cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repalcing Onan

myface
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to junk the Onan I have and replace with electric start generator. Does any one know what generator I can use in place of Onan?.
Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

myface
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I decided to remove the Onan for repairs and come to the halt. I have all disconnected, but in my RV, I have a bracket on each side. While, I can remove the bracket on one side, I can not get to the bolts on another. Does any one remove Onan from 2001 Brave SE? 29A.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 to just get it repaired correctly or replace with same.
Although depending on RV use I would be tempted to fill the space with a lithium battery and large inverter.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators. They could take over the market in short order.

Thank you for doing that! I agree completely. It's time Onan enter the 21st century with their smaller sized generator models for RV use. The only thing I can think of is that they are secure in their existing market and it is just too small therefor not worth it to them to rock the boat. I'm sure a company like Honda could have a 2800, 4000, and 5500 watt RV ready inverter generators on the market in months, . . . . should they decide to. No new technology required. Just repackaging existing technology. We'll see.

Chum lee

myface
Explorer
Explorer
Onan corner the market for RV and that is why is so expensive - no competition. New 4000 cost form 3000 to 4000, while 4000 portable cost 600. 3500 Champion will fit into space, but there is problem with cooling. Will have to add a fan to blow down, but Champion is not reliable. I like the Ryobi - less noisy and less fuel. Honda is the best and 1/3 the price that Onan. Yes, some mods will have to be made, but I believe that will be worth in the long run. Yes, Onan is "plug and play", so a Windows for computers, but I run Linux on mine.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read here in other post about variable speed generators, and wondered if they had something else in mind.
Our Quiet diesel Onan 7500 kw in our 2005 Revolution varies it's speed according to load

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Update your antiquated products or fall by the wayside as technology moves on.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators.

Somewhat more strangely, in my opinion, is that Onan does in fact have a couple of variable-engine-speed inverter generators in their RV lineup: the QD6000 and QD8000. It doesn't seem like it would be an impossibly enormous task to use that technology in more of their models as well. (That's not to minimize the work required to design a generator or other piece of equipment; R&D does not come for free by any stretch of the imagination.)

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
My previous MH had a "PowerNow" 5500watt generator made by PowerTech for a couple of months probably as a test of the market. They'd taken a Kawasaki V-Twin engine, mounted it on rubber supports to a metal plate. On the other end of the plate was an Italian generator driven by a belt under the plate. Because the engine wasn't designed to be serviced from the side, I couldn't get at the rear sparkplug without pulling the generator out. Thankfully, the MH manufacturer used a heavy duty drawer slide but it was awfully tight pulling it out past the sidewall. I had to disconnect the exhaust to pull it out. The rubber supports compressed allowing the crankshaft to grind the bolt holding the pulley into the bottom of housing.

Overall, it had the power and the Kawasaki was a fine engine but it just wasn't designed for the application and was a pain to deal with. It had to come out to replace the air filter. PowerTech never sold all of them and while fussing about mine to a PowerTech rep at a couple of FMCA rallies, he offered to send me another. I never took him up on his offer because one was enough!

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators. They could take over the market in short order. Like others, I bought a 2200 watt Ryobi inverter portable and set it next to my MH when boondocking. It sits out there and idles giving me all the power I need to charge my batteries and watch TV every evening. I shut it off when I go to bed after the blankets have warmed the bed to perfection. It uses about a gallon a day compared to 1/2 gallon an hour my noisy Onan uses. Somebody's missing a great opportunity here.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed before and as I recall the idea was abandoned .

If you can't be sure that carbo monoxide is not going to kill you it
would be crazy to chance it .

Also proper air flow is a must or the new gen might melt .

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Harbor Freight genset should not be installed in a MH. Should use only as a portable unit.
Maybe on a carrier mounted to rear of rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Portable look at Harbor Freight for 3500 electric start.

If you can fit it in the space available, I would go with the Harbor Freight or Champion of the same size.

The only issue may be routing the exhaust to the outside instead of just dumping it inside the compartment. You will probably have to get some mounting brackets welded up.

Well, that and cooling and figuring out how to connect it to the RV fuel system and rigging up a remote start from inside the RV (if you want that and if the generator doesn't have a wireless remote control), and probably a few other odds and ends.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Portable look at Harbor Freight for 3500 electric start.

If you can fit it in the space available, I would go with the Harbor Freight or Champion of the same size.

The only issue may be routing the exhaust to the outside instead of just dumping it inside the compartment. You will probably have to get some mounting brackets welded up.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
How many hours on your current 20 year old Onan Microlite 4000? It is possible that it is just worn out. (but unlikely) I own a 21 year old Onan 4000 in my Class A gasser with over 2000 hours on it and it works/starts fine. But, I regularly perform ALL the recommended maintenance and it is bone stock with NO modifications. It also gets exercised frequently.

Chum lee

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are four or five places around the Country that sell used parts from RVS.
An onboard generator is far more friendly than an outside unit that you have to go out to start, fuel and secure and store when moving.
I can't see what RV you have and if gas or diesel, but if you can afford 7,500 kw to 10,000 kw in portable generators you can afford a new Onan and most certainly a used Onan which while outside the RV can be fully serviced with new belt cooling inspection etc.