cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a Roof Vent Cover

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I've got to replace a cracked and leaking crank-up roof vent cover.

I've done it before to remove 3 covers and to paint them black.

The way I did it was, on the INSIDE, to TOTALLY disassemble the roof vent and unscrewing the crank-up mechanism from the cross bar. Only then could I get the sliding end of the crank up arm up to the keyhole in the roof cover.

Then on the OUTSIDE, to climb up onto the roof to slide-off the old cover and slide-on the new one.

There MUST be an easier way... Is there???

Tim
17 REPLIES 17

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks for the chart

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
Thanks for the video and info. Now know I need roof vents and would like roof vent covers.

My TT is an o7. The roof vents ( moving part ) obviously need replacing. The bases the roof vents attach to appear ok and are sealed good to the roof. Do the bases normally last a lot longer than the moving roof vents?

BTW: I apologize for taking over the thread.

The vent lids often break and as long as the vents base is sealed well there is no need to replace them.

Here is chart that will help you in buying the correct vent lid.

Vent Lid
Good Luck
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the make and model of your vents and buy just the lids, then add the covers.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the video and info. Now know I need roof vents and would like roof vent covers.

My TT is an o7. The roof vents ( moving part ) obviously need replacing. The bases the roof vents attach to appear ok and are sealed good to the roof. Do the bases normally last a lot longer than the moving roof vents?

BTW: I apologize for taking over the thread.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great Video. Original MaxxAir comes with the brackets shown in the video. There's a MaxxAir-II that adds louvers to the sides and it comes with brackets that have hitch pins. With those, you can swing the cover out of the way for access without tools to the vent area below. The kit can be ordered separately for Original MaxxAir. I installed Original on our bathroom vent and II's over our two FanTastic vents. The II is promoted for FanTastic installations although some say it reduces airflow. I liked the style of the II over some of the specialized designs for FanTastic, and I don't feel I've lost significant fan performance. The price is also much less.
Critical dimension installing these covers (MaxxAir or CAMCO or anybody else) is to be sure the rear of the cover isn't too close to the rear of the vent lid. Too close and the vent won't open or won't open all the way. That's happened to me and I didn't have to re-drill the vent flange. I had used the middle of the slots in the covers when I laid out the flange holes, so I could just pick another slot.
30 minutes to do your first one, 10 minutes each from there on.
FanTastic uses a plastic roof flange, and I dismantled them to get the nuts provided by MaxxAir installed. I decided I'd use stainless sheet metal screws on any future ones. The plastic is plenty thick to hold self-tapping screws and an RV shop told me that's how they install onto FanTastic. I would NOT do that on metal flanges. Material's just too thin to hold with vibration. Calls for the machine screws with elastic nuts or lock washers.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
I put two of these on my MH. Easy to install. We really like them. Before we had them I always carried an extra roof vent cover.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
They come with four aluminum angle brackets. The short edge of the brackets fasten to the vertical part of your roof vent flange. The long edge hugs the roof surface and the vent cover fastens there.
So installation is drilling four small holes in each flange then assembling the brackets and dropping the cover down onto the brackets and applying a nut.
NO penetration of the roof fiberglass or rubber sheet.

Here is a You Tube video that shows what j-d is talking about, this may help in your install.

YOU TUBE VIDEO

Good Luck
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
They come with four aluminum angle brackets. The short edge of the brackets fasten to the vertical part of your roof vent flange. The long edge hugs the roof surface and the vent cover fastens there.
So installation is drilling four small holes in each flange then assembling the brackets and dropping the cover down onto the brackets and applying a nut.
NO penetration of the roof fiberglass or rubber sheet.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I understand now I think. Yeah I need to replace the vents on mine. One broke and is very brittle so I will replace both of them. Then consider the vent covers you were talking about.

One more question...Are they easy to attach and what are they attached to?

thanks

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
Bobbo, I need to replace two vent covers on mt TT. I like the looks of the Aero flo unit. Live on the coast and have a lot of wind, is there any way water can be blown in these units when fully closed..it looks like they have vent holes around the side in addition to opening at top?

There are no openings on top. The openings are all on the sides and back. It would take a hurricane to blow water in. The water has to be moving sideways and upwards.

I think my bases are ok. Would these units mount on a standard size roof vent base?

Yes, they are designed to cover a standard vent.

One of my vents has a switch operated fan in it ( which we have never used ). Do they make one of these with a fan in it?

No. These are not vents. They are vent COVERS. You install your vent, the one that opens and closes and maybe has a fan in it, then you install this vent cover over the vent. These allow you to keep the vent open during bad weather.

Sorry for all the questions, Camco website not clear. Just thought you or someone might know. No Rv places close by. Will have to order or make a trip of 30 miles one way to check them out.

If the vents you currently have need the lids replaced, replace those lids before installing the vent covers I am talking about. They are different things.
Bobbo and Lin

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo, I need to replace two vent covers on mt TT. I like the looks of the Aero flo unit. Live on the coast and have a lot of wind, is there any way water can be blown in these units when fully closed..it looks like they have vent holes around the side in addition to opening at top?

I think my bases are ok. Would these units mount on a standard size roof vent base?

One of my vents has a switch operated fan in it ( which we have never used ). Do they make one of these with a fan in it?

Sorry for all the questions, Camco website not clear. Just thought you or someone might know. No Rv places close by. Will have to order or make a trip of 30 miles one way to check them out.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have these Aero-Flo vent covers made by Camco on my RV. If anything ever happens to them, I will replace them with the identical unit.

I prefer them to the Maxx-Air vent covers.
Bobbo and Lin

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed vent covers on both of mine. Very easy to put on and if/when they break down in the future, you just remove 4 nuts to put on the new one. Although you do have to go on the roof to change it.

Jose

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can greatly increase the longevity of your vents by covering them with vent covers. Vent covers keep the sun's ultra-violet rays from drying out and cracking your plastic vents. The white vent covers (they come in dark smoke color too) still allow plenty of light through, too.

Vent covers also make it possible to keep your vents open during rain, snow, and high winds so you can continue to have great interior ventilation under all outside conditions.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C