cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a 50amp line to plug into

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got rid of a hot tub on my deck that saw no use.
I have a 50 amp breaker for it in my panel. I checked the two hot legs at disconnect were hot tub was and have 240v,120v from each hot to ground and 0v from neutral to ground. Picked up some wire and a rv outdoor power outlet a 50 amp 14-50R.
Pluged in my progressive industries surge protector and it said all was good. Pluged into rv and blows breaker at panel.
I'm going to call my electrician buddy but looking for suggestions.
Here is a pic of the breaker that blows in the panel. It has a test button on it could that be the cause? To dark outside for any others.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
59 REPLIES 59

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
That picture seems to have a problem with addition.
'electric doctor photos' needs to take an actual measurement instead of just creating graphics from stray images.

I don't know what math you are using, but the picture is correct.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
GFI breaker.
Disconnect the neutral from breaker and connect it to the neutral buss. Disconnect smaller neutral from breaker that goes to neutral buss.

I'm pretty sure doing this will solve the problem. I'm going to grab a different breaker without the gfi so I have it when electrican comes.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Tom N wrote:
50 AMP RV WIRING

50 AMP HOT TUB/RANGE/WELDER WIRING

NOTE: THEY ARE IDENTICAL

Tom, W3TLN

Yes will be interesting to see if he has the same - as his picture is only of the FUSE BOX.

14-50R NEMA receptacle is 4 wire, rated at 50-Amp 125/250-Volt

This is what is needed and if wired correctly should be fine - The Ground Fault thing is not something that I would think should be there in the Fuse Box.

But will leave that to the "Real" electrician, which you should consult with.

As per my original post I have the same readings. Here are some pics.

Also in my original post I will be contacting my electrical contractor and have him stop over. I'm not a electrician or pretend to be one.
2015 Wrangler JKU

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
That picture seems to have a problem with addition.
'electric doctor photos' needs to take an actual measurement instead of just creating graphics from stray images.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
50 AMP RV WIRING

Tom, W3TLN

Yes will be interesting to see if he has the same - as his picture is only of the FUSE BOX.

14-50R NEMA receptacle is 4 wire, rated at 50-Amp 125/250-Volt

This is what is needed and if wired correctly should be fine - The Ground Fault thing is not something that I would think should be there in the Fuse Box.

But will leave that to the "Real" electrician, which you should consult with.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
So happy to see everyone is agreeable. None of them have any idea what they are talking about. :h

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Your house 50 amp is different than an RV 50 amp. Your house runs two hot leads and a ground while the RV runs two hots, a neutral, and a ground. What an RV circuit actually is is two 120 volt separate circuits. Nothing in your RV requires the 240 volts your house delivers. You RV only needs 120 volts. Your RV fuse box will be divided into two separate 110 circuits.

This is not totally correct. Without getting into a details that will make anyone's eyes bleed, armchair electricians should be very careful dispensing advice.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
GFI breaker.
Disconnect the neutral from breaker and connect it to the neutral buss. Disconnect smaller neutral from breaker that goes to neutral buss.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
50 AMP RV WIRING

Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
Your house 50 amp is different than an RV 50 amp. Your house runs two hot leads and a ground while the RV runs two hots, a neutral, and a ground. What an RV circuit actually is is two 120 volt separate circuits. Nothing in your RV requires the 240 volts your house delivers. You RV only needs 120 volts. Your RV fuse box will be divided into two separate 110 circuits.

?????
Interesting last 50 amp house circuit I ran for an electric range had two hot legs, a neutral and a ground. An RV circuit is no different.as stated by the OP he has 240 across the two hots. I would be checking the RV to see what would cause the GFIC to trip.
As to an RV only having 120 available also not 100% true, my Cheap Heat uses 240 volts on a 30 amp sub panel that is tapped into the inbound 50 amp feed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:

Not at all true. 50 amp RV service is identical to house service save for the size of the circuit breaker. Mains in a house are often 150-250 amps. not 50. but all the same wires

Hot/Neutral/Hot and Safety ground are all present in exactly the same configuration.. NO DIFFERENCE at all. Not one bit.

The only difference worth mentioning is that the breaker panel in the RV is wired as a SUB panel.. Not a "Main" panel.. but this too can be done in a house. I had a "Sub" panel in my garage for example.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a GFI breaker, code requires one for a hot tub. I installed one for our hot tub. I'd replace the breaker with a regular 50 amp double pole breaker. It should already be a 3 wire feed. I see 2 hots and neutral and there is almost certainly a ground.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
That is a 50amp gfi breaker for a 3wire sauna application. Your hot tub was actually 240v not two 120's. If you look at the tub, you are only hooking up two hots and a ground. By hooking that curly pigtail white wire(a dead giveaway for gfi), you are not providing a true neutral to the panel, only completing the circuit for the gfi portion of the breaker. Ditch the gfi breaker and run a true 4 wire connection(2 hots, neutral, and ground to a double 50a breaker.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like a GFCI breaker or similar so I assume you have some type of ground fault in the RV. Could replace the breaker but I would still try to locate the issue. Start with turning off all breakers in the RV and plug in again. Turn on one breaker at a time and see what trips. Start with the main and then each branch circuit.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE