cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nevada

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing Nevada in a 36 ft MH towing is Highway 50 a bad way to go from Fallon to Ely into Utah or would you go Highway 80 I see on the map 50 shows some high peaks?
13 REPLIES 13

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've always driven Hwy 50 across Nevada. It's a beautiful way to go...and no high peaks to cross like you'd have in say, Colorado.

It's amazing where we get cell service with Verizon nowadays. No problem there.

Take 'TheTexan's' above recommendations on fuel. Fill up when you see it. It's not a place to shop for prices. Drive on the top half of your tank, although it doesn't take long to cross Nevada.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven it both ways. I just don't think it is that lonely. We never went more than 10 or 15 minutes without seeing another car but we were driving during daylight. We are accustomed to not having cell service as we don't have it here in NC but we did use our OnStar on 50. I think it is a great road. lizzie

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going to Moab for the last 10 years. The first time I went 80. I went 50 the next year and haven't even considered 80 again. Yes, if you break down it will probably take a little longer to get service but it's a much nicer drive. Nice towns and I can't recall one pothole in the road. There are several passes to go over, but all doable.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
Great road and good scenery.
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Is there any Verizon service on that route?

For the most part, yes. There are a few short gaps. You can check here Verizon Coverage Map
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've also used it one time with no trouble.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any Verizon service on that route?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a blowout on that road years ago. 50 miles from the nearest phone. Had a toad so I drove to town. Called AAA. 3 hour response time. In two hours a guy on a Harley pulled up. He was from AAA. He was on his way home from vacation, and the local AAA office called him knowing he was on that road. He and I managed to change the tire, using my jacks. No cell, no CB reception. You are on your own out there.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We use that route as well. Have done it several times with different diesel pushers and will again.

Sure, if you don't want grades (easily handled by our 250 HP first coach) take another route. But the grades are very doable if you know how to drive on grades.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigSkyBob wrote:
Officially classified as the loneliest road in America but safe for towing coaches. Any changes in elevation are moderate and acceptable.

Great road and yes, not a lot of traffic. One can literally stop on the road and take a wizz without a bother.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Officially classified as the loneliest road in America but safe for towing coaches. Any changes in elevation are moderate and acceptable.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We love this road and travel it often. There is one fairly steep climb as you come into Austin and also on the east side as you leave Austin headed to Ely. It is about 6 - 10 miles grade of good 2 lane road, but very doable with any current RV. After you leave Ely, there is a long but not real steep downgrade as you head to the UT line and then another, about 22 miles into UT, as you descend into the great basin NP area. There is lots to see on US-50 so don't miss it.

Also, stay on the top half of your fuel, as there can be many miles between stops, but there are plenty of fuels stations in all the towns along your way. We generally fuel in Carson City, again in Ely at the Indian truck stop and then the Flying J in Scipio at I-15.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled Highway 50 years ago with a TC I don't remember the summits at all. I do remember the loneliness of that road. Mile and miles of nothingness. Makes you feel like your the only person on the planet. Peaks Nope don't remember them being a problem. Miles of nothingness. Plenty of that. You keep thinking if I break down here who is going to come and get me?