cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quikee steps

jluke
Explorer
Explorer
My steps worked fine all day, got to the camp site and get 2 clicks when I open or close the door, any quick hints to diagnose the problem or should I pick up some plastic steps for the rest of the trip?
10 REPLIES 10

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Did you check the battery? And associated wiring and connectors?
X-2, this happened to me last month! Even though my coach batteries were working, they weren't putting out the max power to operate my Kwikee steps.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the battery? And associated wiring and connectors?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The motor is a electric window motor. Bring it to a auto parts store. I got one from a junkyard for my old pace arrow for $8.00. It was off a Lincoln
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jluke
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Hitting the motor while opening the door worked! When we get through the trip, I will order a Motor, my wife, who is 5' tall was trapped inside and thanks you as well. What a wonderful resource this is.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
They will not work if not kept lubricated.
2014 American Eagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF the underside amber step light goes on and off when you open and close the door, the Magnet is OK and there is power to the step. While opening and closing the door(activating the magnet) HIT the motor with a hammer. IF the step then operates, replace the motor. It is bad and will stick again. It has a bad spot on the Armature. Doug

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
Mine would go half way out and chatter, had to push it with my foot to get it to lock out.
After the third trip to the dealer they put a new motor on and now its fine.
I don't have a good feeling about the quality of these steps.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tap the mechanism a couple times with a hammer(the motor housing/gear housing). Worked for mine for quite awhile.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Linkage could be broken. Look under the step or try to move step physically.
How loud is the click? It could be a relay in control box. This could indicate with no movement a bad motor, no power to step motor.
Check the two ground connections under the step. Stay clear of step while doing any inspection or work as it could attack you.
Check fuses. should be two. one control and one power.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestions: Give them a good kick when they should be out. Otherwise check the door magnet and make sure it's positioned correctly. Open and close several times.

I have test lights, etc so I would start checking electrical connections and for a good ground if that other stuff doesn't start them working.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C