cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running with air

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you run with your house air using your generator? We are planning a trip to the Midwest in a couple weeks and the dash air doesn't work. Hasn't for some time, no one can find the problem and besides, it doesn't cool the coach.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
28 REPLIES 28

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
always do it
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep...crank the generator and run the A/C. You only lose about a half a mile to one mile per gallon. But be sure to stop for fuel when it gets just below half a tank because around a quarter-tank, most gen-sets will shut down.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
When its HOT...and the sun is coming in thru the big windshiels...you can bet your last buck I have my genset running and every AC unit I have pumping out cool air
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

eXodusRV
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the Dash A/C is, it's designed for the Cab of delivery Van.
So it's not sufficient to cool a whole RV.

Better(not newer) Class A and Class C have Curtain behind the driver area, which you can close while driving. After this fix the Dash A/C does a great Job.

I didn't have this curtains, - just got a Tension loaded Shower-rod and installed a nice looking shower curtain. Cools my cab about 20 degrees lower then without. Living in sunny Florida.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to try to out story a story, but I had to work in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and other than stopping it or a few minutes to add some oil, the generator ran, non-stop for 9 days and nights. Thank goodness for power when none is available anywhere else!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours when the dash won't keep up.

danny124
Explorer
Explorer
When we are on the road driving or overnighting in a non camp ground I run the generator. That's what they're for. I have run mine for over 48 hours without ever shutting it down.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dash air has not worked since buying my coach,(13 year's) we always travel in warm weather(mostly, just got back from Parker, Az@ 116 degree's)...anyways, we always use roof air's and I just bought a portable unit which I'll use in the house and in the front on the MH to keep me cooler going down the road. In the hot Sun, that heat comes in hard and fast through that big old windshield.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the road, or parked, my wife does NOT hesitate to crank up the generator and then turn on the air conditioners. The convenience and comfort of traveling in a big motorhome is important to both of us,......and the "menagerie".
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
Every time it's warm out
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
If you have it, it works and you want to use it..... why would you choose not to?
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cab air when adequate and gen as needed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
BTPO1 wrote:
As others have said, I fire up the Generator and start the air. My dash air works, but it is useless IMO. If I keep the DW cool everyone is a lot happier. I don't think the extra fuel useage is as important as the comfort that the AC provides. JMO

Not only that, but you might find that the your mileage suffers considerably with the dash air, as well. That's quite a load on the engine and robs HP with these systems being the size of a small house unit. I mean how else to cool a car even, with so much inefficiency's to combat and without over-killing the size of it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it all the time, last thing we want is our rig to be hot when traveling during summer months.