cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of the new Fleetwood

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently considering upgrading from a gasser to a DP. I would like to consider all reasonable models

I had previously been leery of Fleetwood, based on many reports of quality control problems.

Lately, I have been hearing that the new Fleetwood company is doing much better on quality.

Would appreciate feedback on experiences. Please........ owners of older Fleetwoods, don't attack me. I am just looking for some honest opinions on the new Fleetwood.
21 REPLIES 21

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 6 motorhomes and 2 TT ,since 1978,in our RV ing life and now have a "New" 2012 American Tradition by Fleetwood...a 43M....the last 2 DP ers we had were Newmars..a 99 DSDP and a 2004 MADP....we owned them a total of 12 years and drove them just shy of 170,000 miles..the MADP had 99,000 miles...we actually went to the dealer to look/buy a 2012 MADP but DW saw this Tradition...which i have to agree had a lot and looked quite nice...BUT..

Quality Control does not seem to exist or is considered very important at the American plant,in MHO,On their tour, you never see it or is it even mentioned at all.
The saving factor for American is their Factory Service Center, if you go there to get "fixed",this service ctr and the people that work there, know their coaches...and can fix them......They are Fantastic.....They should be the Quality Control Dept

In the first 6 months...6,000 miles...here are some of the problems we ran into : Residential Refrig just stopped cooling;two hyd lines were on top of the radiator cooler and melted..hyd oil all over and no jacks;rear a/c in bedroom not blowing cold air....a block of foam left in air vent when installed;both captain chairs would not turn;driver's seat tearing in seam;moulding on inside of slides fell off as brought in..fixed 3 times;elect locks on full wall slide worked only when they wanted too..fixed 2x's;trim around front tv-falling off;one section of slide out, never buffed out at paint shop;air leaking in around cover in rear bath from engine;broken hdmi connector for tv.......these are what I can remember......

Now the Service Ctr spent in 4 days nearly 140 man hours to fix all of these....and fix them all they did...a Great Service Ctr
Now all units have their problems but our Newmars never had this maby items in 12 yrs...also was a few yrs back, I admit
If Fleetwood had a 24 month warranty period....for new RV's...then these items would all get fixed..We were lucky that the Tradition actually "Fell Apart" in 6 months and didn't go past the warranty period
the jury is still out on Would We buy a new American.....But you can be sure we will be looking at the Newmars.....Chuck

fredbon wrote:
Interesting, only one posting from an owner of a "New" Fleetwood product.

fred
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I can only ofrer limited comments. The new Fleetwood has many of the same great service people of the former. Their service is about as good as it gets from them. That counts for a lot for many who caan't or don't desire to do it themselves.
The prices are a little higher than the old. The cabinetry is not as great however. Gota keep it honest. the Eagle etc do have the good wood . The paint is a great this time around as are many mfgs.
The fit and seal of compartments is better. Ths ound system and refrigerator and electric features and so on are just fabulous in the higher end ones. The heat pumps are quieter. The new frames really opened up a lot more storage bay area. The independent front suspension is worlds better than our coach. I think the insulation is better also but don't know.
Things I would like to see is more fresh water, gray water, and black tank capacity. Sure it adds weight but it is great not to limit dry camping because you both take showers etc. Strengthen the frame if necessary. Insulate the tanks and piping so that cold weather is not a concern or requires monitoring. Make the awning full coach length or close anyway and drop down tie downs that detach automatically if the wind or weather causes the awning to be automatically retract. A little electric signal and magnetic latch, maybe.
And paint and clear coats at least as thick as Semis so bugs and rocks especially cause less or no damage on front cap.

daytripper63
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fleetwood 40x dp that I bought new and We had a few minor problems, only one thatbI had to take to the dealer and the others were little stuff that I took care of myself because I did not want my coach to sit at the dealer for a month to get the work done.
Love my Fleetwood DP and would buy another one
2008 FLEETWOOD PROVIDENCE 40X

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I came out of a Newmar and into my Fleetwood Both are very good coaches. I have had zero problems from both. I would buy Fleetwood again.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
fredbon wrote:

fred
And none from a new DP owner.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer

fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Mulberry912
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Fleetwood and have had NO problems with the coach at all, except a power surge. My fault, not Fleetwood's.

Ours is 2002. Runs strong and well built in my opinion.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H Workhorse Chasis 8.1 LTR V8. Many factory upgrades

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Most people who have bought a brand new home thru a builder are very familiar with the "walk thru" and "punch list" that is part of the closing process when you are taking posession. Its much the same with large boats and RVs. The bigger and more complicated the more likely there will be small issues. Good local dealers resolve them quickly, buying from an out of state discounter can make the the process more difficult. It would be great if everything left the factory perfect, but 4 brand new RVs later I expect minor issues that are easily resolved. Thankfully I have never had a major issue.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40' DP last November, I love, Love, Love it, I looked on the internet for months and we looked at several, but this one only had 5078 miles on it and some of the equipment had never been used. Like the washer/dryer, stove, oven, table leaf, I could go on and on, but we talked on the phone to the previous owner and he said he traded for a 2013 and there wasn't any problems with the Discovery. It is great compaired to our 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, we replaced just about everything on it, and it was still a 1990.

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a DP motorhome, but I have read and heard statements like this many times. I just can't accept that a very expensive piece of machinery will have a "laundry list" of issues. Somebody needs to be in charge of quality control and if he/she can't do it, then be replaced by someone who can. Just my opinion.

Even yachts have a laundry list of issues. Look at the Dreamliner. every aircraft has growing pains. even buses have issues. it is a very complicated unit a motorhome is. and lots of systems integrated into a vehicle that is not normally found in passenger cars. Motorhomes are more hand built and therefore not mass produced like a television. So expect a lot of issues. be thankfull you can afford a DP.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2012 FW Storm. This is an entry level unit and I knew that when I bought it. There was the "laundry list". During the repair process (supervised by an onsite FW representative)some of the work was not satisfactory. Long story short FW factory made sure I was a satisfied customer. My unit sat on the dealer lot for an extended period of time so FW extended my warranty. More recently I made some repairs to my RV (warranty expired). FW assisted me with technical support, diagrams and schematics.
I would not hesitate in buying another FW product.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
OnaQuest wrote:
Sooner Schooner wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
If you are looking at buying brand new, expect a laundry list of issues to be dealt with, not matter what manufacturer you choose. Be sure you have easy access to your dealer, or a repair facility that will handle warranty work for you.

We are considering buying a DP motorhome, but I have read and heard statements like this many times. I just can't accept that a very expensive piece of machinery will have a "laundry list" of issues. Somebody needs to be in charge of quality control and if he/she can't do it, then be replaced by someone who can. Just my opinion.

It's too bad your opinion doesn't change the facts. That's just my opinion.

Yes, you are correct, it does not change the fact that the guy at the factory who installed the door that does not close properly, and the guy that wired the electronic item that does not work, etc, got away with it and nobody checked it. The happy new customer with their shiny new RV has to postpone the exciting trip they planned to get the stuff on their brand new motorhome fixed. We are talking about new motorhomes, not older ones that have been bouncing down the highway for a few years.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
I see you have a Winnebago product now. We had a Fleetwood for 5 years. A pretty descent unit no issues with the Fleetwood part. We now own a Winnebago and I would not have anything else. Both were gas rigs.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
If you are looking at buying brand new, expect a laundry list of issues to be dealt with, not matter what manufacturer you choose. Be sure you have easy access to your dealer, or a repair facility that will handle warranty work for you.

It's too bad your opinion doesn't change the facts. That's just my opinion.