cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Ladder

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Do diesel pushers come with a rear ladder? We just purchased one and noticed that there is no ladder on the rear. Is that because the engine is in the rear? If so, how do you access the roof for maintenance etc.? Thanks for the help.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport
17 REPLIES 17

bigdisplay
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We used our ladder all the time to access the roof. It's a shame they're not being included anymore. There was always something on the roof to check out - air conditioner, roof vents, checking the caulking, our solar panels and mostly, just washing the roof. Doesn't anyone do that anymore either? ๐Ÿ™‚

There is more danger trying to access the roof using a collapsible or extension ladder than with a ladder attached. Be careful out there.

The ladder has been a option on most Mh for the lats 10 years
The ladder is not designed for 300lb fattys
I use the ladder all the time to check roof seals, skylites,
AC units, roof vents etc

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used our ladder all the time to access the roof. It's a shame they're not being included anymore. There was always something on the roof to check out - air conditioner, roof vents, checking the caulking, our solar panels and mostly, just washing the roof. Doesn't anyone do that anymore either? ๐Ÿ™‚

There is more danger trying to access the roof using a collapsible or extension ladder than with a ladder attached. Be careful out there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I would hate not having a rear ladder and think a telescoping one would be very dangerous.

I think it would all depend on the ability of the climber. Some attached ladders are better than others. Ours on the Dynasty was a good one as it had rails over and above the roof-line which would make me feel safer.

I'm not sold on our extension ladder although it is very sturdy. It's my ability that I question more than the ladder. My balance has been compromised since I was paralyzed 5 yrs. ago from the neck down (lasted 2 weeks). I'm about 98% back.....and the 2% does make a small difference.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I would hate not having a rear ladder and think a telescoping one would be very dangerous.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone that responded. Apparently the Solei, that we just purchased, doesn't come with one. I'd really rather NOT have my husband climbing around up there. He's thinking that he will get a collapsible ladder and keep it in the underbelly as a "just in case". Again, thanks for the response.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has one but I leave it home and carry a standard 6' alum ladder. With the alum, I can use it to get on the roof and to reach other things around the coach as well.
2014 American Eagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How does that song go:

Sometimes they do
Sometimes they don't

Used to be mostly all did,but more and more it is "Bring Your Own Ladder"

Frankly... IF Ever I buy another MH.. I will specify BYOL, The one that came with my gasser was no good for my 300 pounds..Pulled it right off the wall.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous coach ('08 Dynasty) came with a ladder and I used it quite often to check on things. I would clean the fins on the three roof-top airs, clean the three Fantastic vents and wipe off the satellite dome.

Now, on the new one, it did not come with an attached ladder. It came with one of those that can be an A-frame ladder or opened all the way to be a long ladder that you would lean against the coach.

I would like to try it once but this new coach is tall. I honestly don't feel comfortable climbing over the awning covers and then trying to get back off. I think I'll just have pay someone to take care of anything that needs attention on the roof.

The manufacturer said that I could lean the ladder against the coach (with protection from scratching) step up on the top of the slide, then onto the roof. I guess that is an option.

It would be nice to have a garage with a catwalk along that side that can drop down to get on the roof and take care of any maintenance. I've got the plans of a perfect garage in my head, with a pit and all!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ours had a ladder on the back and has a rack about 7 inches tall on the roof that goes along the back and up the sides a little.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came with one but it is an option on the 2015
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As an example, both Newmar and Tiffin are using facades along the roof line on both sides of the coach to hide everything on the roof. The facades are generally complimented by a facade/spoiler across the back. For that reason, they no longer install ladders. You would have to climb over the spoiler to get on the roof.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of coaches with and lots without ladders. Not sure it is related to type of A/C.

Reasons against having ladders include liability, cost and aesthetics.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most do but some don'e so it's sort of a******shoot. Friends had a Newmar London Air with no ladder and when I asked he said Newmar didn't use them if there were no AC units on the roof. When we bought our Beaver, it also did not have a ladder and the same reason was given.

So....Basement air equaled no ladder as standard equipment.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
To many lawyers and we are no longer responsible for our actions.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...