him. Paul

AISTQM1
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased 3 MH from Wakelys. 2 used and 1 new. They will make it right.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Paul James wrote:
@ Doug Grainer Thanks Doug for the input, that was my feeling about the carb on the Genset, I'll take replacement of the carb up with them.

The reason I stated NEW carb is simple. Onan does not have carb rebuild kits and have NOT since the mid 90's. Onan had to make their carbs California compliant and because of that, they cannot be tampered with. They have plastic lock plugs on the carbs to prevent adjustment or tinkering with them. A GOOD Tech can remove the plastic locks and rebuild the carb, BUT, that voids the Onan warranty. So, if under warranty, I would demand a new carb. Out of warranty, you can rebuild them as long as you take care to not destroy the gaskets and o rings. Doug

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Get it in writing they will cover any engine issues related to stale fuel. The main engine may have issues with the old fuel too, and Ford won't cover that. All you need is a short term guarantee until the first couple of refills are used.

I would not hesitate to purchase, as long as the dealer accepts the potential costs from sitting that long.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
@ Doug Grainer Thanks Doug for the input, that was my feeling about the carb on the Genset, I'll take replacement of the carb up with them.

Paul_James
Explorer
Explorer
@ OldBiscuit yes, the batteries in the smoke detector where turned around, that's why it did't go off.

As far as the generator, is it likely the carb may be gummed up.

@ We Can't Wait the folks at Ray Wakley's were great to deal with, my salesman Steve Rizzo worked in the shop before doing sales, so he's got a good perspective. Good to hear others have had good dealings with them.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that is the standard burn off of the "oil" from the furnace burner casing. That is why the furnace/s should always be run for at least 30 minutes before delivery of a new unit. It can cause a lot of concern for a new owner if they do not know what is happening. NOBODY runs appliances for 6 to 8 hours before delivery as a TEST of the appliances. They will run the AC units and refer/water heater because they are ON while the prep is being done.
As to the Genset. IF it has been on the lot for a year and was running bad. The ONLY fix is a NEW Carb. I would NOT allow them to attempt to clean it out, on a NEW unit. They failed to maintain that Genset for that year and now they have to buy a new carb. Yes, a good Technician can disassemble and clean out the jets, but not on MY new unit. Doug

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I've dealt with Ray Wakley several times and they are a reputable honest dealer, in fact there one of a few Winnebago GOLD STAR dealers/service centers in the North East. I would not hesitate buying a unit from them.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
All new furnaces need to be burned off. And, after they sit for a while, the dust needs to burn off.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES very normal for 'new' furnace to smell when first fired off.
YES there is an.... oil coating on the metal.....used during mfg. process
IF it was CO the CO Alarm should have gone off if it's battery was in and good

CO is from combustion of the propane.......propane would be that 'bad egg' smell and the LP Detector should have gone off if there was a propane leak.

Furnace heat exchanger would have to be cracked in order for CO to leak inside RV

Made sure ANY/ALL Items found that are not right during your walkthru inspection are fixed BEFORE you pay them anymore monies.

They are all smiles and handshakes when getting your money and then don't know you afterwards -----just saying. GET IT IN WRITING
Like Judge Judy says "If it isn't written it doesn't exist"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31