cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane heating in closed vented metal shed

How_Dun
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid winterizing until we are able to go south can we run the propane furnace in the motorhome while parked in a vented metal 40x60 building. Do you see any problems doing this? We will not be living in it.
11 REPLIES 11

How_Dun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, we are going to give it a try. We do have a CO detector in the motorhome. This is a Morton building and is well ventilated.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Propane exhaust has a LOT of moisture in it ! The metal building need good ventilation or the walls will be sweating.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
darsben1 wrote:
Buy a co2 detector and hang it in the MH. POOF peace of mind!

It is a niggling detail, some would say, but the sort of detail that can kill you: you want a CO detector, NOT a CO2 detector. CO2 is the gas that makes soda fizzy, and is mostly harmless. You exhale it with every breath.

CO, on the other hand, is VERY toxic, which is why there are CO detectors and alarms, and why you should already have one in your MH, and why you should put one in your Sticks & Bricks house.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just ventilate a bit by opening the doors before you go in for any length of time. The shed may not be that tight, but you could possibly create an high CO atmosphere after a while depending on how much the furnace has to run.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
How Dun wrote:
To avoid winterizing until we are able to go south can we run the propane furnace in the motorhome while parked in a vented metal 40x60 building. Do you see any problems doing this? We will not be living in it.

you are 100% good to go and will experience zero problems in regards to the situation described the only thing I would do is make sure that your MH is covered by some sort of insurance in this situation

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
vented building you are good to go. If there is electric just use an electric heater with a thermostat.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disclaimer: I have no specific experience with doing what is proposed.

The most likely possible difficulty I can come up with would be excessive condensation inside the shed. The furnace is putting a good bit of moisture in the air in the shed (along with carbon dioxide), and metal buildings, particularly uninsulated ones, tend to be prone to condensation since the skin is a pretty decent thermal conductor.

Having adequate air exchange in the shed to keep the condensation at bay would, I suspect, also be more than adequate to keep the oxygen levels appropriate and, assuming the furnace is operating properly, the carbon monoxide levels at a safe point. If the furnace is misadjusted it could emit a good bit of carbon monoxide that would otherwise be dispersed more or less harmlessly in the outside air.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Could possibly kill all the mice and other rodents that are waiting for a ride south.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:

If a tree falls in the woods........
If nobody is IN the MH to hear the alarm.......

Yes that should be fine, with two notes:

If the thermostat sticks ON, the thing could catch fire.

Depending on how the water pipes are routed, heat inside might not keep the pipes from freezing OUTSIDE the MH. That depends, of course, on the temperature in the shed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We do it every year before we head out to Arizona. We want to be in our home for Christmas with the kids, grandchildren and great grandchildren. We have a Morton building 42x96 with sliding doors and I hook up my Bus to a series of LP bottles to run the heaters and prevent freeze ups. Never had a problem and being in the machine shed keeps the Bus out of the wind so we don't have to use as much propane.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus