cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing dual pane with single pane?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replace fogged dual pane windows with thicker single pane windows? I have a dual pane that is fogging and just wonder if it's worth the price of replacing it with another dual pane or just put in a single pane? I wonder how much difference their really is between the two in a motorhome?
Brian
28 REPLIES 28

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
It scratches very easy, you'd have to be very careful.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
pablo77 wrote:
What about Plexiglas or Lexan and some butyl sealant? DIY.

Worth a try, the plastic should be the same thickness as glass for easy installation. Since it's more flexible then glass, wonder if slip stream or wind might make it flex too much if on the outside? And prone to scratching if on either the inside or outside?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

pablo77
Explorer
Explorer
What about Plexiglas or Lexan and some butyl sealant? DIY.
Pablo77
'08 Mandalay Presidio #3469

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
Had one dual pane fail (bedroom) due to an exterior impact. Local shop replaced it with about a 2-week delay to get a new one made. Not really a big deal. Would not consider a coach without dual panes for insulation/condesation reasons.
tfw

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Dunno, Supercub, but lots of experts go there or send a team on a lark. Why not just call the folks that do that kind of work and ask them if they'll be in Quartzsite this coming January? There's like one in Arkansas, one in Florida, one in New Mexico, and the one in Oregon. That's just the ones I remember. But you'll have to do the searching here yourself on RV net or iRV2 to find them. I'm rebuilding an old Chevy 283 engine and only have a minute or two break time now and again. Sorry.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anyone at Quartzsite that can repair them? I'll probably be there before I get to Oregon.
Brian

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hah!. That shop has no idea what their talking about. There is NO inert gas in an RV dual paned window (but I understand people have tried to order them) because a house that drives down the road is bound to develop small leaks. Most don't amount to any problems. Inert gas is not a panacea even in a S&B house. The benefits gained are marginal. It's like using nitrogen in tires or calling furniture coverings 'Leatherette', or putting vinyl siding on a brick house. A sales gimmick to part you from your money.

Anywho, there is a place up in Oregon mentioned earlier that will do them for you. Maybe it's time for a ROAD TRIP!!!!!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I've just spent the last hour calling severa places and no one repairs dual pane windows. I've called glass shops, rv repari shops, even a Camping World......can't find anyone in central CA. They all say they can replace them.heck I can do that. One shop told me if they were repaired and an inert gas was not placed between the panes, it was basically a waste to have dual pane windows. Any suggestions? Thanks
Brian

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
Given the relative lack of difference in R values between single pane and dual pane windows I believe there is an excessive amount of "old wives tale" hype involved. If one does their research they will find single pane has an R value of approximately .8 depending on thickness while dual pane windows are around 2, some a little higher and some lower, also dependent on thickness. Dual pane windows in one's RV are not the same as insulated windows in one's S & B home. Are dual pane windows better for temperature control? Marginally. Are they better for noise abatement? Marginally. If you feel they are worth the cost go for it. But they are not the cat's meow as so many claim.

x2

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Given the relative lack of difference in R values between single pane and dual pane windows I believe there is an excessive amount of "old wives tale" hype involved. If one does their research they will find single pane has an R value of approximately .8 depending on thickness while dual pane windows are around 2, some a little higher and some lower, also dependent on thickness. Dual pane windows in one's RV are not the same as insulated windows in one's S & B home. Are dual pane windows better for temperature control? Marginally. Are they better for noise abatement? Marginally. If you feel they are worth the cost go for it. But they are not the cat's meow as so many claim.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have dual pane and will never have single pane. All I have to do is compare the amount of condensation on the single pane cab area windows to the dual pane in cold weather and the amount of cold that comes thru the windshield to the dual pane. That convinces me.

Having owned a number of RV's over many years, I humbly disagree. Our most recent Winnebago (new in 2005) had dual panes and all were failing within a relatively short time. We've used our units extensively in both cold (snowmobiling) and hot weather - the failure rate of dual pane in MH's isn't worth the negligible advantage. Good shades/blinds provide the same advantage w/o the longterm problems/costs.
Gary & Liesel
Cocoa, our Chocolate Lab companion
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
Trap wrote:
DanTheRVMan wrote:
Trap wrote:
DanTheRVMan wrote:
Fogging is the only real consideration on single vs dual pane windows. So if you are in the cold a lot and can not stand fogging get dual pane.I know some one will bring up noise and heat/cooling. But windows are so small. Plastic vents are worse. Walls and the front windows are the same.

Well maybe it's because I live far enough north to see the real benefit of dual pane windows, but since having dual pane windows in the last 2 rv's. I will say there is a huge difference when it gets cold and raining. I will never have single pane again.

Trap, please reread my first two sentences

"Fogging is the only real consideration on single vs dual pane windows. So if you are in the cold a lot and can not stand fogging get dual pane."

Dan as HiTek pointrd out the difference in the cool to colder weather is huge in how warm you stay, with dual pane windows

The only thing he pointed out was that he had the Alaska PAC. Which means a heck of a lot more insulation than just dual pane windows. Usually enclosed, insulated and sometimes heated underbelly. Now that alone makes all the difference. The comfort he was feeling was definetly not from just dual panes.

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Trap wrote:

Dan as HiTek pointrd out the difference in the cool to colder weather is huge in how warm you stay, with dual pane windows

If you reread his post he mentions the alaska pak and the gives all credit to the dual pane windows without considering anything in the alaska pak

The difference in the windows is small - there will be condensation as I have mentioned - you fail to consider the size of walls, ceiling, front windows, floor, and plastic roof vents.

Failing to consider the affects of an alaska pak show the bias in your evaluation.

Yes the windows are slightly different, but the total area of windows is small in comparison to all other components so there is not a huge affect other than the fogging at the windows.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
DanTheRVMan wrote:
Trap wrote:
DanTheRVMan wrote:
Fogging is the only real consideration on single vs dual pane windows. So if you are in the cold a lot and can not stand fogging get dual pane.I know some one will bring up noise and heat/cooling. But windows are so small. Plastic vents are worse. Walls and the front windows are the same.

Well maybe it's because I live far enough north to see the real benefit of dual pane windows, but since having dual pane windows in the last 2 rv's. I will say there is a huge difference when it gets cold and raining. I will never have single pane again.

Trap, please reread my first two sentences

"Fogging is the only real consideration on single vs dual pane windows. So if you are in the cold a lot and can not stand fogging get dual pane."