cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane valve leaking

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
I opened the propane valve this morning and propane leaked through the valve stem. The valve was open for the three and a half months we volunteered this summer. I closed the valve when we returned to the storage place. It was chilly here in San Antonio this morning.

Any ideas? Is there a way for me to tighten the valve without going to a shop? What precautions do I need to take aside from not opening the valve?
10 REPLIES 10

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Tank is 18#. Small for a Class A but that is what Winnebago puts in them for this series.

The valve is closed tight and there is no leak. I hope I am smart enough to know that you do not play with propane so I would leave any repair to a professional. I thought (dangerous thing for me to do) that if I came on here there could possibly be a simple fix, but, this IS an RV so there is no such thing as a simple fix.

An RV is defined as a hole you throw money into. Really, I enjoy the RV and will get it fixed at the first opportunity.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ON the internet google; PROPANE {zip code}
Where the zip code of your parking spot replaces the obvious segment above.

Find a Distributor, one with the big trucks and tanks.. Give 'em a call and then give them a visit,, Depart with a new valve and a flatter wallet (Not all that much flatter as it turns out).

Some of them may be able to recover the propane for you but as someone else said, a fill up on my tank was only 60 bucks and change and the tank was near empty (100 pounder).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DiskDoctr wrote:
A regular 20 lb tank? Get rid of it. $20 worth of propane isn't worth the risk...

Being in the Class A section and being a tank....doubt it is a 20# propane cylinder.

OP when valve is fully OPEN are you backseating it (fully open TIGHT)?

Have you tighten packing gland nut (nut on top where stem comes thru---if it has nut)?

Propane is colder than ambient air...doubt that cold air temps is causing stem leak
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
A regular 20 lb tank? Get rid of it. $20 worth of propane isn't worth the risk...

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It probably is your regulator next to the shut off valve. I had to replace mine several years back. I got the part at a propane place. It is easy to replace, just turn the propane valve off and then you can proceed changing the regulator out. Very common for those to go bad. Propane is nothing to mess around with. Delaying the repair can be dangerous.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Valve is leaking when opening and fully open. Does not leak when shut completely. We have had some chilly (for us) weather here so I wonder if that might be a contributing factor?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the valve leak around stem when fully 'closed' or fully 'open'?

The shut0ff valves are 'double seat' valves.......valve disk is double faced so that it closes against a seat in full close & full open positions.

Fully open valve tight against backseat to stop any stem leaking, unless backseat/valve disk face are buggered up.

With it fully open..tighten valve stem packing gland nut slightly (not too much or operating valve will become very difficult).

Use up propane in tank and then have valve replaced....if it still leaks when opening/closing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
"To the moon Alice, to the moon."
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, I'd have the tank checked and the valve replaced, but of course, I like to err on the conservative side. Stop by one of the local propane distributors and they'll hook you up. IMHO, propane leaks are not something you want to mess around with.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last one I had replace was the same and it has a double seal. One for the tank off and one for the valve fully open to seal. Sounds like time for a new one.